Casey's Ricer RHD Build

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
My last build turned out to be hopeless. The body of the car was useless to me, it required too much bodywork and too much bondo. So i found a car that better suited my needs. I picked it up in Dec for $500.

New 88 targa
p518356_1.jpg

p518356_2.jpg

I got new window louvers so the ugly faded ones will be replaced by brand new shiny ones.

p518356_3.jpg

Body kit

Shineauto Gracer front bumper
Bomex sideskirts
Bomex rears - just bought from Supranicks buddy, Brian
89+ taillights
89+ molding
Sunshade - just bought - Thanks Kevin
Turn Signal Covers - just bought - again thanks Kevin, lol
Ruff Racing R280 Rims 18x9.5 rear 18x8.5 front

I got a turbo engine and tranny from Divin' Devin. Hella great seller. He drove the engine to me which was a 5 hour drive. Just want to say thanks again Devin. Good luck on your 1j swap.

It was all going good, I was buying a new item every week. Then I got fired for a BS reason, so i cant buy anything else until i find a new job. I was just about to buy the rest of the body kit also. :icon_evil It sucks.

I also jumped in on the TRD shift knob group buy. I got the knob in like 4 days. It kinda scared me because there was no confirmation of a recieved payment.

Here is the new engine after some cleanup
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

a new intercooler i cant use yet, i need a bigger turbo. 24x12x3 without end tanks, 3" inlet/outlets.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Saved some items from the last car that I was going to use. The LIPP high flow fuel rail and the aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

A list of upgrades that I'll be buying after i get a new job and the rest of the body kit:

Forged JE pistons, .20 over
Pauter Rods
FFIM w/ Q45 TB
+1mm full Ferrea valve train
JT70 turbo
Tial BOV
680CC RC Injectors
Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump
3" Cooleze downpipe
3" exhaust
C's short shifter
Jaws Gear aluminum 1 pc. driveshaft

I haven't decided which clutch I'll use yet, i was looking at the clutchmasters stage 3, but i dont really want a harsh engagement. I'm not sure if I'll get a lightened flywheel either.

As of right now, I'll put the engine in with the W58 instead of the R154 because I don't have a driveshaft for the R154. I was going to buy the Jaws Gear one but i got fired the day I was going to order it. The W58 has an upgraded clutch so it should be fine for a bit. The engine will stay stock for a little while so I can just get used to driving the car again, it's been 2 years since I've driven a Supra lol.

And after a long time of searching for some nice black rims with a chrome lip i finally settled on some rims. The Ruff Racing R280s. 18x9.5 and 18x8.5 +35 offsets for front and rear.

Picture of said rims....
ruff-racing-r280b.jpg

If anyone remembers my last failed build with the red car, I'm still doing the black with red accents theme. I got an 89+ climate control with red LEDs in it, thanks Jayson, and I put red LEDs in the gauge cluster. I just need to work on the interior again.

And thats about it, I'll post pics of some little things as I go along. As soon as I can find a place I can use to swap the engines, I'll post some more pics. And sorry about the disorganized post. Lol.

Divin' Devin

Supra Extremist
Oct 8, 2005
Volusia county,Florida
sorry about your bit of bad luck. Hope you get a chance to do all those mods. I love seeing some one redo these supras. So few are still around. My build isn't on hold really, just cash flow issues, as with you. Are you building for street or strip? Mine is for street. Just want to be able to stomp on some more modern cars with a bullet proof, rare engine that most would not even suspect. You would be suprised how many toyota mechanics that aren't aware of the 1jzgte. Like I said before that 7mgte was goin' right into this one, until ole 1j came along and I decided to be different.
Get that new job and get on that build. I want to see that car when you are done. Maybe we can meet up some time. If you have any questions on that particular engine, such as previously known work, just pm me.
good luck,
-Devin

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I hear you Devin, I like these cars because they are pretty much the underdog. They stay out of sight and under the radar. I will definitely drive up there sometime when the engine is running good. Maybe we'll head to Moroso to race each other when were both running lol.

