Centralia or Bust! ......Delilahs build

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Little progress, not much for pics though.

I was able to pressure wash and de-grease the subframe, lower arms and knuckles. I also managed to get all of the inner parts of the lCA bushings out so I am down to just the outer 'Sleeves'. I was successful in getting one out by cutting most of the way through with a saw'z'all and then going at it with a chisel. Took forever though. I think I will turn down a sleeve and give pressing them out a shot on the 60 ton press. I also cleaned and degreased the swaybar links, all the camber bolts and other misc stuff.

Still waiting on Subframe bushings Ronnie has a lot going on with getting married and is traveling. Also ordered the new whiteline LCA bushings and new uca bushings. The top of the subframe came out really nice and clean and the factory paint is in great shape. The bottom has quite a bit of tar/grease that even de-greaser and the pressure washer isn't cutting. I keep going back and forth on if I should just continue soaking/scubbing rinse and repeating and then touch up with some heavy duty paint. Or should I just have it sand blasted an powder coated...................If I decide to coat I have the secondary decision of paying $250 to have it done or putting that money into building a larger oven and doing it myself...................

Heading to Hawaii tomorrow morning for a much needed vacation so I will think on it while I'm there :D

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have been slowly making some progress here and there, between taking a much over due vacation, a 8 day power outage and the ensuing amount of work that followed since I work for the Utility Company.

After battling the first LCA bushing with a sawzall and chisel I decided there is no way I was going through that hell again 3 more times.......

20151126_112535.jpg

I still put the sawzall to use cutting nearly through the outer sleeve of the bushings and folding the lip in.

20151126_155834.jpg
20151126_160617.jpg

I then turned down a die and let the press do the rest of the work. Much quicker and less infuriating solution.
20151126_162653.jpg
20151126_162813.jpg

So the LCA's are done just need to be sand blasted. Going to check to see if the machine shop here at work has a cabinet. I have a 'total loss' blasting gun I can shoot outside but I hate wasting all that media on anything other than very small parts. Then I can powdercoat them and press the new bushings in.

Aside from that just lots of cleaning/stripping on the rack, hubs, UCA's ect. Also still figuring out what to do on the front sub-frame. Way to big to put in my coating oven and quotes all came in around $250 to have a shop do it. Whatever they coated it with from the factory is pretty tough stuff and it good shape just takes alot of work to clean off the grease/tar/dirt and I will have to touch up a few scratches and chips with some paint.............I would like a fresh coating but I am struggling to justify the effort/cost when its in as good of shape as it is in.

I have a coating project I am doing on trade this week but I'm really itching to get this front end back together so I can work on some other part of the car....................Feels like there is so much left to do to get it on the road still. Hopefully I can find some time here any there waiting for items to cure ect to work on this.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
atmperformance;2064909 said:
those bushings are a pain, good job.

Very much so, the first one took me 4+ hours of trying different approaches on it and then finally biting the bullet and going at it will a chisel. The other 3 probably took me 1 1/2 or so including turning down the piece of pipe to fit. Definitely a worth while time investment.

Not much work on the Sup is going to get done this week. This coating work is really taking some time.

I did get a package from Kiwi-Land the other day though! Worth the wait, Thanks Ronnie!

IMG_20151209_144817.jpg

I also have a few more goodies on the way to look forward to..........

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Not much progress sadly but parts continue to roll in....................... the Coating work has really been eating up all of my time but I am hopefully wrapping up the last of it this week. Probably the last job I will do for a while as I don't have time to work on my own projects let alone someone else's. I have been throwing a few of my own parts in between though so I will post pics once completely finished.

20151215_073119.jpg
20151215_073149.jpg

Finally managed to track one down, I have been wanting to relocate and free up some space for a very long time.

20151208_214305.jpg

Also with the Holidays family time has taken priority as it should. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. This year was my daughters first time sledding..........she absolutely loved it and had no issues with going down the inlaws 1/4 mile driveway with me. She is definitely going to be a dare devil like Dad.

20151225_153146.jpg

Info on the charcoal canister? I have been looking for some small canister to free up the space for other use as well.

My friend who is automotive engineer told me that the toyotas fuel vapor system in mk3 supra needs to have the canister in warm/hot place so it would work the best possible way. For me it's enough that the car does not smell gas so that is why I dont want to delete the system completely.

Small press hepls alot when replacing the bushings.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
^^^ Super top secret, Newer Ducati's use an identical charcoal canister to the JZA70 and actually have a better mount for relocating. Check ebay, mine was a brand new take off a undriven bike and cost <20 shipped. :D

Few updates, finally got the majority of my powdercoating parts out the door for my customer. It will likely be the last job I do for quite some time as I just dont have time between a day job, family and my own projects with are already neglected.

Anyway they came out quite good considering the state they were in when handed to me.

