Drove her off of the lot straight into BHGD... I think I just got bent over.

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Same thing hapened to my friend. He bought his from a guy who babied it all the time and wasnt a real car guy. He dropped it off at his house. My friend registers it the next day, calls me said he's coming over. Calls me back 15 mins later and says he has rod knock. Im sure in that 15 mins of driving it he beat the living shit out of it. I blame him for not even checking/changing the oil.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
Progress continues, sort of, I kinda feel like punching myself in the face at the moment, I just broke every single FI plug in. The little tabs were beyond brittle. I am also having serious issues getting the plugs underneath the lower intake track out. I saw somewhere that it may be possible to leave them connected and just take off the lower manifold then move it out of the way. She looked so clean on top, totally freakin filthy down here. Normally I like a dirty girl but this is ridiculous. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a virgin motor. Cause I pretty much need to replace every hose under the hood. Everything appears original and crispy, I'll probably need a new wiring harness too. I figure there is no way those injector connectors will stay put whilst driving....:nono:

Attachments

• SDC10136..jpg
    SDC10136..jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 13
  • SDC10140..jpg
    SDC10140..jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 12
  • SDC10137..jpg
    SDC10137..jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SDC10142..jpg
    SDC10142..jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 14
  • SDC10148..jpg
    SDC10148..jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 14

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Looks about like mine when I got it. She was sitting in a field and needed injectors and a turbo before I could even drive her home.

Just keep plugging away and before you know it you'll have a great daily driver.

Champion Toyota is a great place to get parts, I know there's another dealership but can't remember them off the top of my head. Driftmotion (vendor here) is another great place to deal with, they have all sorts of great SS hoses and other nice Supra odds and ends.

And I always hate how people call these money pits. For the ~$16k I'll have spent by the time I'm 'done' I couldn't have bought a new sports car that compares to her.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
mkiii222;1564570 said:
And I always hate how people call these money pits. For the ~$16k I'll have spent by the time I'm 'done' I couldn't have bought a new sports car that compares to her.

Ha! I said the same thing. Until the vehicle was still in the project phase at $16k. Now I'm in it for over double that. No MKIII owner is ever "done". There's always something to fix, add or upgrade.

These cars are money pits for sure. As is any 20+ year old vehicle that hasn't been properly maintained. Add in the 7M's known headgasket and oil systems issues; and you can break the bank very easily raising one of these vehicles from the dead.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
MarkIII4Me;1564654 said:
No MKIII owner is ever "done".

That's why I used the quotes around done. And 16k is when I'll have fresh paint, 3" turbo back, and fresh interior. I'll probably have another BHG shortly after that will require more $$$. But that's the car life.

It's either a cheapo point A to point B gas miser or spend the cash to have what you want.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
Nothing compares to the feeling of beating the crap out of a banshee that you built and modified yourself, I am sure this will be the same way, Sure it costs more, You break the bank your back and your knuckles but the adrenaline rush you get from going fast and being directly responsible is priceless. I've wanted a supra for a long time, I almost bought a jaguar xkr instead but, I am glad I didn't. I can't wait to bring her back better than ever. It looks like I have a long road ahead, but I am determined to make this happen quickly I can sleep when I'm done! Thanks for all the great tips and its eastern beaver for the WIN on wiring connectors! http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/SM-MT/sm-mt.html

Last edited:

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
I drove mine a week then the tranny went. $1500 later back on the road for another week then the BHG. That was 2 yrs ago and still not going. Though now she will be ALONG way from stock. Not to mention the wasted money on the trans. Got a th350 now. Maybe ill go out to the shop and work on mine.