custom intakes

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
seems somewhat open ended, alot of unanswered questions. for 350 i think you could complete the 2j upper conversion, and it would look factory. witch is what im looking to do.

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
man, so a RR FFIM is overkill? So you wanna pay less for something that deletes your ac, performs sub par, and is made with less attention to detail? So you want someone to half ass building one like ron? If your gonna do something do it right, or do it yourself.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
actually i want a precision CNC'd piece of aluminum, an adaptor so i can bolt on a factory 2jz upper intake. A/C is already out of the car, att. to detail is stock, quality is stock and it will perform better then stock, so itll do just fine, thanks.

Theres a diffrence between doing it right and paying top dollar for a part youll never fully take advantage of. Ron.R manifolds are built to flow whatever you can threw them, and do it the most efficient way possible, while looking as sexy as possible. (witch he does an amazing job at)

I personally, dont need a really efficient intake manifold that flows 1000 horsepower, and looks sexy doing it. All i need is a manifold that places the throttle body in the front, flows as good if not better then stock, and isnt flashy. (im a stealth kind of guy, not big into "bling") im not going to pay 8-900 dollars for an intake manifold when i dont need half its features. Only problem is the only front face intake manifolds out there are top of the line manifolds (with all above features) and they cost it.

Would you put a GT30R on a car your only looking for 300 horsepower, but put it on because the quality, attention to detail, and its "doing it right"? Or would you just get an upgraded CT26 that will do the job cheaper and easier and just as good as the 30R? why spend 2000 dollars to swap to a T3 turbo when a bolt on replacement will do the job just as good?

/rant

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
RonR's FFIM's come in 2 varieties, and one does keep A/C and is made to do pretty mcuh what you want it to do.

he also builds to order

IIRC Duane picked up something like 40HP from the FFIM alone, and he was at a much lower power level at the time...

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
when i made this post i was talking about the shape i see alot of rectangle intakes and was thinking of making one for that matter i do have access to a flow bench so we will see

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
I read awhile ago that Ron isn't making them anymore, atleast for the time being. Watch the for sale section like a hawk. As soon as someone posts one for sale, it's usually gone within minutes. If I was a skilled welder, I'd be all over making his style ffim in a heartbeat because there'd be a line around the corner for them. *cough* suggestion *cough*

As for a Ron ffim being overkill...I would only describe it as a custom piece done right, period.

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Poodles said:
RonR's FFIM's come in 2 varieties, and one does keep A/C and is made to do pretty mcuh what you want it to do.

he also builds to order

IIRC Duane picked up something like 40HP from the FFIM alone, and he was at a much lower power level at the time...

there either long or short runner, even the long runner (cheaper version) is more then most need. His quality is outstanding and you pay for it, i dont need something that high quality so im not going to pay that much, its just a matter of not wanting to pay for things i dont need.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
if i was going to buy a custom intake it would be his because among all others his are within 50-100 dollars. my point is i don't want to spend that much money on something i don't need.

thatsupraguy

Sep 18, 2007
cocoa fl
this is a problem i tackled by cutting the plenum off of the runners and using a piece of 1/4" aluminum as my base. i then welded on a piece of 6" exhaust piping. i worked it down to runner number 6 so that i would have equal velocity at all of the runners. i then used a piece of 1/2" aluminum to make my throttle body mount. the stock throttle body is big enough to handle up to 800 horsepower so you really don't need to upgrade, unless you want to. i then used a throttle cable out of a 4runner. it fits just barely but it works. i did this entire setup for about 200 bucks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
thatsupraguy said:
this is a problem i tackled by cutting the plenum off of the runners and using a piece of 1/4" aluminum as my base. i then welded on a piece of 6" exhaust piping. i worked it down to runner number 6 so that i would have equal velocity at all of the runners. i then used a piece of 1/2" aluminum to make my throttle body mount. the stock throttle body is big enough to handle up to 800 horsepower so you really don't need to upgrade, unless you want to. i then used a throttle cable out of a 4runner. it fits just barely but it works. i did this entire setup for about 200 bucks
Aluminium exhaust piping?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Nosechunks you have a PM,
I offer an option that might interest you! Take a look at it, it is half the cost of one of my customs and I did 440rwhp at 18psi not problem and it flows roughly 5% better across the board(this is the only design I did that I got flow tested!) But it is def the cheap way to do it!

Seth