Dashboard care

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey guys/gals

Something just popped into my head while I was working and I want to make sure I get it down here before I forget about it.

We all know these cars and others (240sx's and well, a lot of 90's cars lol) love to crack their dashboards.

I want to know if anyone has any concrete recommendations on a protector for our dashes. Mine happens to be in great shape and I'd really love to keep it that way.

What is it anyways? Vinyl?

Regardless, any input is appreciated and i'm sure the people who don't have cracked dashboards will appreciate it too!

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
ahh I dunno about that one haha.

Let me rephrase. I read over my post and what I mean to say is: a conditioner of sorts.

For instance, I have Lexol cleaner and conditioner for my Personal steering wheel. Wurth rubber care for my targa seals/door seals/hatch seals. All rubber really (stuff works fantastic by the way, definitely recommend it!!)

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
There is also a clear tint that will filter out the damaging UV from the sun. I had it installed on my windshield and it also minimize the heat from coming in the cabin. The clear tint is somewhat pricey, but I think it's worth it. Otherwise, put a dash cover.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
supraguy@aol;1992317 said:
I've read that 303 aerospace protectant is good for vinyl, unlike Armorall.

Bingo. Only issue with it is that it leaves the dash shiny, I don't like glare from the dash but unless it's suede it's gonna do it...

If you have to use something you buy at a local store that doesn't have 303, use a leather conditioner as it contains a UV protectant and isn't just silicone and alcohol...

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
If your Walmart has the fabric section get a yard or so of thick soft material ( I used to use a towel) when you park for extended time slide it on top to cover dash and steering wheel. Takes just a bit of time. When ready to roll remove and put behind seats. Simple. No cracks on the old 89 and I went with targa off almost all the time Vegas heat is hot btw.

p1992373_1.jpg

Last edited:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
I put one of those dash mats on mine.people don't generally like them,but doesn't bother me

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
I use the Meguiars vinyl cleaner and conditioner on the dash and the vinyl parts of the door panels. Seems to work well on both.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
reydio;1992322 said:
There is also a clear tint that will filter out the damaging UV from the sun. I had it installed on my windshield and it also minimize the heat from coming in the cabin. The clear tint is somewhat pricey, but I think it's worth it. Otherwise, put a dash cover.

This is basically what I did. I had my tint place put 50% on the windshield. Its hard to tell it's even there, doesn't affect visibility, and with the ceramic tint it blocks all the UV rays and keeps a significant amount of heat out as well.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hmmm all good suggestions.

I bought a custom windshield reflector for it, blocks out about 98% sunlight. Just don't want to cover it with a rug or something lol. Going to look into that 303 stuff

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
I have a side business of doing car detail. If my customers want the platinum service, they get the Aerospace 303. Read up on it. It is head and shoulders above the rest.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I just picked up a fitted dashmat to go on my replacement dash.
I think the fitted ones look fine, and you can always pull it off if you're 'showing' your car. But i will also look into a clear window film, since i have to replace my cracked windshield anyway. Also going to pick up the 303 protectant.

*edit- just ordered the 303.

Communistwookie

Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, TX
supraguy@aol;1992653 said:
I just picked up a fitted dashmat to go on my replacement dash.
I think the fitted ones look fine, and you can always pull it off if you're 'showing' your car. But i will also look into a clear window film, since i have to replace my cracked windshield anyway. Also going to pick up the 303 protectant.

*edit- just ordered the 303.

Have any pictures of the fitted dashmat? Where did you order it from?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
JDMMA70;1992632 said:
I dunno guys I kind of like my dashmat...

Dash mat works. I never made that decision but it looks good. If I recall on some cars they put a velcro stick on to keep it from moving and those are noticeable if they ever remove it for resale.

bhmsupra;1992633 said:
I have a side business of doing car detail. If my customers want the platinum service, they get the Aerospace 303. Read up on it. It is head and shoulders above the rest.

Have never tried the 303.

What I do know is that the pic I posted is from a daily driver after aproximately 14 years. Suggest anyone with long term, outdoor (no garage queen) exposure chime in. :beer:

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
I also use 303 on all my cars dash and it works great! No cracks! Its also has tons of others uses... my daughters outside plastic toys, tires, inflatable boats. I love that stuff and it works! I found 303 at Camping World for around $20 if you don't want to order it online.