Coolant filter pics

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
Zumtizzle;1368962 said:
With a garden hose?

No he flushed with distilled water because of the hard metals and minerals that are contained in most of everyone's tap water. I think it was in an earlier post but those metals and minerals leave deposits in your cooling system.

James

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When I did the initial flush, I used tap water...including the oxalic acid flush. After the neutralization, I used 2-3 gal of distilled water. The 50/50 coolant was also with distilled water.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't see a reason for a new thread.

I ordered the marine filter head jdub mentioned
http://www.marineexpressusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50-20901
I found it eBay and it came with the pictured filter, is this filter ok to use? I don't see why it wouldn't be but JJ mentioned SCA's, and the eBay add doesn't really mention if it has conditioners or not. Also it mentions a hp limit??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
K thanks.
I had already ordered the 24069, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to throw away a filter I could use.

Pretty cheap addon for the piece of mind it gives, knowing your coolant system has that much less of a chance to clog.

Last edited:

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I was at napa and picked up my coolant filter(actually going in my jeep), napa #4070 and have a question. On the filter it reads:

"Napa, Coolant filter / Conditioner, 4070, Maximum Heavy Duty".

I'm worried with it saying conditioner that it has the additives in it? When I looked it up on napas site they show the picture that just reads "Coolant filter" and the same with the Wix version on fleetfilter.com. Should I return this one or is it ok to use do you think?

[sorry about the PM jdub I had signatures turned off so I didn't see yours]

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Last I checked the 4071 has SCAs. The 4070 does not and never has. You can cross reference it to be sure but you should be OK. Does it rattle when you shake it?

Edit: Just checked and you're good to go. Since Napa is rebranded WIX if you put a 2 in front of a Napa number you get the WIX number. The Napa 4070 crosses to a WIX 24070 which is a coolant filter with no SCAs. The 24069 (NAPA 4069) is just a shorter version of the same filter. It also contains no SCAs. ...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jetjock;1602161 said:
Last I checked the 4071 has SCAs. The 4070 does not and never has. You can cross reference it to be sure but you should be OK. Does it rattle when you shake it?

Edit: Just checked and you're good to go. Since Napa is rebranded WIX if you put a 2 in front of a Napa number you get the WIX number. The Napa 4070 crosses to a WIX 24070 which is a coolant filter with no SCAs. The 24069 (NAPA 4069) is just a shorter version of the same filter. It also contains no SCAs. ...

Yea I was cross referencing it with the wix part number and thought I was good to go until I saw "Conditioner" on the filter. I does not rattle, that was the first thing I checked actually, then I checked to be sure it is in fact made by wix(in the USA).

Any reason you can think that they would put "Conditioner" on it? When I was google anything that mentioned conditioner had the chemicals in the filter. Maybe it's a new run of the filter, it does have 3 languages on it compared to just english as shown on their site. As long as it is correct I'm happy but now just curious ha.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm 99% sure it's non-SCA but you could call or email WIX and ask. They've always been responsive to my inquires.

Frankly I prefer Donaldson over WIX for this application but the Donaldsons are a tad on the large size...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
jetjock;1602181 said:
I'm 99% sure it's non-SCA but you could call or email WIX and ask. They've always been responsive to my inquires.

Frankly I prefer Donaldson over WIX for this application but the Donaldsons are a tad on the large size...

I think I will email wix and post back their response, again just for curiosity on the wording.

Size is why I went with the wix in this case, I'm having a hard time actually finding a spot for it as it is. The length isn't so much the issue of the girth...