Chunks' Build

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
northwestsupra;1619270 said:
sweet i was about right with my mental guess of when it would kick in lol, so only bout 1k RPM higher than stock but sooo well worth it. :p GL at the track, try to get a closer recording. or better yet a interior recording of the race, id love to see that

Thanks, Yes well worth the improvement over stock turbo. The car is a light switch at 8 psi. Thats when the party starts and it only gets better with more boost. I have nowhere to mount the camera or i would try to get an inside video.

iMike_G.;1619281 said:
your car is so quite. such a sleeper. looks good.

Thanks! Its quiet on the video but pretty loud in real life. Its a 3 inch elbow off the turbo, to a 3.5 inch 45 to 4 inch exhaust with a 4 inch Magnaflow Straight threw muffler. I want to add a second muffler under the car to kill the drone at 2-2.25k rpm. It was even more of a sleeper with the same setup with stock wheels and BFG drag radials. Only problem is all it did was burnouts instead of launches.

northwestsupra;1619284 said:
also how much did the cobra brake conversion cost you? is the improvement much better? write up? parts needed? thanks dude

also how much meth inj are you using right now?

Cobra kit was approximately 6-700 complete. You can buy everything from some vendors here as a complete bolt on kit. I pieced mine together with EBC redstuff pads and cobra calipers and brackets from a friend of mine. The difference is HUGE!! I have stopped the car since the upgrade in stops that not only do i think would have been close calls with the stock brakes, but not even a HINT of steering wheel shimmy/wobble.

Doward posted up an install writeup, and its REALLY basic and straight forward. If you can do a brake job, you can install these brakes.

Im running a single 12GPH nozzle with a bypass style 250psi pump. Devils Own DVC-30 Progressive kit. Start at 10psi and full by 20. I run 50/50 Meth/Water by Volume. Im investigating the difference of mixing by weight now but i dont want to make much of a change as it will likely change the tune. Eventually im going to run a larger nozzle when i turn the boost up.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I personally wouldnt run more then 16-17 psi on pump gas because thats when the limits start to be pushed and need to have proper tuning. I would recommend water/meth at 16-17 psi or full race fuel/E85. You should be fine with up to 15psi as long as your fuel and timing arent crazy aggressive. You can run that amount of boost on stock TCCS.

Went to track, Didnt make a pass because a bracket comp was going on and by the time they let the test and tune run it started raining. I was ready to punch a baby in the face.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Nosechunks;1621057 said:
I personally wouldnt run more then 16-17 psi on pump gas because thats when the limits start to be pushed and need to have proper tuning. I would recommend water/meth at 16-17 psi or full race fuel/E85. You should be fine with up to 15psi as long as your fuel and timing arent crazy aggressive. You can run that amount of boost on stock TCCS.

Went to track, Didnt make a pass because a bracket comp was going on and by the time they let the test and tune run it started raining. I was ready to punch a baby in the face.

What would you consider aggressive timing? Sorry I'm still learning in the tuning part of life lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Honestly not really sure. My ignition table is based off of a table that IJ posted. The stock TCCS timing is good for moderate boost and alot of people have good luck with it. I dont know what a stock timing map looks like but i would bet its relatively safe for reliability.

Heres my timing map. Use with caution if you choose so as every motor can be different and like different amounts of timing. Keep in mind im running water/meth 50/50 starting at 10 psi.

p1621073_1.jpg

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Nosechunks;1621073 said:
Honestly not really sure. My ignition table is based off of a table that IJ posted. The stock TCCS timing is good for moderate boost and alot of people have good luck with it. I dont know what a stock timing map looks like but i would bet its relatively safe for reliability.

Heres my timing map. Use with caution if you choose so as every motor can be different and like different amounts of timing. Keep in mind im running water/meth 50/50 starting at 10 psi.

p1621184_1.jpg

where is this table you speak of ?? lol could help start me in the right direction

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Nice progress, Chunks! Curious on that a340e as well! I still have my HKS BUILT (RARE!) a340e that needs a rebuild from glazed plates (diff backlash) but I'd LOVE to go back to the A/T from manual someday! Especially with the bigger turbo and desire to alleviate shift/lag. Can't wait to just LOAD IT and GO again!

On the matter of boost/stock ECU threshold... my setup is Ian's full head job plus hot-side including T04z right now... and the whole HKS setup w/PFC F-con and other stuff, and I'm running 15psi constantly AND doing scramble boosts at around 17psi regularly with GOOD (local Ohio) Shell 93 octane + one of a couple additives in every tank that I like with NO SIGNS of any issues so far. (Car CAN and DOES begin to "scrawl loose" on traction in fourth in ideal conditions) so although often discouraged as "risky"... I'm have very good results with this so far. (Just trying VERY HARD not to get greedy, as the turbo is not even breaking a SWEAT at these levels... but pushes very strong as it is.)

Timing is PER TSRM and whatever stock ECU/PFC F-con are doing to it. ALWAYS running on RICH side at 10.5~11.5 range on Powerdex AFX even under max load. Runs GREAT!;)

More vids, Chunks!

-crisp

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Sorry for OT

Crisp, I dont think the PFC F-Con does anything to the timing, just adds fuel past the stock fuel cut injectory duty cycle point based on MAP sensor and RPM input (crude but safe and effective)

I always wondered, would it be better to run a VPC with a 440 chip and then the FCON with the 550 and stock AFM chip, my logic being the timing curve of the stock ECU wont be marred the way it is if your run a 550 chip in the VPC which scales down all the KV signals

Sorry back to thread now

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
HKS_TRD;1621550 said:
Sorry for OT

Crisp, I dont think the PFC F-Con does anything to the timing, just adds fuel past the stock fuel cut injectory duty cycle point based on MAP sensor and RPM input (crude but safe and effective)

I always wondered, would it be better to run a VPC with a 440 chip and then the FCON with the 550 and stock AFM chip, my logic being the timing curve of the stock ECU wont be marred the way it is if your run a 550 chip in the VPC which scales down all the KV signals

Sorry back to thread now

(SORRY to thread jack, Chunks! Gotta ask...)

