Coming 2009 from MoTeC

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Yes I know. But the current line is getting old and if a new line is almost ready I'm waiting for that.

Besides that I have been looking into the Pectel SQ6M. It looks very nice. Not much documentation on their website though. I have asked them for a manual and stuff but I have heard nothing yet.

Nothing from Pro-EFI either.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1421765 said:
Yes I know. But the current line is getting old and if a new line is almost ready I'm waiting for that.

Besides that I have been looking into the Pectel SQ6M. It looks very nice. Not much documentation on their website though. I have asked them for a manual and stuff but I have heard nothing yet.

Nothing from Pro-EFI either.

That is the problem. It is not "almost ready", it is not even remotely close to ready. Couple that with unknown price tags and you will be waiting a LONG time.
The current Mx00 series is far from old. ;)

talk to John reed on the SQ6 and pro-efi.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Well that is new to me. I understood this thread as if MoTeC would be introducing a new line of ECUs in 2009. I guess they are not. The reason for waiting was that I would like the newest technology and not buy a product that was about to be retired.

I'm talking to Pectel at the moment to see what they offer. I find it difficult to compare the different brands. It seems to me that MoTec's DBW is better supported than Pectel's.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1421905 said:
The reason for waiting was that I would like the newest technology and not buy a product that was about to be retired.

I'm talking to Pectel at the moment to see what they offer. I find it difficult to compare the different brands. It seems to me that MoTec's DBW is better supported than Pectel's.

What ever gave you that idea? MoTeC is NOT and has never ever mentioned or indicated retirement of the Mx00 series. They still have not retired the M4 series for pete sakes! :)

Talk to John Reed. He just set up a DBW viper on the SQ6. It works fine.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Well they don't make the M8 any longer.

This situation seems similar to buying an M8 just before the M800 came out.

So you are saying that MoTeC will be marketing the M800 along the M1 series when the M1 series is ready?

Anyway the pdf you posted on the first post states the availablility of the new M1 series as 2009. I guess that is why I expected the M1 being available in 2009. Oh well they still have 3 months....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1422040 said:
Well they don't make the M8 any longer.

This situation seems similar to buying an M8 just before the M800 came out.

So you are saying that MoTeC will be marketing the M800 along the M1 series when the M1 series is ready?

Anyway the pdf you posted on the first post states the availablility of the new M1 series as 2009. I guess that is why I expected the M1 being available in 2009. Oh well they still have 3 months....

The M8 has been discontinued for some time.

The M1 series is a different animal then the Mx00. I liken it to the high end Bosch units. Or in other words, three flavors. One, very specific to your car (and that means that, no mucking off the crank trigger pattern, no adding DBW as an after thought etc. Think of it like the AEM PnP where the 24 teeth count is there always, regardless if you put a 60-2 wheel) or fully configurable. The inbetween might be the firmware for a lot of cars with nothing fancy (ie no DBW etc). and lastly fully configurable.

. The fully open M1xx series ECU can (as an example) be programmed to control DBW, Specifically for controlling multi-DBW on the Gallardo over its native CANBus channel. Something that only the super high end Bosch units can be made to do, today.

I can guarantee that the custom "option" for each given M1X0 will not be cheap. I am curious to see how they will stray from the packaged firmware for a given EMS.

Last edited:

mk e

Oct 30, 2009
PA
Hi,
I stumbled on this thread and found a lot of good info in it. I have a little more I can add I think.

I read someone asking about who needs 12 the 12 ignition, 24 injectors or the M190…..me.

I’m building a Ferrari V12 with hi/low injection, so 24 injectors. I got talking with the motec guys about it and apparently the M800s can be linked over the CANBUS so once configured they can be tuned as 1 ecu, but it sounded like kind of a pain in the butt to set up and I imagine it’s worse to troubleshoot.

Any way in talking to them they told me about the M190 coming out and said they were working with an OEM for a LeMans car. This was 3 or 4 months ago and at that time apparently there were 2 in the US for testing and software development. I tried very hard to talk them into putting me on the beta tester list figuring how many street cars out there would need all the channels and I got them talked into “I didn’t say no”….which sounded a lot like no but we’ll see.

The problem with just buying one is, as many have mentioned…..I don’t have $10,000 which got me thinking. I’m an engineer and I now a lot of car guy engineers, why can’t we just built our own ecu for a lot less money? That is what we’re doing but it turns out an ecu is very hard to build. It’s coming along though and we hope to be ready to test it on an engine in the spring. It’s got pretty much the same specs as the M190 but will cost about $1000 and the best I can tell we are using the same processor as the motec.

Mark