Centralia or Bust! ......Delilahs build

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
For a good paint job, yes. Otherwise, you have "build up". Build up is basically an "edge" or a "ledge" and looks baaaaaaaaad. It looks like poop to be exact! Your paint will also start to flake off in no time...

Ryan will likely have a better answer; but, there's mine. ;)

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Good to know. I think the previous owner didn't have everything removed. I can see over spray on many parts of the bumpers.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ya it can be done without removing everything but if your going to put all the work in you might as well do it right. The original owner not having everything removed the first time is the reason I am doing this again now, and the project just keeps expanding. It started as me shooting and clearing all the silver areas, then I decided to base all those areas out and have the whole car cleared, then I decided to work on a few dings and blemishes, and finally we decided it was best to shoot the whole car because the risk for blending lines were just too high.

Ken, me and my dad would have shot it completely ourselves but work schedule up till I go back to school gives me no days off and my buddies at the shop offered to shoot it for a few six packs more than having me do it in their booth. Im comfortable with painting but I know they can do it faster and better than me anyways. Did you come to a conclusion on your wheels dilemma???

Oh and by the way its done and in the garage curing Im just behind on pics, working on getting some up now.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
The most recent set of pictures (after paint) I have are on my wifes camera so I will have to wait and put those up later.

Me and my dad taping the car off outside the shop

p1602866_1.jpg

Taping inside the hatch wasnt the most enjoyable thing I have ever done!

p1602866_2.jpg

p1602866_3.jpg

all done

p1602866_4.jpg

p1602866_5.jpg

My dad Kicking my ass for suckering 3 days of labor out of him, with no overtime pay.....or any pay for that matter lol

p1602866_6.jpg

p1602866_7.jpg

The car sitting in the shop to cool overnight before going into the booth in the morning

p1602866_8.jpg

p1602866_9.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Ok I finally got the pictures off my wifes camera

The lighting and flash makes the color look incredibly bright. Its actually slightly darker than it was before
and with a little heavier metalic. The pictures also look like they make the cae have a pink tone to it which
is also not the case.

So here it is the day after being shot and baked in the oven over night.

p1603406_1.jpg

p1603406_2.jpg

p1603406_3.jpg

This one looks the closest to the actual color in person but still looks light and has a sort of pink hue.

p1603406_4.jpg

Ill get more pics up when I can. Work the next few days will keep me from running over and working on anything on the car.
Im going to let it sit and cure for a good week before I give it a cut and buff. Im also heading back down to school in just
over a week so hopefully I can still get it back together at a decent pace.

Im currently going throught all the harness plugs and figuring out exactly how they perform and if they are going to be needed with my
setup down the road. Ill post some info I have gathered tomorrow and will need some input. Anyone reading this who is running an FFIM
please check back Ill have some questions.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
did some work on A supra today... not mine though

Me and my bro finally decided to fab up the missing sections of his piping today and install his 3" intercooler. He has been running half of a lipp IC pipe set for quite a while. He had the 3000 pipe replacement and the turbo to IC pipe but the rest was a jumble of stock and aircraft ducting lol.

p1603846_1.jpg

p1603846_2.jpg

I'd say it came out pretty good for a quick project before I headed to work

I have also been gathering info on the wiring harness and sensors in preparation for building a new one this winter. I have wanted to build a new harness with mil-spec connectors at the firewall for easy engine removal, remove what I can and that incorporates the maft pro harness. Here are my thoughts, looking for some input

Red = I think it COULD be removed, not yet sure what sure should be yet
Blue = comments

this list corresponds to these pics put up by 92teal

p1603846_3.jpg

p1603846_4.jpg

HOT SIDE

1. Cold Start Injector Plug---Remove with FFIM need input from those running them?
2. O2 Sensor Plug
3. Cam Position Sensor Plug
4. ECU Coolant Sensor Plug
5. Radiator Cooling Fan Sensor Switch Plug-- makes contact >234 off <225
6. A/C Coolant Sensor Switch Plug-----What does it do, condenser fan? on >212 off <203
7. (Air Flow Meter Plug)------Remove
8. Instrument Cluster Coolant Temp Gauge Plug
9. Oil Pressure Plug
10. From headlight relay, it has been Unknown, but I found it, but I don't see where it plugs in.

