Don't let this happen to you!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Poodles;1355506 said:
At least use fuel stabilizer....

That looks like a lot of water got into the gas as well, surprised it even ran (or did it?)

Luckily we checked it before trying to start it (but the pump does not work), the gas smelled so bad that we had to look in the tank, and we were going to put in a Walbro anyway. The last thing we want is rust from the tank getting pumped into the injectors. We're going to run carb cleaner and compressed air backwords through the hard lines and put in a new filter.

The plates on the car expired in 2004, so it's probably been sitting that long. The car is completely rust free other then inside the gas tank.

That's very interesting about the Ethanol in the gas causing problems, I didn't know that.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Wow, this is some really good info! I'm glad I clicked on this thread. My car may be sitting for several months and I'm kind of worried now.

Some of you guys are suggesting to empty the tank and some are suggesting to fill the tank so there would be less oxygen to cause corrosion. I don't really know a damn thing about this stuff, so what would be the best option?

Sorry for the quick thread jack.

Who

Supramania Contributor
The Marine mechanics generally recommend that you keep your fuel tanks empty when you don't use your boat for months at a time. If you cant empty your tank or use your boat frequently you should keep your tank full. Full tanks eliminate that air space between the the fuel and the tank wall that can hold humid air and changes in temperature which causes a vent out and vacuum into the fuel tank. Just remember that marine tanks are not pressurized and are open to air. Next on the list is the use of old school fuel stabilizer Stabil all year round. One more pleasant surprise that ethanol fuel provides is the drop in octane when it goes through phase separation. Ethanol is used in fuel to raise its octane rating. When the fuel separates you get a big drop in octane.
I'm no Supramania guru but my limited knowledge of mechanics tells me that low octane equals "Detonation"

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, not to mention ethanol after seperating will evaporate first leaving you with a lower octane gas, hence why having a working evap. system on your car is a good thing.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If it's only going to be down for a few months, just put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, but make sure to drive it around for a few miles to circulate the stabilizer before parking it. If it's going to sit for more then 6 months for sure, then I would drain the tank.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
My car sat for 7 years confirmed! And it was not that bad. But it was stored in a garage and had a full tank which difinately helps. Fuel pump was bad but I was amazed that it look clean inside. Gas did small pretty rancid though.

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Oct 29, 2006
Bethpage, New York, United States
My car has been sitting for about 2 years here and 1 year with the previous owner lol. I will look for the drain before I drop it to change all the wiring and the pump. Do you recomend sending it somewhere to get boiled out or should I clean it myself? Any tips?

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I'm not sure if summit sells it but there is a tank recondition kit.

I can't remember if it patches holes too. But basically you clean it with the cleaner they give you, then recoat the inside with what they give you to prevent this from happening again.

Coating the outside is easy too.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Wow! Looks just like the tank/pump I just took out of my AE102. It had been sitting 2-3 years before I got it. I pulled the injectors, flushed the line and swapped in another tank and pump.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Well this story had a happy ending....the car got a new lease on life!

A replacement gas tank, Walbro pump, a 1jz swap, and a shiny new single turbo kit! :)

sm_photo_missing.jpg