custom intakes

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
any reason people are not making custom intakes like these for us? maybe the shape is no good? Comments?

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 91

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
What i meant was i was gonna make one and i just notice that they are usually tubular was thinking it had to do with flow

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
~$600 is a steal IMHO for one of the ones done by the people on these forums...

The only reason I haven't gone FFIM is I want to keep my cruise control, and it's not simple...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles said:

The only reason I haven't gone FFIM is I want to keep my cruise control, and it's not simple...
Just grab a RHD CC actuator it pushes the pedal inside the car :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
don't tempt me IJ...

means my newly purchased cooleeze pipes would go to waste...

but a lowly CT26 with a FFIM is a bit overkill IMHO, maybe when I go T04

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
It's been discussed before, but the easiest solution for a FFIM for the MKIII would be to (short of modifying the stocker) cut the top flange off the lower intake runner, and fab up a 2JZ flange to it where it will flow evenly so you can buy upgraded upper intake manis for the 2JZ for less $$. That, or just use a flange that bolts onto the intake side of the head, and fab up the runners going to the upper intake mani.

That way you can either get a stock 2J upper mani, or an aftermarket one, your choice...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Poodles said:

i agree its a decent price for a Ron.R manifold thats flow matched and perfectly designed, but it sucks when thats the only option, theres no budget manifolds.

it would be like if the only T4 manifolds available were Ron.R's, it would be sweet to have but overkill for most.

Im still waiting for that 7m lower to 2j upper manifold adapter......

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
somehow i think if you re-read this thread the problem presents itself..... What do MKIV guys do? they keep the stock manifold until its time to go big and they throw down Big $$$ for a Veilside or virtual works manifold. 800 for a Ron R manifold is a STEAL, I personally made my own FFIM because i can and I'll tell you if I made more, Especially of High quality like Ron's i would charge a lot more.

FFIM is the best mod you can do to your car IMO, (unless your whiny about A/C).... If you are not ready to Throw down the cash or modify your car that heavily then don't. But this community is very large and you really don't know how easy you have it, but if you keep looking for cheaper worse ways to go about it, you will eventually realize that you get what you pay for, and when building a car it is beyond important to use quality parts and do it right the first time

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
you get what you pay for when buying a Ron.R manifold, i realize that. i dont wana pay that much because i dont want/need something of that quality. a stock manifold would prolly be fine for my goals, but i would like the advantages of a FFIM. bigger TB, shorter piping, better intercoolers.

i dont need a polished, perfectly flowing, perfectly designed, beautiful piece of artwork, that will give me every available horsepower or ft/lb of torque you can possible get from a FFIM, i just need something that moves the throttle body to the front and flows as good as or better then the stock manifold.

like i said before, a Ron.R manifold is overkill for most.