Chambers Build Thread - "The RAV"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
ttsupra2503;1907102 said:
How much did you end up paying for that Bad boy?
I see you had a full tree that the fairy from "ferngully" didn't quite get going yet. If you dont know this movie I apologize but its a kids movie from back in the day.

Thinking about the tires and units you might be able to go up a couple inches without rubbing too much. I was thinking a 225/75r16 would fit nicely from the stock 235/60r16 (or 215/70r16) Original size is 27.1 inches and the 225/75r16 is 29.3 inches. I suggest these tires for a daily driver since it is aggressive but quiet

Keep up the good work at making this thing like brand new again.

Haha, yea I don't have any clue about a ferngully fairy. But I did get it for 9, its a fair price for the market. I looked around my area and adjacent ones comparing milage with condition and pricing before I bit the bullet.

I like that tread pattern a lot, thanks for the info! I will put those on the list. Thanks!

IJ.;1907125 said:
1uz you know you want to ;)

I think it may fit! :naughty:

scottiedawg66;1907174 said:
My dd is a gen 1 rav 5 speed Awd, 225k and still kicking! You can join my car club, the RAV riders, if you are bad ass enough :p

I'd never offload mine, but it is unstoppable in snow.

rav riders mount up! :nono:

Nice, I looked for a 4.1, but couldnt find any with a manual trans so I ended up finding a 4.2. I dont like the newer ones as much.

I don't plan on doing any serious off road trails, but being able to take it most places will suffice for me!

RAV Riders assemble! :biglaugh:

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
I had the RAV out in the snow on the way home today! AWD is fun! Yesterday I finished my mud flaps, too!

img0418xs.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1907125 said:
1uz you know you want to ;)
Now THAT would be a sweet sleeper!

Chambers;1908976 said:
I had the RAV out in the snow on the way home today! AWD is fun! Yesterday I finished my mud flaps, too!

img0418xs.jpg
Kinda reminds me of a rally-raid "car" Toyota had in GT4. Pretty sure it was meant for Dakar style racing, but it was oddly badass.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I bet a PD TDI motor out of a 2003-2006 jetta, golf or beetle would fit nicely in there... great gas mileage and more power. I have heard of them using Celica turbocharged motors. Something to look at if you just want to keep it gas.

I am gonna link this just because I think its funny as all hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwmN3d0x_s

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
The RAV 4.1 guys do the 3SGTE swaps, and they are far and few between.

There was a factory turbo diesel option in Europe for the RAV 4.2. It gets 39 mpg................ Gas get 24...

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
So, I got tired of the CB antenna on the roof. I looked around the back of the RAV and decided the best place was right above the tag. So I sketched up a design and ran with it. I'm very happy with the outcome. I picked up a 4' antenna, 9' cable, coupler, 12' cable, and 3/16"x1" steel stock to make this happen.

This was the first test fit after I welded the tabs on the horizontal bar. I was so glad it was good to go with no issues.
imag0752n.jpg

I'm getting better with the welder I think.
imag0753d.jpg

Finished welding!
imag0758g.jpg

To do this right I had to remove all the interior panels on the passenger side, It was way easier than I thought.
imag0764s.jpg

After I removed the barn door panel I put a hole for the cable near the tag light.
imag0769o.jpg

The 9' cable was used in the barn door, I ran it along the factory wiring harness and secured it with some zip ties. I then ran the cable through the rubber conduit that goes from the door to the body. It was a pain but it fit. The Idea is that if the barn door needs to be removed for any reason I can just take the coupler on the CB cable apart just as if it was factory.
imag0773w.jpg

imag0771e.jpg

Conviently Toyota used these awesome clips to hold the wiring and the rear window washer fluid tube, the CB cable fit right in the clips above the tube from the back all the way to the front of the vehicle.

imag0778u.jpg

imag0782p.jpg

imag0784w.jpg

So the final product is exactly what I was looking for, simple, effective, and clean!

imag0789d.jpg

imag0763c.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
So I have really been using the hell out of this Rav, its great for getting Supra parts!

This was one load from a friends place!
imag0695m.jpg

And all of this was a load from a craigs list add, the guy parted out three or four Supra and had a barn full of parts literally!

imag0636a.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Funny, I use my Supra to haul crap around in. Then I realized that the LS400 has a LOT more room to do stuff like that. :p

CB install looks really nice. Didn't know people still used it all that often. I suppose it could save your bacon someday though, so good to have if you know how to use it. :)

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks! My dad and me are trying to put one in all of our "work" vehicles so when we are out and about we can communicate without being on the cell phone.

Yea, the LS does have a nice big trunk and back seat!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not a bad idea at all, especially considering that CB has a decent range IIRC... and yep, the LS is mammoth sized compared to the Supra, shame they didn't make a wagon. Might not look as classy, but I'd probably like it more overall. :)

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
So I was cruising craigslist and came across a "safari bar" for the RAV! Guy ran it on his RAV for about a month then the engine started smoking so he pulled the parts off and stuck it right back in the box! SCORE!

rqp4.jpg

43gf.jpg