Chambers Build Thread - "The RAV"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
So after dealing with finicky and unreliable daily drivers for the last 4 years (other than my Supra) I decided to buy a newer vehicle. I searched up and down, far and wide, and looked at a handful of vehicles. I ended up finding this 2003 RAV4, its AWD with a 5 speed manual trans. I had to drive 2.5 hours to look at it, but it was the closest one around. It has only74k miles on it and did I mention is a 5 speed manual!!!

This little bugger is so fun to drive with the manual trans, the steering is real responsive and it has decent power for a 4 banger in this size vehicle.

The plan is to deck it out with off road lights and racks, maybe a little lift, wheels, and some more aggressive tires.

This is just after I got home:

img0361cf.jpg

img0362jkp.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A RAV4 with a manual... odd. Never thought I'd see that. You might also be the only guy I've ever seen buy one. :p

Just giving you crap man, but the manual thing really does surprise me. I suspect these are based somewhat on the Tacoma/4runner architecture?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Haha, nice. Yea its got a little going to a soccer game vibe to it right now, but thats gonna change.

The first gen RAV4 was based off the Corolla, the second gen (mine) I'm guessing is the same, but it uses an engine (1AZ-FE 2.0 VVTi) thats not used in any other Toyota vehicles in the US that I know of. I have read that the third gen uses the same engine (2AZ-FE 2.4 VVTi) as the Scion TC and Corolla.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
The battery was getting weak, so I got a new one. I'm glad I did, it must have been sitting under a tree for a long time. There was so much build up under the battery tray that it was turning to soil! Since I'm in the middle of moving I didnt have my shop vac otherwise it would have gone way easier, but I managed to clean most of it up and then hit the surrounding paint with some quick detailer, this vehicle should clean up and look even better.

img0363j.jpg

img0364db.jpg

img0366pb.jpg

img0368ol.jpg

img0369aym.jpg

img0370cn.jpg

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
te72;1890238 said:
A RAV4 with a manual... odd. Never thought I'd see that. You might also be the only guy I've ever seen buy one. :p

Just giving you crap man, but the manual thing really does surprise me. I suspect these are based somewhat on the Tacoma/4runner architecture?

In Canada at least, 1st and 2nd gen RAV4's are very common with the manual transmission. Starting with 2006 it was no longer available though.

Chambers;1890263 said:
Haha, nice. Yea its got a little going to a soccer game vibe to it right now, but thats gonna change.

The first gen RAV4 was based off the Corolla, the second gen (mine) I'm guessing is the same, but it uses an engine (1AZ-FE 2.0 VVTi) thats not used in any other Toyota vehicles in the US that I know of. I have read that the third gen uses the same engine (2AZ-FE 2.4 VVTi) as the Scion TC and Corolla.

The 1st-generation RAV4 is most certainly not based on the Corolla. It shares very little with the Corolla at all, the drivetrain is most similar to the Celica, while the suspension doesn't share much with any other Toyotas. The 2nd-generation shares a lot with the Camry/Highlander, still has a pretty unique suspension. The 3rd-generation shares engines with a lot of other models and the suspension is still relatively unique, however somewhat similar to the 2nd-generation Matrix as far as brakes go (though I would say that the Matrix is more like the RAV4, since it was introduced several years later).

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
In comes Jeff just STOMPING any misunderstandings before they become misinformation haha...

Anyway, I could see one of these making a pretty potent trail vehicle to be honest. Aside from that, I share your hatred of tree cum as well. Shit used to get all over my car when I lived with my parents...

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
So I continued my clean up, first replaced the air filter. Then checked the cabin air filter, and WOW it had tons stuff on it. I used my shop vac and cleaned up all that I could inside of the fan/filter housing. After that I changed the oil, cleaned some of the engine bay up, washed the vehicle, and went on using a clay bar and then a finial wax by hand to clean it up good. I went through all the door jambs, they were dirty but cleaned right up. I have come to the conclusion that this vehicle sat entirely under a tree, there was buildup in cracks and creases everywhere. During my cleaning I noticed some rust forming under the barn door seal, since I didn’t have any paint that matched I sanded it all down and laid a few coats of primer on.

img0376q.jpg

img0382hsz.jpg

img0372ep.jpg

img0384qj.jpg

img0386gf.jpg

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Be grateful that the tree seed pods you're finding aren't particularly pollen filled. That shit gets hard to clean off...

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Jeff Lange;1890847 said:
The 1st-generation RAV4 is most certainly not based on the Corolla. It shares very little with the Corolla at all, the drivetrain is most similar to the Celica, while the suspension doesn't share much with any other Toyotas. The 2nd-generation shares a lot with the Camry/Highlander, still has a pretty unique suspension. The 3rd-generation shares engines with a lot of other models and the suspension is still relatively unique, however somewhat similar to the 2nd-generation Matrix as far as brakes go (though I would say that the Matrix is more like the RAV4, since it was introduced several years later).

Jeff

you are aware that the corolla and matrix come off the same production line?, here in cambridge (TMMC)

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Got the rotors in, they are a lot bigger than I thought. I started pulling the brakes apart and noticed somthing was iffy, and didnt look right. I kept on working and not untill I got to the passenger side I noticed some rusted sheet metal steming from a small bolt. Its what is left of the dust shield... I'm guessing by the wear on the rotors and the thickness of the brake pads maintenance was other than oil changes was not on the list for the previous owner... I hate that, how can someone spend 20k+ for a vehicle that they wont even take care of......... Anyway, I got the new brake stuff on, painted the calipers, and any other nasty looking metal surface. Next the plan is ordering new dust shields with some other bits from Toyota.

imag0302l.jpg

imag0306zj.jpg

imag0308f.jpg

imag0309rn.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks good man. So, when can we expect a supercharger and some tires?

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
How much did you end up paying for that Bad boy?
I see you had a full tree that the fairy from "ferngully" didn't quite get going yet. If you dont know this movie I apologize but its a kids movie from back in the day.

Thinking about the tires and units you might be able to go up a couple inches without rubbing too much. I was thinking a 225/75r16 would fit nicely from the stock 235/60r16 (or 215/70r16) Original size is 27.1 inches and the 225/75r16 is 29.3 inches. I suggest these tires for a daily driver since it is aggressive but quiet

gy_wranglerdt_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=275QR6WDT&tab=Sizes

Keep up the good work at making this thing like brand new again.

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
My dd is a gen 1 rav 5 speed Awd, 225k and still kicking! You can join my car club, the RAV riders, if you are bad ass enough :p

I'd never offload mine, but it is unstoppable in snow.

rav riders mount up! :nono: