CF engine bay pics

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
^^ i had this done by a local fabricator..
i showed him some pics of rons stuff :love: and he basically copied it lol
i wanted to get one from RON but i just couldn't afford his asking price.

i couldn't stop staring at it all day long :evil2:

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
It's diffent for sure i can't say i'm the biggest fan but most def nice for shows without it looking ricey and it will complement a nice race look for your kick ass build going under the hood

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Well, I like it mainly because its the only one Ive seen like it and its being done VERY well... The CF doesnt look all lumpy and the clear coat is very smooth... It looks professional and not all hacked on... I really cant wait to see the finished product, so I'm gunna keep an eye on this...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That front facing intake manifold is gorgeous............I want one.

OH, that's right, I have one. It's just attatched to a itty bitty motor.............:biglaugh:

I think you're doing a great job Cat. Keep the pictures coming.............lol

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
catback, I did not mean to discourage you...to each their own.

I think carbon fibre looks pretty cool myself and I'm all for making things look good...I love polishing. I'm one for function too though...It just seems like a lot of work to make it look like your car is light (at least that's what I think of when I see carbon fibre). That being said it does look good and perhaps I should eat my own words because I invest a lot of timing polishing aluminum that does absaloutley nothing for performance when I could be delivering pizzas or something to buy parts.

moral of the story, to each there own and good work so far.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
i have to say i LOVE the idea and the execution is pretty spot on as well...

+100000 to you for trying something new and doing it well!

i think this would only look like it does on a black or dark blue car. as for ricey... i dont think so....as noted before it would be just like painting the bay....i like it a lot man... kudos to you!

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
thanks guys!!!:)
got the motor back from the shop today:):)
now i have to finish the bay,reasemble motor,tranny and i'm good to go...lol
i'm sure this maft-pro thingamagig lol,, is gonna give me some sleepless nights to :(

Tire Shredder said:
catback, I did not mean to discourage you...to each their own.

I think carbon fibre looks pretty cool myself and I'm all for making things look good...I love polishing. I'm one for function too though...It just seems like a lot of work to make it look like your car is light (at least that's what I think of when I see carbon fibre). That being said it does look good and perhaps I should eat my own words because I invest a lot of timing polishing aluminum that does absaloutley nothing for performance when I could be delivering pizzas or something to buy parts.

moral of the story, to each there own and good work so far.

not discouraging me at all:icon_bigg
i like my 36ooLB tank.
i didn't even look at it that way (to look light) lol..it just matches perfectly with my paint,here's a shot of my car, you can hardly tell that my side view mirrors are carbon..
p567348_1.jpg

Last edited:

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
i added a finished picture on the first page.:evil2:
overall i'm really happy by how it came out, each panel that i did came out better and in less time, this was a great learning experience , however i'll never do it again:biglaugh:
the motor is in now too, the ic piping and turbo oil lines need to be made still
hopefully i'll be able to fire it up by this upcoming weekend:burnout:

lets hear it .. what do you guys think???

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
johnathan1 said:
Ewwwwww! Pre-89 FTL...:barf:

Pre-89 and 89+ Supras are like completely different cars...they even have different seperate parts catalogs.

Did you know??

:biglaugh:

LOL!!! pre 89 FTMFW!!!!:evil2:
this front end is soooo ugly too;)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
i Like it a lot it very unique and nice looking, plus when you pop your hood everyone will be amazed.

I think i missed something tho, could you explain how you actually apply this stuff and mold the curves nicely.... Does it only really work with metal? i alway thought carbon fiber was put in a mold and baked super hot, ive never seen covered stuff before:dunno:....... I think CF valve covers would be SICK.

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
johnathan1 said:
IIRC woven carbon fiber is just like cloth...It is covered with a resin like you would cover fiberglass with...and then it can be polished. :)

Is this correct, or am I way off?

^^^ that's basically how i did it:)
with ALOT of wetsanding and clear coats. the hard part is not stretching the pattern out of the weave.

thanks for the compliments guys :icon_bigg