Changing my head gasket, me asking for your help while doing this

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't remember hearing the rod knock when I was on Rotella 15w-40 but I've been told that using that oil is making the pump work harder.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
A friend of mine may be giving me a 2jzge block for free, is it worth using that to build it to my goal of 500hp or will the block not be able to handle it?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, a 2JZ-GE non-VVTi longblock can be run on the 7M-GTE electronics, and with a turbo kit (Also run on the 7M-GTE electronics) it could get you to 500hp.

I believe that you'll still end up spending more money getting there than you would with the 7M, but I can see the temptation.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
well the reason why I want a JZ is because I would build it to where it is a new motor, more available parts, better sound, can handle more power, better gas mileage as well, and I am not trying to have a lot of down time on my MK3, so I plan on getting a JZ motor and building it to where I want it then swap it in and sell off the 7M.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I noticed today that my coolant light came back on I topped it off figured it was just air getting out since the level was not very low it was near the top and I poured some water into the reservoir and that stopped the light from coming on. Well yesterday it came back on and I didn't pay too much attention to it since I figured it was just more air getting out or whatever and the temps are fine but just now I checked the level and I cannot see the water in the radiator nor do I see any water underneath the car but this morning when I started the start I did hear the sound of water moving in the engine bay and since I was late I drove to class and worried about it later. I hope it's not my head gasket but I doubt it maybe I have to re tighten it even though ARP says I didn't have to? I will fill it back up with water and check for leaks.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Found the leak it seems to be coming from the top hose that goes to the back of the motor I've had problems with that before but it was just me forgetting to tighten the clamp maybe it needs to be retightened but I rather get a silicone hose for it, do you guys know if they make one to replace it?

It seems to be a heater hose according to the TSRM it says, "To heater" it is the inlet in between the cam covers right above the EGR cooler. I can see water dripping down the turbo side but I cannot see the source.

This isn't my picture but this is where I think it is leaking from circled in red
p1893365_1.jpg

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
If it is that small 90 degree hose I am going to murder people because that thing is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE DICK to put on. I will check it out and find the source of the leak tomorrow morning if I have time then order a silicone hose accordingly.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yup, it is the heater hose I can tell because of where the rust is lol it is annoying that my cooling system is rusty or turns the water into a rust color but it is helpful for spotting leaks especially on the driveway you can see powdered rust if something leaks over night and the water evaporates or something.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
I have that same silicone hose kit on my Ebay watch list too lol. At least you know what it is now Doat, that's always half the battle! :)

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I have another problem after I changed my hood struts today I checked my oil level and there is oil on the tip of the dipstick. I have not see any oil leaks or drips on the driveway, no smoke from the exhaust but there is a burning smell from the engine bay I cannot see where it is coming from but there is a burning smell, I figured it was still the PB blaster and the other sprays I used just burning off but it has been quite some time.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I poured in about 2.5 quarts of oil and now my oil level is above the measurement area of the dipstick and there is a little smoke coming from the exhaust. Air pocket in oil?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I know it sounds wacky but I can't think of anything else why it would show that I practically have no oil then adding 2 quarts and I suddenly have over 6 or 7 quarts of oil.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Well I fixed my oil level and I managed to find my boost leak, turned out a clamp on the charge pipe that connects to the intercooler was loose, so I tightened it up then took the car for a drive and the whistle died down significantly it sounds pretty much back to normal and my blow off valve FLUTTERS AGAIN!!! WOOOO I missed that flutter sound of pure sex.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Replaced my heater hose to stop my water leak, now my MK3 boosts like it used to and doesn't have any leaks. It feels good to drive her like this again.

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
I'm happy for you bro! I've got to get cracking on mine and take the damn head down to get it pressure tested. I miss driving the twins...

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2