Chunks' Build

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Pics of possible carnage from transmission removal and inspection.

p1594311_1.jpg

p1594311_2.jpg

p1594311_3.jpg

p1594311_4.jpg

Hopefully a new seal will fix it for good. If not itll be time for a TH350 or a AODE.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Well I have found the culprit!!! :icon_bigg

Here are some pics of the pump half with the bushing and seal untouched. The problem was obvious when i looked at it without the input shaft(s) in the way.

p1594546_1.jpg

p1594546_2.jpg

p1594546_3.jpg

I have no idea how this is possible, the bushing walked out towards the seal. When it got to the seal the bushing slipped under the sealing lip of the seal keeping it from making contact to the converter snout. :aigo: In the picture you can see the lip the bushing is supposed to rest against.

I have ordered a new bushing from a transmission shop and a new seal and o-ring from Toyota. Im going to use an emery cloth or scotch-brite to polish the converter snout and reassemble it all together.

Very happy to actually find something wrong. Nothing worse then having a problem without bieng able to find the cause.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Kudos on searching until you found something behind the symptom! So if the cause of failure is the bushing walking out to the seal... why did it walk? (Just thinking it will/could do it again even if fixed?)

G/L with the fix! Hope it solves your issue!:)

-crisp

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ABNPayne;1596165 said:
Absolutely stunning. Great custom work! Your are blowing this SM newb's mind, I've been out of the game for way too long

Thanks!

crisp;1596247 said:
Kudos on searching until you found something behind the symptom! So if the cause of failure is the bushing walking out to the seal... why did it walk? (Just thinking it will/could do it again even if fixed?)

G/L with the fix! Hope it solves your issue!:)

-crisp

Thanks Crisp! I think the bushing walked because I was kinda hard on the car the day before practicing launching on a hot day over and over. I think the converter got overheated and when the metal expanded from the heat it caught the bushing and walked it out. Hopefully all will be well now if I don't abuse it as hard as I did.

87mk111;1596616 said:
DAng, nice custom work dude. I likek yourhdr pics too, I'm using one as a background lol.

Thanks! I'm hoping to make more on better spots when I get some time. I'll try to post up high resolution versions if I can.

Nick M;1596683 said:
No. He should have just tossed in an R154 and 1JZ. That is the SM way! ;)

:biglaugh:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I did look into them as I have one of there intercoolers. I went with the manifold I went with mostly because Ian (IJ) and many others were using one and making good power. I couldn't really find many people using the cast ones to get feedback on fitment. There are many people using the SSAC manifold and have had good luck with it.

Another thing is that if I ever wanted to make any changes I could cut and re-weld it back together. That's harder to do with a cast manifold.

Overall I'm happy with it though I did and still want to make some changes to it to make everything fit a little better. I also eventually want to modify it so it is undivided so I can run a quick spool valve with a big billet turbo.

It's a downfall of all "new" parts is there is no feedback on the for how they work.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Had a little fun yesterday. Took off the ET streets and put on the other two Cobra wheels with street tires.

Also recently installed Dowards Cobra front brake kit and ill throw some pictures of that up later.

New HDR! You can kinda see the brake kit behind the wheel.

p1608160_1.jpg

The Cobra brakes made a HUGE difference to the driving quality of the car. Running Factory replacement 13" Cobra rotors and EBC Redstuff pads. All i can say is wow!

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Thanks man!

Before Cobra Brakes
p1608427_1.jpg

After Cobra Brakes
p1608427_2.jpg

Stock Rotor Compared to Cobra rotor
p1608427_3.jpg

p1608427_4.jpg

Extremely happy with the upgrade.

Thanks to Zumtizzle and Grimsta!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Went to the track. Best pass on a 95 degree day with only 6psi of boost at the line (wouldnt build any more because the air was so hot) was a 12.7 @ 109 with a 1.9 60'.

Pretty unhappy because of the weather. Most people at the track were saying there cars were .5 second slower compared to a cooler 70 degree day. I figure that plus leaving with 10+ PSI at the line will put me into the 11's where i am hoping to be able to be.

You can hear the car turn out about 40 feet after i let go of the brakes.

Last edited:

TurboLag

Jul 1, 2010
ILLINOIS
lookin good! makes me feel good about wanting an auto MK3.

sorry i didnt read very closely, is this all on a stock block/head?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Thanks!

Built short block with Ross pistons and Eagle rods. Stock head other then valve job and rebuild with stock parts. Well see how long the A340E lasts.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Thanks! Turbo hits hard about 3500-3800rpm with my home tune. It would proly spool a little sooner if the timing and fueling was perfect.

Going to the track this wensday. Hopefully the temps will be in the 70's and I can get an 11.99 pass!!!

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
Nosechunks;1619229 said:
Thanks! Turbo hits hard about 3500-3800rpm with my home tune. It would proly spool a little sooner if the timing and fueling was perfect.

Going to the track this wensday. Hopefully the temps will be in the 70's and I can get an 11.99 pass!!!

sweet i was about right with my mental guess of when it would kick in lol, so only bout 1k RPM higher than stock but sooo well worth it. :p GL at the track, try to get a closer recording. or better yet a interior recording of the race, id love to see that