Degreaser...that works??

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay okay, so here is the deal. I hate a dirty engine bay.

Yes I have searched, no I didn't find what I was looking for.

I have purchased simple green, does not work well.
I have purchased Gunk heavy duty engine degreaser (gel type), didn't work.

I'm at a loss here. There has got to be something that works the magic touch.

A friend of mine told me a while ago, that oven cleaner works? Or something along those lines. Can anyone chip in about that?

So please, if you have used the above products and they did not work that well for you either, please share what you have used that works!

Also, anyone else with any info please chime in!

Thanks guys/gals :D

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Wow, I have used both of those with Very good results, nothing will cut everything instantly. Simple Green works very well.
It may take several applications to get the job done. A small brush after application helps to get into small places and loosen
thick buildup. Be patient.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Personally I prefer super purple or purple power... although I have had good luck with the industrial strength simple green automotive degreaser

Sent from my C771

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
Purple power ftmfw!!

before
p1826627_1.jpg

after
p1826627_2.jpg

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Wayne G.;1826617 said:
Wow, I have used both of those with Very good results, nothing will cut everything instantly. Simple Green works very well.
It may take several applications to get the job done. A small brush after application helps to get into small places and loosen
thick buildup. Be patient.

I've heard simple green is a very well liked product..Maybe i'm not using a good brush or something? Is there a particular one you think I should be using? I'm assuming something somewhat hard but not metal spikes haha.

jdmfreak;1826623 said:
Personally I prefer super purple or purple power... although I have had good luck with the industrial strength simple green automotive degreaser

Sent from my C771

Super purple or purple power.. are they the same product?

supra1008;1826627 said:
Purple power ftmfw!!

before

after

Holy...SHIT! Okay, you gotta help me out haha, what EXACTLY did you use, how long did you let it sit. Did you use a brush to aide in getting it that clean, or you just rinsed off with water? Wow that came out very, very good.

Anything you can comment about the cleaning of that would be very appreciated :)

Spanish Surprise;1826628 said:
I've used simple green and purple power with good results. Sounds like you need to get a can of elbow grease :p

Hahah, not gonna lie, that was pretty damn good, I can't find that elbow grease in any stores though :D

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
I used a mix of 50% water, 10% dish soap, and 40% simple green. Rinse after 5-10 minutes and apply more as it can eat the paint. If its really gunky, use steam pressure washer. Oven cleaner will destroy everything.

p1826653_1.jpg

p1826653_2.jpg

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you're repainting use purple power and let it sit. If not, use it but don't let it sit or it will etch the paint. That's all I ever use. I never had much luck with simple green, it always seemed too weak. I use a pressure washer first to blast heavy stuff off. No point in wasting cleaner on stuff that's too thick for the cleaner to dissolve.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
No matter what you use, make sure to rinse/wipe it all away after it's done it's job. No sense in risking the paint if you don't intend to repaint it. ;)

Chris13002

Sep 20, 2010
Maryland
I agree... Purple Power did a great job for me - gunk/grease/dirt/even a bit of rust... I just made sure I rinsed it off afterwards...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Power wash the bay first to get all the heavy gunk off. Spray straight purple power over it all. Wear some gloves and wipe it all down with a rag. Nylon brush for all the crevaces you can't reach. Rinse off well with water hose.

Warning, you don't wear gloves while working with purple power it will severly dry out your skin.

I used it for my R154. I used a scoth pad because there wasn't any paint finish to worry about ruining.

0153qa.jpg

027ehc.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Simple Green, Purple Power (Castrol Super Clean), and oven cleaner will all do terrible things to paint (and aluminum...and rubber...)

If I'm remembering right, there's a Gunk Engine Brite that can also be used as a detailer. That's what I use.

If your engine bay is bad, you're going to have to scrub, as anything harsh enough to take off decades of crud is also harsh enough to eat everything that isn't steel :rofl:

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
I know this sounds stupid and like a troll. But I use Penetraiting oil on stuborn grease. It cuts right through, but you gotta scrub with a rag and wipe it down after with another clean rag. Also it leaves a nice shine on that paint.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Do not use oven cleaner. EVER.

It's so caustic that it can and will etch/eat away metal.. the caveat is that there are various degrees of the stuff, but I'd steer clear.

You might find it surprising, but the same GOJO that we use to clean our hands works great for cleaning motors, engine bays, and remarkably cleaning carbon off my SIG 5.56 carbine.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Whatever you use your gonna have to scrub, and remember to rinse thoroughly. Once that's done I used a little rubbing compound by hand. Works great.