Degreaser...that works??

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Wow, thank you for all the responses everyone!

It seems as if I will be picking up some Purple Power tomorrow! Haha

One last thing, any personal preferences as to what brush/brushes I should use?

Thanks everyone!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Suprapowaz!(2);1826877 said:
If you leave it soaking. If you just spray, wipe, and rinse you'll be fine.

Varying degrees of etching, but if his engine bay is that dirty, he's going to have to let it sit...

Oven cleaner is obviously the worst of the bunch (I've used it to degrease a driveshaft that I was going to repaint anyway, took EVERYTHING off). I'd say real Castrol Superclean is second worst as it will instantly remove the gloss from any painted surfaces. Purple Power isn't as bad, but it's still nasty. Simple Green is the safest (especially when diluted) and I use it to clean wheels all the time. It will do ugly things to bare aluminum though...

The actual Gunk engine degreaser works great, and won't eat anything (in fact the one I use you clean and then coat the engine bay to use as a detailer).

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Poodles if your etching the paint your letting it sit to long or its not dilluted enough. Even worse if its hot outside, so do it in the shade. Mist the bay, spray degreaser, scrub, rinse after 5-10 minutes, repeat.

Oven cleaner works great for the trans, again pay attention and dont let it sit.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Just a little fuel to the fire

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-de...9319-simple-green-aluminum-embrittlement.html (seems like the original document is missing from the DoD site)

Castrol Superclean is discontinued, but it's far worse on eating aluminum, rubber, and paint (for instance, I've stripped paint off of plastic with it before, only certain plastics aren't affected). Purple Power appears to be the same stuff, if maybe a bit diluted.

Also, etching =/= polishing ;)

But, whatever, it's your car. There's far safer things to use (ESPECIALLY around aluminum and rubber)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Yeah... get yourself a good brush and even with simple green you should be able to get everything off. I cleaned my 23 year old subframe with the GUNK stuff, a plastic scraper, Simple Green and a plastic bristle brush. And brake cleaner, but only to blast off the mud that result from all my previous scrubbing. Then I wipe everything down with a towel sprayed with simple green. Then, I use spray on quick detailer.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Supra_dan;1826633 said:
Holy...SHIT! Okay, you gotta help me out haha, what EXACTLY did you use, how long did you let it sit. Did you use a brush to aide in getting it that clean, or you just rinsed off with water? Wow that came out very, very good.

Anything you can comment about the cleaning of that would be very appreciated :)

I personally don't like the smell of simple green. It makes me nausious for some reason. idk why. I took two spray bottles one with water one with purple power (full strength). Like others said, as soon as you get one spot clean, spray down with water and wipe it down cause it can and will mess up your paint. If you're repainting, then you got nothing to worry about. I bought one of those non metallic detailing brushes cause I started with a tooth brush and just kept getting all gunky. Also depending on the detail brush you get, they are made to get into all the weird angles. It takes awhile but works great. Just work one section at a time. Get a good amount of rags or paper towels to wipe it down with. Good Luck!

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
gunk heavy duty gel worked perfect for me, i let it sit for 10-15min and comes right off, even the baked on oil, but a brush and rags will help even more