Coming 2009 from MoTeC

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
The top level programming is available on all the boxes, and I think we can all agree this capability will not come cheap. What most users will end up getting is the mid level "capability" on one of these boxes. Meaning you can load a "package firmware" written/tested/approved/distributed free by Motec and off you go tuning just like you would any of the current series Motecs.

So you could order an M190, with "mid level" capability, load a suitable "firmare package" from Motec and off you go tuning your 24 injector Supra. If Motec doesn't have such a "package" you have two options. You wait till Motec does have the "package" done, or when you buy your box you instead purchase the top level software access (guys, this will not be cheap) and then you hire a Motec System Integrator to build the firmware of your dreams. If you hire this done, then you will want to agree who owns the work when it is finished (i.e. this SI cannot then sell your package to another customer). If a SI creates a custom package on his own, then he could sell this to any of his clients who need such a setup. Custom packages done by SI's can only be loaded into top level enabled ECUs.

I love being proved wrong sometimes, but I am guessing there is no one on here who will want or need the top level software access (simply due to the cost).

Clear as mud? :biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1207187 said:
Well I was just reading from the MoTeC website:

It didn't say that the setup would only be accessible to a select few.

Your sure know how to put it....

What I meant by open sourse was that users could write scripts to the benefit of each other (and eventually MoTeC). But I guess this is just $$$ after all.

Anyway looks like a powerfull ECU and I'm not buying any M8xx stuff before the M1's are ready.

Yep,

but as I posted above. That training is not free. ;) 2 weeks worth of classes but that might change depending on what MoTeC finds when they go gold.

I myself, if I have to pay to take classes. I am not going to give that knowledge out for free! Gives me the edge either at work or competively. As a matter of fact. Take what Bosch does currently and relable it to MoTeC. There you have it.

Which for comparison.

I know what the full package to the Bosch Motronic ECU cost. Looking at nearly $40,000 worth of licensing cost for the race team once it is all said and done (Licensing of the software, Training in using the software). This of course does not include SUPPORT for the said software which is an ADDITIONAL package.

John,

Ahh I get it. Soo all the M1 ecu have a tier system.

Basic: which is meant for that very specific Application (think PnP AEM).
Mid-Tier: which is like the Current Mx00 ECU (wait for MoTeC to update firmware or add feature if they deem it is good for everyone).
Top-Tier: which allows SI's or end users with the proper training to add said features themselves. Kind of an unlocked cell phone. A staggering Price premium usually.

INTRESTING! :D

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
If the user would prefer to perform their own ECU
customisation, they can be trained in the use of Setup.

Regarding this statement. This is technically true. But it will neither be easy, nor cheap. It will require an estimated 2+ weeks of training, potential hardware/software investment, and then PASSING the class once you take it in such a manner Motec feels you worthy of being a System Integrator. I am guessing for the forseeable future this will be an invite only type of deal. Likely candidates: Motec dealers, race teams (wanting their own on staff SI), engine/vehicle development shops, and the like.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
I also pass on this information to the best of my knowledge (which can be limited at best sometimes). A lot of information is getting out, but it seems what is out there is generating more questions than answers. It is this I am trying to correct, but keep in mind the "book" on these systems is still being written and a lot is yet to be done before the finished product AND the finished program hits the streets.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
figgie;1207192 said:
Ahh I get it. Soo all the M1 ecu have a tier system.

Basic: which is meant for that very specific Application (think PnP AEM).
Mid-Tier: which is like the Current Mx00 ECU (wait for MoTeC to update firmware or add feature if they deem it is good for everyone).
Top-Tier: which allows SI's or end users with the proper training to add said features themselves. Kind of an unlocked cell phone. A staggering Price premium usually.

INTRESTING! :D

You got it! The M110 may prove to be an exception, but there is almost zero info on that particular unit yet. Expect it to be the last M1 series to debut.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I like this idea. I can't wait for them to put these on the market, as the m8xx ecus will be getting cheaper when the new technology drops.

Also, seing how we are on the topic of MoTeC tuning, is it anything like the tuning of AEM or Stinger systems, or is it completely different. I have never seen someone with a laptop hooked up to a MoTeC (that I could see the screen of), but I have seen stinger, and have tuned AEM. I am just wondering if I could tune a MoTeC unit if I picked one up, or if I need to have it brought to a certified tuner.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
foreverpsycotic;1209092 said:
I like this idea. I can't wait for them to put these on the market, as the m8xx ecus will be getting cheaper when the new technology drops.

Yeah about that...

MoTeC did not drop the price of the M4/m8 series ecu to much so don't expect a drop of say, used AEM.

Not happening price wise.

foreverpsycotic;1209092 said:
Also, seing how we are on the topic of MoTeC tuning, is it anything like the tuning of AEM or Stinger systems, or is it completely different. I have never seen someone with a laptop hooked up to a MoTeC (that I could see the screen of), but I have seen stinger, and have tuned AEM. I am just wondering if I could tune a MoTeC unit if I picked one up, or if I need to have it brought to a certified tuner.

Well it just finding out how the standalone does what.

For instance. The AEM can support a 60-2 wheel but in the software, you have to tell it, it is 24 teeth.

On the MoTeC end, you tell it, it is a 60 tooth wheel and set the software for 2 missing teeth per revolution. Add a sync signal. Full on sequential inj and ign. No "rigging" the software in attempting to make it work. Hell, you want to use the Nissan Optical 360 wheel? Supported! NATIVELY!

Of course once you start getting into the high end stuff like CANBus configuration for Datalogging and displays, DBW setup, telemetry etc. That is new territory unless you have messed with other MoTeCs or high end ECU.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Hmm, I guess that message stating that I should wait 30 seconds before posting was an error.

It seems every click did go through.

Someone, please clean up this mess.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
IJ.;1420888 said:
Spoke with my MoTeC engineer about this last week and it appears they've bitten off a lot more than anyone realised and he couldn't even guess at a release date!

to add they are still field testing the M1 series but the EMS are still not close to production ready as MoTeC would like them. Perhaps if they were AEM they would ship them as is ;)

With that said. Look into the AEM v2 that has just popped out.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Kristian_Wraae;1421261 said:
So are we still at least one year away from launch?

I can't belive that Motec can miscalculate that much.

MoTeC never said anything except 2009 and that was specific for the M140. No dates beyond that for any other system. ;) so they didn't miscalculate.

Anyway, you need DBW? The current line of mx00 series from MoTeC does it. Same with pro-efi, ViPec, Pectel SQ6......