CPS and "non reusable parts"

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
So I want to replace the O-ring on the CPS and the Toyota dealer can get the O-ring, but not the dowel and gear. They say the dowel and gear are listed as "non reusable parts" (which the TSRM says, too), but are no longer available. So the question is has anybody replaced this O-ring and re-used the dowel/gear with success?

Also, where does the o-ring go, exactly? I have an old CPS and the only O-ring I see is behind the larger gear, but the TSRM doesn't really show where it goes or how to replace the O-ring.

I can get a whole reman part for about $200, but if I can get a $2.50 O-ring, I'd rather do that...especially since I have an extra!

Thanks!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Do you mean o-ring or "seal" Lane?

The 0-ring should come off without removing the gear, the seal not ;)

In the past I've reused the gear and have just made a new pin from mild steel.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I suppose the O-ring. I have a slight leak from that area and I think the CPS is the culprit. Is the "seal" the part behind the large gear then? If the O-ring just slips over, does it rest against the CPS body and the cylinder head to prevent leaks?

Thanks, Ian!

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
Thanks, Ian! Pretty sure there isn't an O-ring on there which would create the problem! At least it's a two dollar fix!

Quickly followed by me smacking myself in the head... :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
CPT Furious;1503130 said:
Thanks, Ian! Pretty sure there isn't an O-ring on there which would create the problem! At least it's a two dollar fix!

Quickly followed by me smacking myself in the head... :)

I'm happy to provide that service as well :slap:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
CPT Furious;1503060 said:
So I want to replace the O-ring on the CPS and the Toyota dealer can get the O-ring, but not the dowel and gear. They say the dowel and gear are listed as "non reusable parts" (which the TSRM says, too), but are no longer available. So the question is has anybody replaced this O-ring and re-used the dowel/gear with success?

Also, where does the o-ring go, exactly? I have an old CPS and the only O-ring I see is behind the larger gear, but the TSRM doesn't really show where it goes or how to replace the O-ring.

I can get a whole reman part for about $200, but if I can get a $2.50 O-ring, I'd rather do that...especially since I have an extra!

Thanks!

Mine did the same thing, it was leaking on the exhaust manifold. I cut my old one off and took it to advance and got a o ring just a little bigger. It fit sloppy on the shaft but it fit really tight once I installed it. I had to put some oil on the o ring so it would not tear. I am talking about the one behind the large gear.

91supran/a

Offical BAMF!
Dec 10, 2007
Sterling, Virginia, United States
well while were on the topic i just installed a new oring this evening and while i had the cps out i took the black cover off and there was oil in it... and i went o shit i know thats not sposed to be in there. so ive heard that some ppl have rebuilt them how hard is it and what parts do i need? thanks

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
jdub;1503153 said:
You can always cut a gasket for the CPS flange too.

Heh, i never thought of that.

I just recently rebuilt my CPS, the hardest part is getting the pin out of the gear/shaft. I got one of the remaining 3 (At the Time) gear sets left in the country.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
CPT Furious;1503060 said:

Thanks!

Sounds like another lazy dealer that doesn't want to order them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kai;1503422 said:
Nope - the dealers can't order them because they're NLA. Believe me, i've tried. US, Canada, UK, Belgium & Japan - no more stock. They're gone. Forever.

I can still get remanned ones, so somebody has to make em.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
nosechunks;1503418 said:
Heh, i never thought of that.

I just recently rebuilt my CPS, the hardest part is getting the pin out of the gear/shaft. I got one of the remaining 3 (At the Time) gear sets left in the country.
I don't know who got the second to last one, but I know *I* got the last one.

I'm sure someone aftermarket is still cutting these gears, but Toyota is officially out of the game now.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm guessing he's talking not about the gear but entire remaned CPSs which are available from several sources. As long as the gear is OK they likely do what IJ said and reuse it. No big deal doing so. I've done it several times.