COLD SIDE

1. Check Connector
2. Ignition Resistor Plug
3. Resistor Plug on body ( Rectangle shape )
4. C1 Plug located next to the fuse box
5. Igniter Plug
6. Igniter Plug
7. Progressive Power Steering Plug
8. #1 Knock Sensor Plug
9. #1 VSV---Opens briefely at hot start to increase fuel pressure (Is this needed with FFIM)
10. Idle Air control Plug
11. Fuel Injector #1 Plug
12. Coil Plug
13. Fuel Injector #2 Plug
14. Cold Start Injector Plug-----Remove with FFIM?
15. Fuel Injector #3 Plug
16. Fuel Injector #4 Plug
17. Throttle Position Sensor Plug
18. Fuel Injector #6 Plug
19. Fuel Injector # 5 Plug
20. (Blank)-------Remove
21. Start Solenoid Plug
22. Manual Transmission Reverse Light Plug
23. Ground under Intake Manifold
24. ABS Plug for Manual Tranmission
25. #2 VSV------- EGR, controls when the egr opens and recirculates combustion gasses(to remove egr or not to hmmm)
26.#2 Knock Sensor Plug
27. Horn Plug

my main questions are;

1. Whether most run the cold start injector with an FFIM?
2. I have a JDM ecu so I could ditch the egr but is it worth the slight temp increase in cylinder 6, Im on the fence.
3. Is the AC temp switch for the condenser fan? do they even have them on 89+? Mine never has
4. If the AC switch is even needed, could it and aux fan temp switches be tied together so the fans kick on at a lower temp?
5. does anyone with an FFIM and AFPR run the fuel pump vsv?

Thanks for the compliments guys, Ill try to get more pics up in natural light before I go back

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Nearly 5 years............ time to get this build going again!

Alot has changed since 2010 but unfortunately not much withe the Supra. I graduated from college, got a real job, bought a house, remodeled entire said house, changed jobs and had my amazing daughter. Not a bad 5 years at all.

The downside is I didn't have much time to even think about the supra. It sat parked in my dad's shop under a cover still stripped in its post paint condition for a couple years. I have a 20x24 garage at my place so I trailered it there after getting settled in and it sat again. Eventually I got slightly motivated and pulled the wiring harness and took it down for a full rebuild. I replaced any brittle or damaged wires all the way from the ecu plug and put new connectors wherever needed. I was about 80% done but needed some larger shrink wrap for the ecu end and then life got busy again.

Finally this spring I saw a nice supra on my way home from work and decided it was time..........pics in a few

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Here is the harness finally completed, hoping it fixes my hot start issue.

20150426_resized_1.jpg
20150426_180111_resized_1.jpg

And we took the little Monster to the lake and out on the boat this week.
FB_IMG_1435783422618.jpgFB_IMG_1435990350134.jpg

This little toy hasn't helped much with the motivation to work on the supra during the summer either the past couple seasons.
201507.png

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thanks I deffinately can't complain! Now I just need a little supra progress......

Managed to pull everything out to see where I'm at. Lots of work ahead. I would like to get the harness back in and get it running before starting on the body. I need to confirm that the hot start issue was resolved by the harness and then maybe install the new fuel system. Utill I cut and polish the car I don't have to be too worried about minor dust scratching or anything.

201505273_resized_1.jpg201505272_resized_1.jpg

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have been making some progress despite work hours being a bit crazy lately.