Thanks Nick, I got the rears yesterday. I'll have a new job pretty soon. So expect some more money. Lol

New pics...
These are the turn signal covers and the TRD shift knob
p525433_1.jpg

A couple of close ups of the knob
p525433_2.jpg

p525433_3.jpg

And this is the sunshade and the rears from SupraNicks GB
p525433_4.jpg

And this is a TEMS unit I have, I pulled it out of the junkyard cuz it was in pretty good condition. I have no clue if it works. Just pay shipping and its yours if you want it.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I found a storage unit big enough to work on the car, im just waiting for it to open up so I can start working on it. Thats all for now. The only parts I'm waiting on are the Fidanza Cam Gears from born2drvs GB.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Ok. So the Supra has been moved from my former work place to where my dad works. I've been given the go ahead to work on it in the parking lot. So I'm going to take the GE and W58 out tomorrow. I've decided not to take off the R154 and put the W58 on. So it'll just sit there and not go anywhere because I dont have an R154 driveshaft. So pics of the engine removal tomorrow. I went over there earlier before the sun went down and took off the exhaust manifold, the a/c lines, took out the ECU, and disconnected the engine harness from the dash harness.

In case you missed it in all that garble, I need an R154 driveshaft for pretty cheap. No money from no job.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Supramania te11 m3 h0w 2 spnd mai m0neyzs!

I have $1k coming in from my tax return. I'm thinking of getting the JT70 turbo from Jeff at notrice.com for $1500, that will take a couple of months. I'm getting money in April also. So if I got the turbo i'd be able to get it in April. Or I can get rims. The Ruff Racing R280s for about $900.
ruff-racing-r280b-sm.jpg

But I don't have a lowered suspension so it would look a little funny. Or maybe I could buy the rest of the body kit. Anyway, take a look at my mod list and let me know what I should buy. Lol.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Lol, maybe. I'm still thinking. Rims are nice but upgrades are nicer. Maybe I'll get the new limited Apex-i AVC-R boost controller and the aeromotive a1000 fuel pump. I dont know. HALP!!!11!

Anyway, I removed the engine today like I said I was.
BEFORE:
2536623_22_full.jpg

AFTER:
2536623_50_full.jpg

I thought I'd swap in the turbo engine tomorrow but I'm a little more exhausted than I thought I would be. I finished in 3 hours with no help and stopping to take a bunch of pictures of the engine coming out. Maybe I will later on in the day. I don't know yet.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Keep lookin for one, I was very lucky to get this one.

Anyway, I know what I'm going to buy with my newly found cash. Sorry ViR2, no rims yet. Lol. I'll be buying intercooler piping from driftmotion with the TiAL BOV adapter, a TiAL BOV with the 11 PSI spring, a C's Short Shifter, and a boost controller. Did I make a wise choice?

And then in late April, I'll probably be buying a FFIM.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
CryoSlash said:
dude you work fast. im impressed!

Lol, thanks, I'm impatient.

In other news, NOW i know what I'm going to buy with my 1k. Lol. I'm buying the 2.5" intercooler piping, bomex sideskirts, and a new accodian intake hose, maybe some kind of boost gauge, and 89+ tails.

And in more other news, I'm putting the turbo engine in tomorrow. And I'll try to get it running during the week. I would've done it today but I woke up at 12:30 I could've sworn it was still Friday, lol. I guess thats what having no job does to you. :3d_frown:

I also went to the Home Depot today and bought myself some washers to shim the wastegate. That was possibly the easiest thing I've ever done in my life for a modification, lol. $0.98 and all of a minute and a half to do. (with the engine out of the car, of course)

Wish me luck tomorrow.

Last edited:

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Man, I'm exhausted. I got started at about 11 this morning and went to the storage unit where the engine was being kept, it took about an hour to get it onto the truck, lol. Then everything was ready to be dropped in at about 1, my friend was supposed to come and help but never showed up so it took me til about 5 just to get the engine in the car and bolted in.

I messed a few things up tho on the transmission. I had the jack under the transmission to keep the engine straight, and while I was positioning the engine, the transmission slipped off the jack, snapped the slave cylinder and bent the hard line. So I need those now, I also need an R154 crossmember. So now the engine is in the car and bolted up with the jack holding up the transmission.

Yea it took me awhile but it was my first time putting an engine in any car, lol. Now for a couple of pics.

Rear engine Toyota Tundra?
p544711_1.jpg

Engine going in...
p544711_2.jpg

Engine in and bolted to the mounts (side view)...
p544711_3.jpg

Engine in and bolted to the mounts (front view)...
p544711_4.jpg

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So I spent all of today getting everything hooked up and cleaning the rats nest of wires where the battery should be. I didn't realize getting the harness thru the firewall was that difficult. :icon_evil I didn't really have any problems connecting anything except for the fuel feed. That bolt was torqued to like 666 ft/lbs because it was a demon bolt. I had trouble getting it loose with a breaker bar, and i'm not a small guy. Anyway, I got the waterpump pulley and fan clutch on, along with the radiator, I changed the oil, etc... Anyway I finally got the damn fuel feed bolt at around 6 and everything done, and I went to start the car for the first time, it cranked for about a second and then the battery died. But since it was my first time ever putting an engine in the car and hooking everything up, it was quite possibly the best sound i've ever heard. Lol. Anyway, the battery is on the charger so I'll go back in the morning and try to get it started.

EDIT - just went back with a semi charged battery and, IT RUNS! It only ran for about 10 seconds. It doesn't have the intercooler hooked up or the accordian hose, which would explain why it only ran for that long. I'm amazed that it ran the first time. Just wanted to thank Devin again for the engine. Video to come tomorrow afternoon. It's surprisingly not that loud for only half a down pipe for an exhaust. :evil2:

Last edited:

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Here are a few pics of the engine cleaned up a little and a short video of it kinda running kinda stuttering. No leaks, fuel pressure is good, battery is charging good, and no oil leaks.

p546452_1.jpg

p546452_2.jpg

Yes I know it has a vacuum leak, lol, that contributes to why its running so rough.:icon_bigg

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
debrucer said:
did you go with the clutchmasters stage 3 setup? I bought that and was surprised that it looked almost identical to the stock setup I got earlier from Beck/Arnley. I was expecting something else, I guess. It is a different color, and has different markings on it; but, visually, looks very much the same. Anyway, if you went that way and have it installed, tell me about it.

Thanks!

Not yet, but unless someone comes up with a good reason not to, i will eventually run it. All the mods on my vBPicGallery are reminders to myself to remember what I want, lol. It took me a long time to decide on certain set-ups and I dont want to have to go thru deciding again lol. If you end up running the clutch before I do let me know how it is, like engagement and such. Or maybe someone else who is using it can toss some info in here.

Anyway, the registration for my car is almost up and I was thinking of getting a vanity plate. I had 3 things in mind but one wont be applicable until the car is finished.

BHG LOL
2JZ ETR (the not applicable one, obviously lol)
DCRU SUP

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So, I went and put some coolant in there yesterday. The battery is completely dead so I have to charge it for a few hours to be able to start it. I ordered the accordian hose from HPF last night. Around the 20th, I'll be ordering the IC piping from driftmotion along with the TiAL BOV adapter. And then a TiAL BOV from HPF.

I'd say within 6 months the accordian hose will be for sale and so will the intercooler piping, lol.

A problem that I'm having now, is that whenever I turn my lights on, the climate control lights turn off. I was messing with the headlight switch on the steering column, I found that the lights turn back on for a split second, but they do turn on. Is it possible that the switch could be the problem? It still turns the headlights on, turns the brights on, turns the turn signals on, the gauge lights turn on when they should, etc.

And a couple more videos. Dont mind the guy sticking his hands near the turbo, he's a Mustang guy. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
dcrusupra said:

A problem that I'm having now, is that whenever I turn my lights on, the climate control lights turn off. I was messing with the headlight switch on the steering column, I found that the lights turn back on for a split second, but they do turn on. Is it possible that the switch could be the problem? It still turns the headlights on, turns the brights on, turns the turn signals on, the gauge lights turn on when they should, etc.

I had that problem with mine when I had my old gauge cluster in, you probably just missed a plug or something, I think that was all that was wrong with mine.