So Dan, running the 550 chip CHANGES the behavior of the timing curve of the ECU? What do you mean by "marred"?

BACK to thread!;)

-crisp

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Yeah my "marred" I mean unfavourable altered

The 550 chip is just scaling down the KV signal to the ECU just like a Lexus AFM does, the result is that the ECU is "seeing" less load and hence accessing different data tables than it usually would for each load point, with the significant difference being that lighter load being seen by the ECU equals more more timing. I belive that going from 440s to 550s in this fashion is not too big a problem, but running 720s, forget it, I can tell you that from experience.

crisp

May 25, 2007
Ohio
HKS_TRD;1621554 said:
Yeah my "marred" I mean unfavourable altered

The 550 chip is just scaling down the KV signal to the ECU just like a Lexus AFM does, the result is that the ECU is "seeing" less load and hence accessing different data tables than it usually would for each load point, with the significant difference being that lighter load being seen by the ECU equals more more timing. I belive that going from 440s to 550s in this fashion is not too big a problem, but running 720s, forget it, I can tell you that from experience.

Got it! Thanks! (Might be experiencing a bit of spark blowout at the moment... just now working through that...)

-crisp

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
northwestsupra;1621184 said:
where is this table you speak of ?? lol could help start me in the right direction

I dont exactly remember where i found it, I just searched timing and happened upon it. My timing table is pretty close, its almost identicle on the positive boost side.

whitemike;1621186 said:
Love the build man. Keep it up.

Thanks! will do!

crisp;1621224 said:
Nice progress, Chunks! Curious on that a340e as well! I still have my HKS BUILT (RARE!) a340e that needs a rebuild from glazed plates (diff backlash) but I'd LOVE to go back to the A/T from manual someday! Especially with the bigger turbo and desire to alleviate shift/lag. Can't wait to just LOAD IT and GO again!

On the matter of boost/stock ECU threshold... my setup is Ian's full head job plus hot-side including T04z right now... and the whole HKS setup w/PFC F-con and other stuff, and I'm running 15psi constantly AND doing scramble boosts at around 17psi regularly with GOOD (local Ohio) Shell 93 octane + one of a couple additives in every tank that I like with NO SIGNS of any issues so far. (Car CAN and DOES begin to "scrawl loose" on traction in fourth in ideal conditions) so although often discouraged as "risky"... I'm have very good results with this so far. (Just trying VERY HARD not to get greedy, as the turbo is not even breaking a SWEAT at these levels... but pushes very strong as it is.)

Timing is PER TSRM and whatever stock ECU/PFC F-con are doing to it. ALWAYS running on RICH side at 10.5~11.5 range on Powerdex AFX even under max load. Runs GREAT!;)

More vids, Chunks!

-crisp

Yea the auto is great. It seems to be holding up good so far as far as i can tell. Weather has been shitty lately around here so the cars pretty much sat.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Update: Trans Broke before the end of last year, Lost third gear and reverse. Tore it down and found what was left of clutches and steels in the third gear pack. Everything else looked decent. Good run for 6 months.

Rebuilt it with the IPT Blue Friction kit and it feels good, little better then before. Extra clutches in almost all of the clutch packs. Also running Amsoil synthetic fluid per IPT reccomendation. Im working on getting a temp gauge on it so if i break it again i can rule out overheating.

Ill post pictures of the third gear pack in a bit.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well I changed up the exhaust a bit and added a second muffler. Made a video clip with a little rev. I know i need to change the valve seals.

Last edited:

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Nosechunks;1692537 said:
Well I changed up the exhaust a bit and added a second muffler. Made a video clip with a little rev.

[video=youtube;wkM-a2s-SJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkM-a2s-SJE[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkM-a2s-SJE

This sounds really good, quite at idle. Just how I like it. I'm getting a friend to weld up full 3" 303 stainless piping all the way back from the down-pipe, to and weld a blitz nur spec tip onto that.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Thanks, its got two mufflers. First one is under the car. Summit Racing brand glasspack 4 inch in and out. Second is a magnaflow 4 inch in and out. Still a little too noisy. I want to look into making a branch resonator or something to kill the 2krpm drone.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Figure i have some down time and ill post an update.

I got the bushings in and i HIGHLY recommend anyone attempting to install the energy bushings to check if there camber bolts are frozen in the bushing sleeves. If they are be forewarned it will be HIGHLY DIFFICULT AND TIME CONSUMING to complete the job. It took me a few days to get it done between having to give up and get better sawzal blades and grinder discs.

I also finally broke down and bought parts to do a Th350 swap. I had concerns about the stock trans holding up after breaking it once, and i was also yearning for a trans brake.

I got the ATI Adapter kit with flex plate and Custom Fuel and Blown converter, a th350, a pistol grip quarter stick shifter, drive shaft and other goodies.

I have been having issues with some of the used parts i got but i think i got it sorted out. I believe my current issue is a balance issue of some sort with the ATI converter.

On other topics i have started to make a targa brace. Im constructing it out of 1" .083 wall and 1/2" .065" wall 4130 Tubing as well as some 1/8" plate.

Heres some pics:
p1748003_1.jpg

p1748003_2.jpg

p1748003_3.jpg

p1748003_4.jpg

Obviously its only about half way done at this point. It will be fully tig welded with bracing and made all pretty when its done.