The car is fully cleaned out

ajiKL-uHX-YPWEIOkQb6WvGNKLPp56GVrZ_TGTSizeo=w847-h477-no

D7hDjJ13YlD-rA5tNvJCR_9ohTrXiyGJtJu-TPn_jBQ=w1022-h574-no

Also IT RUNS, I was able to get the harness and everything else that goes with it back together. This is the first start up in 5 years. I let it run for about half an hour to get fully up to temp. No hot start issues no matter how many times I tried so it appears the harness really was the culprit

https://www.youtube.com/embed/aafIgfj4vNc

Next step is to start wetsanding before hitting it with compound and polish. Also have a long list of new bits I need to order up from toyota. anyone know how to embed youtube videos? [youtube][/youtube] and the provided embed code both do not seem to work

Last edited:

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Smallish update:

Flushed the ps system and pulled the res to clean it out as I suspected that the screen was plugged again. That resolved the ps whine that you can hear in the video.

I decided I really would like to get all of the mechanical to-do items buttoned up before working on putting the exterior back together. Until I level and hit the car with Compound+Polish I don't have to be as concerned with minor dust scratches ect so its better to be leaning over it and working around it now vs after.

First task is to go through the fuel system. I have an Aeromotive AFPR+ New MKIV fuel pump along with lines/filter ect that has been sitting since before I painted the car. I would like all this in so I can feel good about really dialing in the tune and pushing the fresh 440's to their true potential.

Before tearing all this down I would like to be sure that my hot start issues are completely resolved so I put the tails/turns back on over the weekend an am going to take it out for a short cruise tonight to get to full op temp to verify. My motivations may also be that I haven't been behind the wheel of Delilah in 5 years...........

wish me luck, tool bag will be coming along just in case.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Took her for the first spin in 5 years last night..............And it was fantastic. My 20 minute drive ended up being nearly 1 1/2 hours. :D

Had a small amount of fuel still in the tank (5 years old:thumbdown) Probably should have drained it but it was really close to E so I just put about 3/4 of a tank of premium in. I also dialed back the tune to barely pushing stock boost and didn't go wide open just to be cautious of how well everything is still dialed in after this long.

All in all I forgot how exceptional this car is to drive, even being rattly with most of the interior out, No AC and not being able to roll down the windows and on basically stock power is is fantastic. Who needs rear windows, mirrors or door handles anyway?! I stuck to a secluded backroads trip along the Spokane river to avoid any unwanted attention. Most of the trip was filled with tight enough corners that the 7M's low end torque was enough to push the car without even building much if any positive pressure.

FqtCk4whp1z2OQQBTTeQADreFwuKd0TH1AU8xmyu-MM=w1022-h574-no

ry57ydRQaNJH5Kzr-5oFG7D0XSzDEix5oQ58EoZrCRQ=w1022-h574-no

Wife was a little ticked when I got back but all in all a great drive after a very long day at work. Best part was NO issues upon Hot starting several times throughout the trip and off and on for an hour after getting home.

Now that I am confident that issue is resolved back to my build plan and actual progress. Unfortunately I did discover that my passenger side rack boot has a tear and that side was leaking fluid pretty heavily. This bumps up to the top of the priority list so fuel will have to wait a bit.

Next Mini 'Build Project' - Rebuild the entire front end

1. Replace:

• PS Rack
    PS Rack Bushings - Poly (Ronnie)
    PS Hoses
    Lower Ball Joints (Due for a while)
    Tie Rod Ends
    Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings (unsure if I want poly for ride, potentially energy/ronnie)
    Front Sub Frame Bushings (Ronnie)
2. Install rack spacers while I'm in there
3. Flush PS system, install magnefine filter and re-fill
4. Clean/Coat EVERYTHING while I am in there.

I had wanted to do a suspension overhaul/build next winter but I will just get this part I of that out of the way now.

More Parts and Progress to Come - Going to have to get this done before I have to worry about weather

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Going to run the car out to my fathers place tonight in preparation for tearing the front end down. Have parts on order so aside from Ronnie's stuff which has to come from New Zealand its more a question of how much time I can allocate to the project.

Doing the work at my fathers place means I will only get to work on it 1-2 days a week as he lives about 35 min away. He has both a 2 and 4 post lift in his shop though so I decided that convenience outweighs doing it on my garage floor and being able to work on it anytime. He is just putting in a new garage door and lights in the bay I will likely use, so unfortunately doubt I will make any real progress tonight. Hoping to at least get the bay ready and pull the car in so I can jump into it next time I head out.