Centralia or Bust! ......Delilahs build

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I had my work cut out for me this weekend,

First item on the agenda was too add all the needed ports the the intake pipe
p1007477_1.jpg

Heres the flanges I had, I put them on the lathe and took off all the excess uneeded meat. The original is on the left, the turned on the right if you couldnt tell.
p1007477_2.jpg

Heres how the lower IC pipe came out when fitted.
p1007477_3.jpg

I had hoped to get most of the work done friday night. My plan was to prime and start it that night so fiday morning the front end was the only thing left to do saturday morning when I got home from work. Not the way things went to say the least. I got the IC pipes and intake done with all the ports and and the lower IC pipe on but didnt have time to paint them. Called it a day around one, got up for work at 4am. Saturday I had to pick up some hose and a few fittings on the was home and pick up my grandpas thunderbird so my brother could drive it too prom. So I didnt get home untill almost one with a lot of things to do yet. I added one more port to the bottom of the intake for the ps vent and painted them.
p1007477_4.jpg

p1007477_5.jpg

Put the front bumper on and the upper IC pipes and intake once it was dry.
p1007477_6.jpg

Pulled the EFI fuse to prime it, turned the key and all my starter did was click like it didnt have enough juice to extend the bendix all the way. At this point I was praying my battery was dead. I have had nothing but problems with the fidanza flywheel and wondering if it could have and issue with the starter as I never tested them. Finally I put the EFI fuse in and pulled the coil pack plug and it cranked righ over??? Primed it untill my oil pressur topped out, checked and added oil, plugged the coil in and it started when I tapped the key. At this point it was 1 in the morning again and I couldnt resist taking it for a drive. Depite the temp guage not registering, tail lights, battery and engine light being on and flying into fuel cut everything worked. The engine and battery lights were due to a shot battery, the check lamps light because I didnt reinstall my front turns yet and the temp gauge wire had broken off right by the sensor.

Heres her almost back together the next morning after the first drive.
p1007477_7.jpg

p1007477_8.jpg

p1007477_9.jpg

I took it for a longer drive and no more issues. The exhaust was louder than I wanted and dronned really bad an almost any speed. At this point I had the partial dragger on so it was duping right under the back seat which I hoped was why it was so loud. I added a bolt on rear section to bring it out the back and it went away. Before it was louder inside the car than outside.

p1007477_10.jpg

The car made the 83 mile trip down to pullman. I was aprehensive to take it on a trip that far right away when I had only test drove it a total of 20 miles. The alternative was to leave it home this week and then come home on friday and leave at 5 on saturday to make the 300 mile trip to centrailia.

Luis came over to see it and go for a drive. The first time I took it for a drive the waste gate line was barely on so that is why I hit fuel cut so ealily. With it on all the way its boosting about 6psi. Luise gave me his old Dr. Jones boost controller to remedy this.

p1007477_11.jpg

p1007477_12.jpg

p1007477_13.jpg

The only issues now are a abs code 51 to figure out and my bosch bov has a leak and isnt opening all the way. So if anyone has one they want to sell, I dont care if its a 102, 103, 108,114 or 110 at the moment I just need one.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Who's that loser on the phone? Tell him to stop standing like a teapot.

About time you updated this thread i've been wondering if you were ever going to upload pics. I'll hit you up before you take off for home again, we need to do some side by side runs to test out any kinks before the long drive to centralia if you know what i mean :evil2:

Hook up that BC.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Its on but Im afraid to turn it up too much with the condition of my bosch. I also installed my hks boost gauge and its amaizing how inaccurate the stock one is. Deffinatly get ahold of me before friday at 1 and we will go for a cruiz

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Me and Luis went for a little drive today, both cars are now 80mph twisties certified.:icon_bigg I had a little fuel cut, so I had to back off the mbc, and my tires dont hook for shit. Other than that is was a nice drive, we even had a guy we passed pull up when we stopped for a minute and tell us we needed a bigger exhaust because he heard it whistling.:sarcasm: If you could bring that bosch that would be great grim, mine is getting worse and Iv been frantically trying to get one on short notice with no avail. Thanks that would really help me out.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I realized I havent done an update since centrailia. First off the car made the 600+ mile round trip with almost no issues. I found a coolant leak when we stoped in tacoma, but it was just a loose clamp on a heater hose. Thanks again grim for the BOV, it sounds so much better than mine and I dont cringe before boosting anymore. I did find out when I got back that I had driven the entire trip with two boost leaks. I was happy with the power and the way the car was running before discovering them so I really cant complain. one was a port I forgot to plug on the HKS crossover pipe and the other was a 1/2 in split in the couppler between it and the tb. I also installed my boost guage finally and a Dr. j mbc.

p1028044_1.jpg

p1028044_2.jpg

The next thing on the list is new tires! These 225s arent cutting it. If anyone know where to get replacement bulbs for an hks gauge please let me know I havent had any luck finding any

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
finally! progress i was starting to wonder if you were going to keep up the momentum you had before.

Whats the story on your engine rebuild?

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Are you going to get new wheels too? I'm not sure how much wider you can go on those lil' ones you got. Obviously you could still go a LOT wider one your current wheels but it wouldn't exactly look good lol.

I also have an HKS boost gauge (I believe you made fun of it ;)) but I never came with a bulb or connector so it's just not lit up. If you figure that would out let me know, I don't NEED to know what I'm boosting at night but it would be nice sometimes.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I havent even started with the other motor yet, the short block is still sitting on the stand. Iv been searching for a 7M crank. Its a 90+ block but I only have a 6M crank. One of these days Ill tear it down and get the block magnafluxed/x-rayed along with the rods and go from there. Iv been too busy with work and chasing bugs with the car. I still have an abs code 51 I havent figured out. I started chasing it and then a code 34, and 71 combination started poping up. They only show up together never one or the other so I am assuming they are linked. I checked the egr, out its opening and getting vac at 130 degrees just as it should. Next Im going to check for any new boost leaks and check out the vsv if neither of those yield results Im stuck. Anybody have any sugestions? The car drives fine so its not a big issue the only symptom is a slightly rough/surging idle occasionally.

For now I just plan on getting new tires. I dont have the cash for new wheels right now and I like the way the wheels look, just not the size. It has 225s on it but they are just a passenger car tire. If I get some sport tires that are stickier it should help alot.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
So I figured Id throw and update up here. I had a few BIG boost leaks I cleared up, and now Im down to the code 71 which just means my non CA egr has no temp sensor for the ecu to monitor and I dont think its hurting anything. The lift is finally in our shop! :drink1: I Also finally got around to cleaning up my back brakes. And best of all NEW RUBBER. Finally I will be able to go WOT in 1st & 2nd with out floating the back end! On a sad note one of the substrates in my RT Cat came loose and started rattling around. Anyone have any idea what they use to glue it to the shell of the cat???

Attachments

• DSCF3543.JPG
    DSCF3543.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 26

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Ghey,

Next meet is at your place. I'll bring a new torque converter so i can thoroughly test out that lift. As for the resonator, a simple fix would be straight pipe....? I like the new work environment should be much safer in a way with more space.

more pics!