Clutch Fan Was Locked - Need Input

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1189366 said:
Probably imagineitis Vas ;)

The fan "may" be slightly out of balance and when it was coupled directly to the engine it might have affected the idle but I doubt it.

Yeah might just be imageinitis lol.. that cracked me up..

What I did notice though that before driving say at night with the previous fan clutch before it died for the last two years putting the heater on wouldn't lower temp to 4bars from 5... but now with this new clutch it lowers temp while cruising... if the heater is on on a cold night (and not rolling down hill) so I'm pretty happy with that and still disbelieving that I had a pathetic clutch fan beforehand on there :aigo:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1190128 said:
Does it have a working T Stat in the engine Vas?

I believe so IJ.

I had never seen temps vary until the clutch fan locked.

It always goes to 5bars and just sits there which is exactly half way.

Once the clutch fan locked It would be at 3bars for about 20minutes of driving and then reach 4bars and stay there.

The digital display goes to 10bars and I have never seen it go above 5.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When it's all working right and all the plastics are in play at highway speeds it should run on the T Stat opening ie: if it's an 88c t-stat it'll climb to 90/91c open and drop to 87.5c then repeat :)

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1190167 said:
When it's all working right and all the plastics are in play at highway speeds it should run on the T Stat opening ie: if it's an 88c t-stat it'll climb to 90/91c open and drop to 87.5c then repeat :)

Very interesting IJ! :icon_surp

Thanks for that... always good to know the inner workings of it all.

I've got my car going to in to get my Temp Gauge installed as I've got 3 gauges one for Volt, Boost (which is connected) and the Temp Gauge.

I'll then know the real temp and able to see exactly where the temperature is at.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I use the stock gauge as a "near enough indicator" ;)

I know what's "normal" and if it deviates high or low I know to check the engine.

I base this on what the MoTeC has told me is actually "normal", not all that fussed about gauges in general as I've found once I got over 400rwhp there's no time to look at them when you're at full noise!

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1190208 said:
I use the stock gauge as a "near enough indicator" ;)

I know what's "normal" and if it deviates high or low I know to check the engine.

I base this on what the MoTeC has told me is actually "normal", not all that fussed about gauges in general as I've found once I got over 400rwhp there's no time to look at them when you're at full noise!

Great point :naughty:, I'll hopefully one day get there! I'm at 170rwkw but the need for more is always there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep going fast you tend to only scan the gauge for needle position anyway so knowing the exact number doesn't add anything.

I don't have a boost gauge at all as people tend to get really hung up on numbers and I can freak myself out badly enough with 7M paranoia without one :D

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1190219 said:
Yep going fast you tend to only scan the gauge for needle position anyway so knowing the exact number doesn't add anything.

I don't have a boost gauge at all as people tend to get really hung up on numbers and I can freak myself out badly enough with 7M paranoia without one :D

Hehe..

Must say too.. I'm really curious on your electric water pump booster... how much benefit did it give your car? As if I'm interested in having one installed myself since it seems like a great idea.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Bugger all Vas, I use the MoTeC to run mine but DC make a controller.

There's some pics in my pic thread showing how I mounted it but it will depend on the IC pipe routing your car uses.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;1190265 said:
Bugger all Vas, I use the MoTeC to run mine but DC make a controller.

There's some pics in my pic thread showing how I mounted it but it will depend on the IC pipe routing your car uses.

Nice i'll have a little loook around, and will be very nice to know when/if I need that requirement!

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Green clutch is most likely from a Toyota Tacoma. I needed a new fan clutch for my Supra, and came across a nearly new fan clutch from a Tacoma for $35 shipped. For that price, I figured I'd give it a try. If I like it, it'll stay; and if not, then I'll buy an OEM for a GTE.

Here's a pic of the one I just bought. Notice the green mounting flange.

img0874lm0.jpg

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
interesting... is it possible that newer OEM units are green also?

because i bought the clutch from a junkyard....

but your saying that you got that one from a tacoma?

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
I bought it off a member on here that was using it on his Supra, and he said it's off a Tacoma. Comparing it side by side with the stock Supra clutch, you can defiantly tell that it's more heavy duty.

I forget what years of a Tacoma clutch will fit our Supra (2003?), but they're from a 4WD V-6 Tacoma. The clutches used on the Tacoma have a green mounting flange.

EDIT: I now have three different fan clutches: a brown GTE clutch, a blue GE clutch, and a green Tacoma clutch. I'll be pulling my non-working GTE clutch off my Supra this weekend, and can take some comparison shots of the three of them if anyone is interested.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
deabionni;1190460 said:
EDIT: I now have three different fan clutches: a brown GTE clutch, a blue GE clutch, and a green Tacoma clutch. I'll be pulling my non-working GTE clutch off my Supra this weekend, and can take some comparison shots of the three of them if anyone is interested.

I would be.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
Had a fan clutch lock engaged on me this past summer. This was the result:

DSC05760small.JPG

I have since decided against the factory fan and opted for the "evil" twin electric fans:

DSC06068small.JPG

Haven't had an issue with the Flex-a-lite electric fans yet, but they are wired with 8ga leads and controlled with a Flex-a-Lite 400-31163 fan controller.

The controller keeps the fans running for about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off for a bit of additional cooling. The water temp sensor was a perfect fit in an available port in the T-Stat housing. The controller varies the fan speed based on temp thresholds you are able to set.

Best,

Brad

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Woody1989;1191130 said:
Had a fan clutch lock engaged on me this past summer. This was the result:

DSC05760small.JPG

I have since decided against the factory fan and opted for the "evil" twin electric fans:

DSC06068small.JPG

Haven't had an issue with the Flex-a-lite electric fans yet, but they are wired with 8ga leads and controlled with a Flex-a-Lite 400-31163 fan controller.

The controller keeps the fans running for about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off for a bit of additional cooling. The water temp sensor was a perfect fit in an available port in the T-Stat housing. The controller varies the fan speed based on temp thresholds you are able to set.

Best,

Brad

Which radiator is that you're running with the shroud? (As i'm surprised it fits)

Also how good are the electric fans (rad temp wise?), since there is no shroud or clearance as they are right on the radiator?