Compressor surge?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
how many washers do you have inside? cause i have 3 in mine, and i changed it to just 4, and it surged... there super picky.

i have a turboxs type H? its a bosch style with a 1'' inlet//outlet. fits right in there nicely.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
That sound is caused from the turbo trying to flow more than the motor can ingest. On a turbo compressor map that is the turbo trying to produce a higher pressure ratio than is possible for a given flow rate (going off the left side of the compressor map). I hope that this is a good enough answer but I'm sure others will chime in to help me out.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
supradjza80;1179551 said:
That sound is caused from the turbo trying to flow more than the motor can ingest. On a turbo compressor map that is the turbo trying to produce a higher pressure ratio than is possible for a given flow rate (going off the left side of the compressor map). I hope that this is a good enough answer but I'm sure others will chime in to help me out.

thats weird how come psi doesn't just increase?

Jaychen i dont think it is 'good' for anything but unavoidable in some setups it seems, but i dont its very hard on things.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
anyone use the tial q type bov? i just ordered one because my blitz isnt holding up with my needs. my friend and his buddies (subaru guys) swear by them
-pete

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
dumbo;1179739 said:
thats weird how come psi doesn't just increase?

When the throttle is open, the air has someplace to go. This is when the throttle is closed, and the turbo is still spinning. The air moves backward, and will stop the compressor wheel like an airbrake. The compressor was forced to slow dramatically, or stop. That is why it is not desirable.

Air is compressed inside a turbo. Not the manifold. Well, it is compressed in the manifold somewhat also.

So I just blew my Brand New Turbo...
20 minutes after installing my GT35r on my 1987 Toyota supra 7MGTE.
I am super Depressed... Just spent 2 months putting the car together.

So the "Compressor Surge" was coming through my K&N filter with a bwhewff fwhewff fwhewfff fwhew sound...
And How could I have prevented this? The Blow off valve? It is brand new.

How do you eliminate Compressor Surge if the turbo is pushing too more flow than the engine can accept???
Please elaborate further? What can I do to prevent that?

20 minutes after installing my GT35r on my 1987 Toyota supra 7MGTE.
I am super Depressed... Just spent 2 months putting the car together.

So the "Compressor Surge" was coming through my K&N filter with a bwhewff fwhewff fwhewfff fwhew sound...
And How could I have prevented this? The Blow off valve? It is brand new.

How do you eliminate Compressor Surge if the turbo is pushing too more flow than the engine can accept???
Please elaborate further? What can I do to prevent that?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
we-all-know-one-rretard-funny-bird-picture.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
spainobain1234;1892138 said:
<snip>
What can I do to prevent that?
Make sure that the BOV that you have is adequate to the job. The flow data for the turbo is a known. The performance data for the BOV is known. Put 2 and 2 together, and try not to come up with 3.25.
Dylan JZ;1892156 said:
an accurate assessment of the situation for sure :squint:
Not quite.

According to Einstein, insanity is trying the exact same thing, and expecting to get a different result. Therefore...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
spainobain1234;1892136 said:

Well.. you asked here and I understood some of the responses. However, when I am encountering this type of an issue I use...
1. Google. More information than you will ever need, although it does take some time and effort to put the knowledge into usable format
2. Supramania. More information than you will ever need, although it does take some time and effort to weed through the answers and put it into a usable format

Then I take my car to a KNOWLEDGABLE Mechanic that I trust and discuss.

Then I decide if I am going to deal with it myself or let him handle it. (usually I let him handle it.. its cheaper)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Dan_Gyoba;1892224 said:
Make sure that the BOV that you have is adequate to the job. The flow data for the turbo is a known. The performance data for the BOV is known. Put 2 and 2 together, and try not to come up with 3.25.

Not quite.

According to Einstein, insanity is trying the exact same thing, and expecting to get a different result. Therefore...

I don't think there is enough evidence that he was necessarily expecting a different result, hence I'll stick with the former. It could go either way though; perhaps he is retarded and insane (one in the same?).