Drove her off of the lot straight into BHGD... I think I just got bent over.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
BHG denial? I blew a rotten hose at the back of the head, replaced the busted hose then flushed the coolant, saw some scale and a lot of brown but no rainbows, after the flush the waterfalls behind the dash started, so i trolled around here a bit, then burped her, waterfalls were gone, but, on the test drive after burping, Instant overheat...I get no heat from the vents, and it looks like the servos are operating. If i run the engine up to operating temp with the radiator cap off it starts to circulate hot water just fine, so I think the thermostat is good, but the water starts bubbling and gushing out, and now there is some serious white smoke from the exhaust, however it is very cold tonight, and my truck was blowing white smoke also, only no where near as much... 2700 bucks for a car that doesn't run. :( Car is my dream ride, A silver 91 targa turbo 5-speed. Bone stock, muffler, stereo, everything. I bought the car from a small car dealer on ebay. It's weird, never overheated once, not until I burped it. I drove it home 300+ miles and she ran perfect. Seemed like a great deal until now, Totally thoroughly bummed out. I drove it for one day...I just needed to rant a little, guess its time for some mods, I planned on staying stock a little longer than one day but, Oh well.
Pictures
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=22698&id=100000113707924&l=b26c106300

Last edited:

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
Nope,Ace-Tec auto cambridge PA, Buyer Beware! goes by Viper1609 on ebay. I changed the thermostat, test drove it and my spidey sense started tingling. So I jumped out and yanked the oil cap , BAM sure, enough tiny splatters of yellow snot, I've been checking every five minutes. I Never let it get more than halfway hot, though and as soon as I heard the electric fans kick in I shut her down and waited every time. Thinking about the 60 dollar graphite kit from ebay? Looks better than felpro, I need to start trolling Sighs.. at least its official now, BHG on my first day, why does it feel like I just bought a banshee....:)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Gosh- I hate to say this, but if it's really a mint 91 all-original, I think i could handle a BHG on my first day!
The 'brown and scale' tells me that oil had probably getting into the coolant for some time. I would remove the engine and do a full rebuild.
Oil pump, bearings, full gasket set, water pump, ARP studs for the head. Then you know what you're starting with.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
supraguy@aol;1562971 said:
Gosh- I hate to say this, but if it's really a mint 91 all-original, I think i could handle a BHG on my first day!
The 'brown and scale' tells me that oil had probably getting into the coolant for some time. I would remove the engine and do a full rebuild.
Oil pump, bearings, full gasket set, water pump, ARP studs for the head. Then you know what you're starting with.

Agreed...

Sorry about the mishap man, sucks to get a BHG on the first day with your favorite car haha...
I couldn't imagin, i atleast got to drive my 90 5speed turbo for 4-5monthes before it blew so i was happy heh.

But yea if you got the money and time do a full rebuild to make it super reliable and last forever!

Regardless it would of blew, so i guess in turn it was better that it blew now than on you while you were far from home or on a trip.

EDIT: Yea i just looked at those pictures, that thing is MINT! awsome find man, other than the BHG.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The percentage of these cars having BHG very soon after purchase is much higher than you would imagine. My old white car lasted 4-5 days......before I noticed it was bad. BHG increases your knowledge of the car. Do plenty of studying, and know exactly what you are going to do before doing it wrong. Do a full rebuild, not just a gasket swap. Coolant is not good for your bearings. Many who do gasket only soon find Rod Knock.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Bought my 90T off of ebay 7 years ago and the same thing happened to me. The engine apparently was driven with a bhg for so long prior to my purchase, I had to junk the entire engine and order in a JDM and rebuild it. As far as I'm concerned, I would never buy a MKIII if it had not already had a head gasket job. That's just me tho.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
Arp studs, a radiator, and a water pump at the very least, I drained the oil, and it looked great no sparkles or milky goo. There was only the tiniest bit of residue under the oil cap but my guts had been telling me all along what was up, I'm gonna ask the stealership to compensate me by purchasing all oem gaskets for the rebuild. Yeah right, maybe when pigs sprout turbos' The ebay chepo kits are out, but the 'stone' kit for 150 bucks doesn't look too bad, I'll probably get cometic, I like them for quads. So, when you pull the motor Is it best to just drop the drive shaft and take the tranny out too, or do people generally separate them in the car? I was thinking of taking the motor out, bearings are cheap insurance. Plus I can get a hold of a cherry picker. Unfortunately there are no machine shops I know of that are good with these motors, does anyone know of any in or near Ohio or WV? That would be great.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ForcedTorque;1562979 said:
The percentage of these cars having BHG very soon after purchase is much higher than you would imagine. My old white car lasted 4-5 days......before I noticed it was bad. BHG increases your knowledge of the car. Do plenty of studying, and know exactly what you are going to do before doing it wrong. Do a full rebuild, not just a gasket swap. Coolant is not good for your bearings. Many who do gasket only soon find Rod Knock.

A buddy here got 8Km's (8 kilometres/5 miles) with his 18000 original mile Ma70 before it let go!

Had to go rescue him with a trailer....

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 7M.

Mine blew less than a week after I got it home. But like you I got the Targa Turbo that I always wanted (though I prefer the 87 style).

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Overheated before.....

that is what that brown stuff is ;)

Guess I was lucky with my car...never had a bhg, owned the thing since 94. Died due to rod knock though caused by low oil condition on a leaking hose from the oil cooler.

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
I bought mine with a spun bearing for 1500 bucks rebilt the motor and found out the rear end is junk going to get one this weekend finally. Oh and my radiator won't seal and leaks every where. Did I metion I only drove mine to the front of the house and there it still sits so your doing better than me. lol

juncboi

Yeah, snooping around.
Jan 31, 2009
Sacramento
Bought my 90T with BHG. IMO, 7M's are a dime a dozen. Rebuild yours or find one to rebuild. A clean 91 or 92 Turbo body/shell with a good interior is extremely hard to find.

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
I'm gonna keep buying her nice things and hopefully she'll love me back someday, I Got an oem headgasket coming from the stealership, ARP undercut headstuds and a cometic top end kit from SIP on ebay. I am hopeful that when I am done it'll be nice and reliable, up to around 300 horses. Anything else I should be changing while I am in there? Ive been trolling a bit but am having trouble finding any specifics. Going to get a water pump for sure just in case. Thinking about getting the radiator re-cored too. I've found a couple of cracked hoses already and I just got started. I noticed my turbo shaft has a little play in it also saw some headers on ebay but was not sure if they are worth the money, awfully cheap price good looking pictures, and usually that means its to good to be true. Still need to get a haynes manual, but started tearing into it cause I can't stand waiting

Last edited:

91TurboSilver

May 5, 2010
WV
Dang! I just bought a haynes on ebay, oh well it was only 13 bucks shipped. the pdf link is great, much easier to see than the online one, I'm gonna print a few pages and go out to dig a little deeper, so many vacuum lines! more pics to follow, been thinking about a turbo rebuild kit or possibly a Lipp Boss JR from suprasport, I think I may have to much play in my turbo shaft and as I understand it this is not a good thing to have. TSRM rocks though, thanks!!!

Last edited:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Sucks how quickly it went out on you, but its good to see you have the budget to fix it right! May I suggest a upgraded CT-26? You can fetch them from driftmotion for a good price in my opinion. That would keep it simple.

My 86 went for about 20k miles before the headgasket blew, had no previous info on past repairs (if any) too.

Good luck!