Clear Front Side Marker poll

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some feedback and input. For the last 9 months I have been developing Clear Front Side Markers for the MKIII Supra. They will fit the 1986.5 to 1992 Supras These will look like the original OEM ones except clear. They are a one piece unit (Lens and Backing plate). There will be no core exchange nor bleaching of the original oem ones. They will be UV Resistant, and Shatter resistant. They are a two peice unit a Right and a Left. Unfortunately they are not interchangeable on the car.

My question to the forum is I am looking at producing them, however there are always costs involved. I want to ensure that it would be worth my while to produce them. I have the mold shop ready to go with my specs, and all they need is my confirmation to produce. I know what my costs involved will be and the time from the initial production of the molds to the time the complete units are ready.

All I am looking for in this post is who would be seriously interested in buying a pair should I decide to go ahead with the manufacturing with them.

You can reply to this post or PM me.

Thank you in advance,

Mike Nikolai

P.S. This is what I was refering too in the other clear side marker post.
I appologise in advance if I posted this in the wrong section, and please feel free to move this thread.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Hi Superiorsupra,

Thank you for your interest. Sorry for not including the price. The approximate price would be $90.00 to $100.00 USD. This of course could all change depending on how much interest is genereated. It would not be more than $100.00 USD. There would be shipping charges on top of that.

Hope this Helps,

Mike Nikolai

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Sounds cool to me. I know that quite a few people have been waiting a long time to see someone do this, so you should get the interest you need. I'm interested, but like everything that I want to do, it won't happen for quite some time. If you are still doing this down the road I'll come asking for some.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Furball said:
Sounds cool to me. I know that quite a few people have been waiting a long time to see someone do this, so you should get the interest you need. I'm interested, but like everything that I want to do, it won't happen for quite some time. If you are still doing this down the road I'll come asking for some.

Hi Furball,

Thank you for your interest. I hear you. I have a list a mile long about what I want to do. This is not going to be a one time deal. I am just probing the forum to see if it would be worth my while to go throught wiht the plans. My plan is to keep producing them as long as there is interest.

As some additional info, from the time I say go on the molds I am looking at 28 business days from start to finish. For future orders since the molds have been produced I am looking at about a 5 business day time to produce another large quantity. I plan to produce enough for the intital market satisfaction, and have a few pairs kicking around for people that want them later. I do not want to have people waiting a week for a new batch for these, when I can produce some excess stock.

Hope this helps,

Mike Nikolai

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
clearcorners.com already has them for $100 a pair. I don't know how well it will work out for you if you offer the same product for the same price, I vote for a group-buy style deal where everyone jumps on board and the side markers are $70-$80 a pair, who wouldn't jump on that

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
cwapface said:
clearcorners.com already has them for $100 a pair. I don't know how well it will work out for you if you offer the same product for the same price, I vote for a group-buy style deal where everyone jumps on board and the side markers are $70-$80 a pair, who wouldn't jump on that

Hi cwapface,

I have looked at Clearcorners.com. You need to send in your original lenses (which must be in perfect condition) Then it looks like they cut and graft a clear piece of plastic (the lense) on top. This was fairly evident from a few pictures I saw. I believe I saw it on here somewhere in a post. The amber was still showing along the edge of the clear lens. The ones I am producing require no originals to be sent it. They will be a complete unit and sold as a pair. As for the group buy, yes I am considering it for these. Right now I am just getting a feel for them and what peoples thoughts are and if people would buy them or not. I will also go through the apropriate channels for a group buy here if it I decide to have one. I wonder how many people would be interested in a group buy? Thank you for your interest.

Thanks for the Support MrBoost! I appreciate it.

Travismo thank you for the encouragement!

Mike Nikolai

Last edited:

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Mike,
If Jeff's backing you I'm down for sure. From your description I already know this is a far better product than the ones that clearcorners.com offers, ntm their customer service sucks. Heh, I paid over twice that for the set of JDM ones I used to have.

$100 is a bargain for the first batch, especially considering all the R+D and mold costs that have to be paid for with the first run. Some people don't understand how much time and money has to go into things before they can even be available for sale.

Good luck, hope to see it done and hope to see a set on my car soon!

Grant

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
oneandgone said:
Mike,
If Jeff's backing you I'm down for sure. From your description I already know this is a far better product than the ones that clearcorners.com offers, ntm their customer service sucks. Heh, I paid over twice that for the set of JDM ones I used to have.

$100 is a bargain for the first batch, especially considering all the R+D and mold costs that have to be paid for with the first run. Some people don't understand how much time and money has to go into things before they can even be available for sale.

Good luck, hope to see it done and hope to see a set on my car soon!

Grant

Hi Grant,

Yes I have put alot of research into the lens. I know my costs involved and how many I need to sell to break even on this. If you have questions just post them on here, or you can PM me.

Hi Wulfstan, As mentioned above I do know the costs. Right now I am just taking the temperature of this product to see if it would be worth while producing. So far from the responses I am getting it just may be.

Goliath, I hear what you are saying. With the lenses they will be UV resistant so they will not fade nor turn yellow. They will also be made from Acryllic (I think) I will need to doubble check in my notes. I want these to be strong so that if the wind hits them they will not shatter nor break. Of course in a collision if they break then that is understandable. lol As for the pics, yes I do have some. I will post them tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. Now keep in mind with the pics they are proto types only and were made with a mold at home in just clear resin that was not UV Stable and very brittle. (I needed to keep my costs down for experimentation) I did not cast a mold of the backing plate, but from the pics I will post, you will get the idea. The backing plate will be a grey, natural color like the oem ones as this will reflect the light better. The lens its self will be clear.

I think this answered everyones questions, if not let me know. Please keep posting if you are interested in these.

Thank you for your time,

Mike Nikolai

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
mkIIIman089 said:
I just bought a set of clear corners from www.performancetuningsystems.com (owners a great guy BTW) for 75+ shipping... So selling them individually for you may not work. A group buy at a cheap price would though.

Hi Colin,

The ones I am producing are the front clear side markers, not the clear turn signal lenses. The side markers are the Amber lens that clips into the body molding just infront of the tire. The clear turn signal lenses are an excellent upgrade. I have them on my ride. As for the group buy I am still considering that option too. Right now I am still checking interest. I will leave this thread open for a bout 2 weeks. That should give sufficient time for those to post that are interested in buying a pair.

Mike Nikolai

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
Ok everyone,

Here are some pics as promised of the original proto types that I did a little while ago. Things to keep in mind are

1) This was just a lens produced and it does not have a backing plate attached to it. So the reflectiveness is not what is should be. The ones that I will produce will have the backing plate.

2) The prototype lens was made out of clear resin, not UV stable and very brittle so part of it broke. I was having some problems having it stay in one peice. The one I sell will be UV Stable, not brittle and bery strong.

3) The digital camera I had was an older one, so I appologise for the fuzzyness.

Any questions or comments please let me know. Please keep posting if you are interested in them.

If you can not see the attachments please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Mike Nikolai

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 103
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 95
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 81