20151230_235307.jpg
20151230_235430.jpg

I also was able to coat a few parts for Delilah since I already was setup. A few Progression shots of one of the pieces I did:

20151221_194407.jpg20151223_200211.jpg20151230_232931.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I would search the charcoal can delete threads on this site, here is one I saved but there are few others with good discussion http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?125396-My-stealth-charcoal-canister-install-*PICS*

I decided against removing it and searched forever for a smaller replacement to relocate. The check valve in the canister maintains 2 or so psi in the fuel tank which assists the fuel pump, also without it you may get some fuel fumes when the car sits. Many will say "I removed it and haven't had any issues" - read up a bit and then you will have to make the call whats best for you and what you want for the car.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Slow but steady progress, working on my customers wheels now which are the last pieces I am coating. Also working on stripping the LCA's, cleaning up the hubs for paint and straightening up my workspace a bit before I tear into the rack.

Also picked this up the other day for a new daily. Very different from the supra but quite fun to drive in its own way.

FB_IMG_1451854821635.jpg

Already had the matching carseat for the kiddo :naughty:

262.jpg

87Tmk3

Apr 14, 2012
Iowa
So you can see what it takes to put the front calipers from the Evo on the supra now lol. I like the feel of my Evo brakes just never have time to see what it would take to make them fit on the supra

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I was actually staring at them and thinking that just the other day. I'm not sure its worth the effort with the discovery of the mercedes calipers but I will still probably take measurements someday anyway. :)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I was hoping progress would pick up quicker than this but..........life

Here are the last few shots of that powdercoating job I did, so glad to be finished with it and to be able to direct what limited free time I have to my own projects from here on out.

IMG_20160205_215057.jpg
IMG_20160205_220828.jpg
20160205_010854.jpg
20160205_010659.jpg

All in all I think it came out pretty good considering the state they came to me in. The owner rides his bike hard and year round, even in winter whenever the snow is mostly off the roads. I also usually require that everything be at stripped and or blasted before I take it in because I am just not equipped to do anything other than small parts. I broke that rule this time and really regretted it after the huge amount of time the prep took.

Anyway on to new things. I also made it out to a small breakfast meet for the local evo owners group. Its a fun daily to me and not my 'baby' like many of the other owners but it was fun no less to get out and meet some new people. Not much of a supra group here anymore and I really miss having others around that share my interests and who will get together for some wrenching.

IMG_20160130_140232.jpg

Updated should start rolling.......I mean it this time haha

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Bit of progress, rack is cleaned, stripped and disassembled. Now onto cleaning every little crevice inside and out and waiting on some more supplies to show up. Even though you cant see the rack when its in the car I have some plans in store for cleaning this up.

IMG_20160222_103359.jpg

Also debating on what to do on my hubs..............swap wheel bearing just because they are out?

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Nothing too exciting this weekend, did a full fluid change on the Evo. Oil/trans/xcase/diff, I was tired of the trans being a temperamental b!tch until warmed up. Its very utilitarian like the 154, strong enough for some solid power but shifts a bit like a farm truck. Anyway I looked under the car when I brought it home on the extended test drive but this was the first time getting it in the air. This is what loud looks like.....

IMG_20160227_220627.jpgIMG_20160227_180006.jpg

Also did some work on the supra but nothing really pic worthy. I finished pulling the remaining oil seals and bearings from the ps rack. Pressed the old bushings our of the upper arms and pulled/cleaned the boots and removed all the old grease. I also sand blasted a few misc things like the front subframe cross bar and rack mounting brackets. I landed a new commercial oven a few weeks ago and should have the parts today along with more powder and supplies. Excited to be able to run things through in real batches for a change.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Made some progress over the weekend, not a ton to show for it but I finished stripping this batch of parts. Lower control arms are ready for coating and new bushings and ball joints
20160306_193904.jpg

Upper arms are cleaned and ready for clear coat. Then they are ready for new bushings and new boots with fresh grease.
20160306_193924.jpg20160306_193951.jpg

I also finished cleaning and rewiring the new oven I picked up for 220. Took it for a test cycle and was very pleased with the heating time. Took about half the time to reach temp despite being 5x the size of my old one. I am going to try to do a final prep and pre-heat all the parts in the next couple of days. I am taking a week off whenever my wife has our baby which could be any day now so I am queuing up some work for that.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I finished up rewiring the new oven I picked up and installed some tracks to roll parts in and out. Not really supra related but it allowed me to do my next batch of parts in one shot which was so much quicker

20160414_221013.jpg20160414_221028.jpg

Did the first batch of parts in it a few days later. I primered my Lower Control Arms, powers stearing rack and some other misc pieces. I'm going to try to shoot them with color coat in the next couple days.

20160414_220851.jpg

Still a long way to go.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Wow year and a half plus since I have updated this thread? Need to get my shit together.

It's been a busy year, had my second child in March of last year, coincidentally about the time of my last update. Funny how that works. Bought and sold a house....... in that order, which I do not recommend.

It has been fantastic though, out of the city a bit, much more space for the family and a 3 car garage and 1.25 acre lot for a future shop for the 'girls'. I have made progress on Delilah but not as much as I would like. The move put things on hold for several months and then again due to a major project at work for the last 6 months.

In anycase shooting for finishing up the front end and rolling her home for bodywork reassembly before the snow hits. Going to be close.

Also another change is coming soon....

20170905_231315.jpg