Don't let this happen to you!

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Holy hell. I thought mine looked bad..... dayummmmmmmm.

I gotta take my tank down again, figire out how to clean it, and get a new sock in the pump I just installed a few months ago. My car sat for 2 years before I got it and you can tell by the inside of the tank :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
At least use fuel stabilizer....

That looks like a lot of water got into the gas as well, surprised it even ran (or did it?)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I've had several cars sit for a long time and never seen that happen. Must be a local additive (or owner-added octane "booster").

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
adampecush;1355508 said:
I've had several cars sit for a long time and never seen that happen. Must be a local additive (or owner-added octane "booster").

Yea, no shit, that's just unreal! My 89 sat for almost a year with 1/4 tank and it didn't do anything to the pump, granted I cleaned it and drained it before turning it over but still.

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
mine was siting for a confirmed four years. 4gals taken out of tank then used in lawn mower. not bad at all

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I always wonder about this problem since my old supra sat for about 4 years with it being driven at most once every 6 months and it ran fine without having to do anything with the gas.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1355497 said:
Wonder if it's something in US fuel never seen that here ever :aigo:

Do they put ethanol in your fuel over there? I am thinking leaving a tank low letting it sit will cause problems. The more full the tank is the less air in the tank to cause rusting and corrosion, seeing as oxygen is needed to let rust form.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
There are different additives in different areas which I'm sure accounts for some difference in "storability"

I've had one car that had terrible gas. (87 MR2) The gas didn't even smell like gasoline. More like limestone sludge or sulfur or something. New pump, new gas, started right up.

Had a lawn mower that I got for free. Hadn't been used for 2 years wouldn't start. New gas in the tank and bam, started right up.

Finally got a trimmer this spring. Hadn't been used for 2 years, wouldn't start. Drained gas, refilled, started up first or second pull.

Maybe colorado gets additives that hurt long term storing?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
scubajtw;1355678 said:
Do they put ethanol in your fuel over there? I am thinking leaving a tank low letting it sit will cause problems. The more full the tank is the less air in the tank to cause rusting and corrosion, seeing as oxygen is needed to let rust form.

They tried to at one point without saying anything and it fucked up a lot of cars now it's advertised and sold as such.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Ethanol mixed fuel is bad news when it is stored or not used up on a regular basis. The Marine industry is having issues with the ethanol mix in the fuel. Down here in hot and humid south Florida the gasohol attracts and absorbs water. I read somewhere that ethanol mixed fuels can absorb 10 times the amount of water that the previous blend of gasoline could. When phase separation occurs the water and ethanol sink to the bottom of the tank. The ethanol is a solvent and it eats away at the rubber hoses, plastic and fiberglass fuel tanks and corrodes aluminum tanks as well. The real kick in the sack is the use of ethanol with two stroke engines. When the ethanol separates from gas it displaces the oil or lubricant in the gas. The fix for now is to keep your tanks topped off, use synthetic lubricant designed for ethanol, add fuel saver to the tank and make sure your fuel system is as air tight and water tight as possible. Google "phase separation".

Last edited: