Centralia or Bust! ......Delilahs build

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Made it home this weekend. This is the least fun part of any build, The Cleaning!

Who doesnt love coming home to new parts, its like christmas every weekend!
p929019_1.jpg

Heres a shot of the head surface and CCs after somecleaning. If you scroll back to before you'll notice the huge difference.
p929019_2.jpg

Heres the Intake side after a bit of cleaning
p929019_3.jpg

And the Exhaust, you can see where the exhaust gasket was leaking it was completely separated into two halves
p929019_4.jpg

heres the gasket surface and pistons, the deck deffinatly needs some work to get the gasket off
p929019_5.jpg

heres the sides of the block, all the oil and grease is scrubbed off and any loose paint is gone, its pretty much ready for primer and paint
p929019_6.jpg

p929019_7.jpg

I also cleaned up the water pump and the under the lower timing cover
p929019_8.jpg

p929019_9.jpg

p929019_10.jpg

heres the next project to tackle, wrestling the wiring harness out of the intake manifold, taking the electronics off and cleaning it up.

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
The worst part of only getting 1-2 days to work every 1-2 weeks is cleaning becomes the last priory. So I had to take some time and do that this weekend
p943398_1.jpg

I forgot how much easier to work in a clean shop
p943398_2.jpg

This is the cleaning stage of the build. Got these parts prepped for paint
p943398_3.jpg

Shined up the intake mani
p943398_4.jpg

Began porting the exhaust manifold
p943398_5.jpg

p943398_6.jpg

Picked up a partial exhaust for dirt cheap, Now I just need a rear muffler to go with it.
p943398_7.jpg

I also loosened the cam caps. all the valves dropped down nicely so shes ready for the machine shop
p943398_8.jpg

Awsome News st2b, you helpin me out big time with those parts. Hopefully after next week Ill have pics of them back on the motor

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
So the Motor is at the machine shop, One big step out of the way. Hopefully the machinist will be able to get to it soon. Im hoping to at least get the motor and tranny ready to go back in over spring break, which starts friday. I need to find the quickest and cheapes place to get a cometic head gasket, so if anyone has any sugestions please let me know.

I was able to finish porting the exhaust manifold.
p945535_1.jpg

p945535_2.jpg

The turbo to mani gasket was about 3mm wider than either openings so I matched both to it. I also went over the inside of the exhaust housing to get rid of the carbon build up.
p945535_3.jpg

I ported the wastegate, theres room to open it up a good 5-6mm and still have good overlap with the flapper. This should give me a little more contol over boost levels and will allow me to set the boost all the way back down to the stock range if I choose.
p945535_4.jpg

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
lookin good man. the cleaning stage of my build took FOREVER! i hated it, but it needed to be done. it takes more time to clean everything then it does to put everything together. you seem moving along pretty nicely. what are your power goals?

-t3d

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Cleaning is the worst for sure, so time consuming. My goals are pretty modest, Im sticking with 440s so I think 300 at the wheels give or take is a decent goal for now. It is a daily driver for thee most part. I wont make that at first but later on with a 57 trim safc and some tuning I think I can break that pretty easily. Hopefully soon after this project is done me and my brother can start our shared project. We plan on building a street legal but for the most part track designated monster.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Nice build T3D, your a little more ambitious than I. So at the moment Im stuck in that place most have been in and everyone hates. Waiting on my machinist. The worst part about this is once he surfaces the head I still have to order my head gasket and wait for it to arrive before I can get rolling. Im anticipating needing a .60 (1.524mm) gasket possibly a .065 but Im having trouble finding sources. Most people who carry cometic dont carry this size so if anyone knows where I can get this please let me know. Iv found 2 places 1 on ebay who says it will take 6 days for cometic to make the gasket then it will be shipped and the other wants $56 or something for 3 day shipping so either way its not as fast as I would like. wish me luck

CENTRALIA OR BUST!

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
haha thanks. i remember that part. it sucks! i have a bunch of pictures that i need to post on my build thread. i've been alittle lazy =0) now is time to clean up the engine bay while you're waiting.

-t3d

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Im a bit behind on upates but I got the motor back from the machinist and bad news. Well actually somewhat expected news, the block needs a little more than a lapping to pull off an mls. So its going to get completely tore down. Its just a shame to toss rings with 24k on them. Anyways Im going to put my spair motor in the car for now, so I can take my time and rebuild this one over the next few months. Now I have to find a good machinist in spokane, and figure out what rings and bearings to go with. Looks I can still have it back together for centalia so that is good news

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Sucks on the motor, what will you be running in there? Let me know if you need help, i'm willing to spend a weekend up there helping you out if you want. You have a PM.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Looks like she'll stay where she is for a while, at least I have another good motor in the back of the shop so I can drive the car while i tear it down. The spare has 17k original miles on it and ran perfect before it was stored so fingers crossed its still that way
p963228_1.jpg

I also got my fidanza flywheel back from the machinist, I had him surface it and set it up so I could run the stock disc
p963228_2.jpg

you can see where he took out the inside diamiter out about 5mm to clear the rivets on the stock clutch disc. I would done it my self but I didnt want to have to deal with finding a way to center it on the lath. Plus he hooked me up
p963228_3.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
GC89;962126 said:
Im a bit behind on upates but I got the motor back from the machinist and bad news. Well actually somewhat expected news, the block needs a little more than a lapping to pull off an mls. So its going to get completely tore down. Its just a shame to toss rings with 24k on them. Anyways Im going to put my spair motor in the car for now, so I can take my time and rebuild this one over the next few months. Now I have to find a good machinist in spokane, and figure out what rings and bearings to go with. Looks I can still have it back together for centalia so that is good news

Get it in as the more Supras the better :)

Duane

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
americanjebus;962158 said:
Sucks on the motor, what will you be running in there? Let me know if you need help, i'm willing to spend a weekend up there helping you out if you want. You have a PM.

I'm up in Spokane as well. I normally work on the weekends but if there's a weekend in particular you guys wanna get together and do some work I'd probably be down.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Im heading home this weekend if anyone wants to lend a hand. If all goes as planned I can get a few touch ups done on the engine bay, grind the pins off my motor mounts, finish painting some brackets, and get the tranny and wiring harness on the motor so its ready to go in.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
The exhaust manifold was leaking on my brothers car pretty bad so we decided to change the gasket. and cleaned everything up while we were at it.

p964210_1.jpg

p964210_2.jpg

3 of the studs stripped out in the process. We decided to helicoil it in the stock size rather than go to 7/16 so incase it ever happens again we can take them up to 7/16. We found that the threads in the head were actually twice as long as the threads on the stud, so we decided to get longer studs. The only problem is nobody in spokane carries 10X1.25 studs even in the stock size. which I thought was strange, if I recall correctly toyota has used that thread on different things all the way back to the 22Rs. The original studs that came out were corroded and toyota said it would be like 3 days before they could get them in. We decedided to make our own. I found some 60mm 10.9 grade bolts, the stock studs being 55mm.
p964210_3.jpg

We put them in the lathe and turned the heads down so next time the manifold needs to comeoff we can grab the ends with vice gripps to prevent putting any torque on the head.
p964210_4.jpg

Here you can see the difference in length between the studs we made and the originals.
p964210_5.jpg

That turned out to be a lot bigger project than we expected. It took a lot of time away from getting my car done. We also changed his tranny oil and his shifter bushings. MT-90 and MarlinCrawler FTW!
Now we just have to figure out why his passenger window wont roll up

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Well I live in pullman, my little brother is a senior in high school and still lives at home. My car is back in spokane in my dads shop so thats where all the action happens. My dad has pretty much everything, a milling machine and a paint booth would be nice:love: but other than that. Hopefully we can get both the lifts put in once my car is done, that should make swapping the original motor back in when its built a piece of cake.