Compressor surge?

Jaychen

Jun 29, 2008
Brisbane
Guys, searched but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I get a psh psh psh psh sound when letting of the throttle when my car is making boost. I am stock with 3'' catback exhaust, my boost gauge reads 11psi at full boost.

My questions are 1. is compressor surge bad and 2. how do I fix it if it is?

I am assuming upgrading my bov would be the first thing I should look at.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jaychen;1177043 said:
My questions are 1. is compressor surge bad and 2. how do I fix it if it is?

1. Well think about it this way. If the turbo can fill all the intake with PRESSURIZED air and not skip a beat and now that pressurized air has no where to go but back against the turbo.......... ;)

2. You need a working BOV. If your is stock it is more than likely not working.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
so you guys with a good working stock bov is it silent or what? now i'm thinking mine is fucked up. but what i noticed when i got my first supra all i had was a intake and dp. before those modes i didn't hear anything. then the moment i install the intake i hear it. i'm thinking that the stock intake baffles the sound compared to a aftermarket. i don't think even a working stock bov (bpv) is silent. it seems unclear for a lot of people what it SHOULD sound like.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
black89t;1177114 said:
so you guys with a good working stock bov is it silent or what? now i'm thinking mine is fucked up. but what i noticed when i got my first supra all i had was a intake and dp. before those modes i didn't hear anything. then the moment i install the intake i hear it. i'm thinking that the stock intake baffles the sound compared to a aftermarket. i don't think even a working stock bov (bpv) is silent. it seems unclear for a lot of people what it SHOULD sound like.

The stock intake does absorb most of the high pitched sounds (due to the rubber matterial and the "baffling" that is used to deflect sound even more).

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Many years ago when my only mod was a Blitz SUS Power Intake....Right after installing it the stock bypass valve was very audible and after I left off the throttle it would go pshh pshh pshh....

Before installing the intake I could not hear the bypass valve.

I have an HKS SSQV now and it still does the same thing.

In my case I know its the Blitz intake making that noise.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
yah i got a hks ssqv and i get some flutter under light to moderate throttle apps, but if i giver i only get the EXTREMELY lound pshh, my friend gets the same thing on his skyline, i guess a little flutter aint too bad. or its a pos bov

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I think at light throttle, a lot of BOV's flutter. I've tried a Bosch and a GFB brand BOV, and they both did this. At full boost, my BOV does not flutter, and that seems to be the most important.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
tekdeus;1177904 said:
I think at light throttle, a lot of BOV's flutter. I've tried a Bosch and a GFB brand BOV, and they both did this. At full boost, my BOV does not flutter, and that seems to be the most important.

same here... i hear it flutter 4 times to be exact... chug chug chug chug... and by then its died out... WOT though, its just a giant PSHHHHH of air...

i would just make sure you have a nice big, and clear vacuum line dedicated to the BOV.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
only single psssshhhhh from mine, bavarian brand. Low hg, (vac) barely any sound but with a few hg or a few psi a single pssshh.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The vacuum control line for the BOV may be clogged if you think the Stocker isn't working... that's the cheapest and easiest thing to look at first.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Keros;1178298 said:
The vacuum control line for the BOV may be clogged if you think the Stocker isn't working... that's the cheapest and easiest thing to look at first.

^^^ yeap thats what happened with my car.

With the stock intake the turbo and blow off were almost in-audible. Once I put the Apex intake on I could easily hear the BPV and the turbo, however I was always getting the flutter noise (which while it is not ideal, flutter when letting off the throttle is much less damaging to the turbo then surge while under power). Anyway, when I put plugs and wires in the car I accidentaly snapped the rubber vac hose to the BPV and when I replaced it my car magically no longer fluttered and now just makes just one Pshhhhh sound except under low throttle/low vac to ~1 lb of boost.

So in the end, if the BPV is operating properly I would definitely check the vac lines to get rid of the constant flutter.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
im gettin surge with the phr stage 1 and a tial bov....not as much as before but still some.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
ive never heard anything while under load, full boost like that, but i do get a consistent flutter when i shift. is this just because its recirculated and its unavoidable or what?

im on the stock bov by the way. all hoses running to it are brand new

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My BOV has always made one solid pshh when letting off the throttle. Then when I installed my 57trim CT26, it started to flutter every time. Switched back to the stock BPV, and made sure the vac lines were all new, and that the hardlines are clean, and my vac at idle is a solid 20. It still flutters, and I have no idea what the problem could be lol. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, and everything seems fine, so I have just left it alone.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
by BOV... do you mean the stock one? what did you have before?

if so... i dont think the stock bov can handle the amount of air that needs to be bypassed for the 57trim...

mines surges only below 4psi... and only when its light throttle boosting and then i let off...