CF engine bay pics

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
some will like it, some will hate it.. lets hear it

my egine bay is now covered in carbon:biglaugh:
heres a few shots of the rad support completely done, the rest still needs the final clear coats.

what do you guys think?
any imput is welcome:icon_bigg
sm_photo_missing.jpg

heres a good look at pretty much the finished product:)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think it would be awesome if it was made out of carbon... but covering it in carbon doesn't do much for me.

I have to admit though, were it more functional and practical, I would definitely sport it.

Jon

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
suprarx7nut said:
Having carbon fiber just covering stuff seems kinda "ricer" to me.

That said, I'm not a huge fan. If it were functional, as mentioned above, I'd be all over it. :)

i was going to paint the bay to match, but thought i'd do something crazy:evil2:
good way to cover all the holes too ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
What is it made out of? Is it a vinyl covering that looks like CF or is it actually carbon fiber. I was just wondering how it would stand up to the heat of the engine bay. Ive never seen or felt of the rolls of carobn fiber so I dont' know what it's actually made of.

It may be a little on the ricer side, but if you like it, I say go for it. It looks o.k. to me and it is definately something that will surprise people when seeing it for the first time. Make sure you post up some more pictures when it's all done and good luck with the rest of your project.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
as an alternative to welding all of the holes shut and painting the engine bay, i think it is very nice. you should remove the headlights and get in behind them on the rad support. looks good!

catback

Mar 30, 2005
bitterville
suprahero said:
What is it made out of? Is it a vinyl covering that looks like CF or is it actually carbon fiber. I was just wondering how it would stand up to the heat of the engine bay. Ive never seen or felt of the rolls of carobn fiber so I dont' know what it's actually made of.

It may be a little on the ricer side, but if you like it, I say go for it. It looks o.k. to me and it is definately something that will surprise people when seeing it for the first time. Make sure you post up some more pictures when it's all done and good luck with the rest of your project.

it's real carbon,
i've been making some small carbon overlay stuff (arm rest, lock bezels etc.)
for friends, mostly honda's and cavaliers.
as far as heat goes i'm coating the pass side with engine enamel clearcoat, and not doing the whole firewall, that should keep me out of trouble lol

here's some more pics....
i have alot of wetsanding left:cry:

thanks for the comments guys:icon_bigg
keep them coming

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MattOneDizzle

URPHUKDNOW
Feb 4, 2007
Portland, OREGON
Cool man.. I like to see something new being tried out!

My brother in law has a supra we were thinking of doing this too but I never could quite understand the process of adhearing the cf to the metal properly. Are you concerned with it seperating at all?

Subcept

Learning
Mar 18, 2007
Seattle
you can use decient epoxy resins that can withstand heat much better than poly or vinyl esters. I've built items made to withstand 2,000*F + for customers. a lot of them also won't turn as yellow / green over time.

as much as a initial pain in the ass as it is, if you plug any holes under the lay-up with some bondo to seal it, and get a cheap vacuum pump, or a venturi vacuum that runs off your air compressor, and bag all that, it will look much more clean, and greatly minimize your finish work.

as long as the surface was prepped correctly (ground to metal) and wiped clean with some solvent, the carbon should never delaminate from the metal.

I'm considering making carbon IC piping for my car, tubing can be a pain in the ass, but it would be very unique, and I can make it any shape I want, with only necessary joints.

if anyone has any questions about composites, I've been doing this professionally for about 10 years, hit me up.

camera phone pic of some of my top fuel dragster scoops for example: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/438072110_8eb426729d_o.jpg

Last edited: