Cars you'd one day like to mod...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I refuse to buy almost anything new, car wise, and reading through some of the threads on here has made me think back to my old Ford days and want one again!

But then, i want a few cars, and i'd really, really like to own them, but of course - although some would stay standard, there are those that are just begging to be subtly modified, the proper way.

These are the four that made the shortlist:

1980 - 1982 Ford Cortina 2-door

Engine: 4.0 litre EFi Straight 6 from an Australian EA Ford Falcon

Transmission: BTR 95LE 4-speed Automatic from an EA Ford Falcon / 4R55E from a Ford Explorer

Suspension: Coilovers, limited slip diff & uprated brakes, of course..

3179609399_276572578e_z.jpg

Keep it looking standard, barring the Australian 'power bulge' bonnet, scare a few locals ;)

1981 - 1986 Ford Capri

Engine: 4.6 litre Ford Modular V8 (2v SOHC) from a Rover 75/MG ZT

Transmission: 4R70W 4-speed Automatic from a Lincoln/Ford/Mercury

Suspension: Uprated leaf springs & lowering blocks on the rear, front coilovers, larger brakes, spray in black, add original vinyl 'S' decals, subtle V8 badge on the rear, retrimmed interior in black leather & alcantara, 16" Ford RS 7-spoke alloys...

*starts drooling*

3739293681_9629111ee1.jpg

1989-1992 Toyota Supra N/A

Engine: 4.0 litre 1UZ-FE V8 from an LS400 (UCF10), Independant throttle bodies, High lift & longer duration cams, forged rods, forged pistons, AEM Engine Management, Mocal Oil Cooler, Koyo Radiator. Custom stainless exhaust system.

Transmission: A341E from an LS400 (UCF10), IPT Torque Converter w/2200rpm stall, IPT Valve Body, Raybestos Blue Clutch plates, Mocal Oil Cooler & Electric Fan, PCS Transmission Controller.

Drivetrain: Jawsgear single piece alloy propshaft, 8.5" JZA80 Rear Differential (3.5:1) & Diff Cooler.

Keep it looking nearly stock, barring some bigger wheels and some 285 wide rubber (for laying down the power).

1967 - 1970 Hillman Imp Californian

Engine: 998cc Coventry Climax FWMA 8-valve SOHC engine (in the 60's!), Balanced Bottom End, Ported & Polished Head w/Unleaded Compatible Valve Seats, Independant Throttle Bodies, Reg Patten Sport Camshaft (8.6mm lift, 270' duration), Reg Patten Cam Sprocket, Megasquirt Engine Management w/Vacuum Advance Distributor

Transmission: Jack Knight Close-ratio 5-speed Manual Dogbox w/Limited Slip Diff

Brakes: Hillman Sport Imp Brake Master Cylinder w/Vacuum Assist, Reg Patten Front Disc Brake Conversion

Suspension: SPAX Rate Adjustable Dampers & Monte-Carlo -30mm Springs

Wheels: 13" Minilites

800px-Singer_Chamois_Coupe_license_plate_1967.jpg

Keep it looking totally standard on the outside and scare the passengers, and anyone that thinks they can 'have a go' in a traffic light grand prix :D

You can tell i've been thinking about the Supra for some time - i have plans for my blue '90 spec :D

So - how about you guys? What's been rattling around in your brain? :)

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
My next project car will be a 1972 240z. I saw the car below in person yesterday at Cars and Coffee. It is cleeeeeeeeaaaan!

japanese_nostalgic_car_magazine=1.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Also a Z car fan but those that have seen the pics know I've been there done that and had tragic consequences :(

I'd like a Veyron and perform that Ultra Rare "IJ's ass in the seat" Mod so I could just drive it :D

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
IJ.;1664652 said:
I'd like a Veyron and preform that Ultra Rare "IJ's ass in the seat" Mod so I could just drive it :D

In that case, i'd like to do the same type of mod in my all time favorite Ferrari: F40

images

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Id like an old Ford to mod too (other than the '53 Merc I've already got), but it might be a bit older than you're talking. Id really like a Model A, and do a nice simple hot rod, not like the super expensive show custom ones with 200 tons of chrome, but like a nice traditional post war rod.

As far as engine, I might go with a flathead v8, or if I'm feeling creative a chevy I6, 250 or 292. No forced induction on the flathead, but maybe a turbo on the I6, or maybe NA with triple webbers. Another engine option I might consider would be a Cadillac 472 or 500, like in the old Fleetwood I used to own.

Another car id like to mod would be a Fiero, one of the newer ones. No body swaps or anything, I think Fieros can look really cool on their own. Not sure what id do to it, but from what I hear the mechanicals arnt up to par with the looks or the mid engined layout.

I can't think of anything else right now.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yongai27

Aug 23, 2010
Irvine
rodel;1664651 said:
My next project car will be a 1972 240z. I saw the car below in person yesterday at Cars and Coffee. It is cleeeeeeeeaaaan!

do u go to the cars and coffee by irvine spectrum =O? I live by there! I wanna see ur car LOL. was going to go yesterday, but had sum stuff to do...................when are you going again?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rodel;1664651 said:

What are you kidding me man? Or did someone let my little project slip to ya, LOL. I got a 74 with next to nothing on the OD, no motor and plans to drop my old built 7m into it. Love this particular nissan. TBH the only Nissan I really like the shape of....alot.

Good taste though man.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
yongai27;1664678 said:
do u go to the cars and coffee by irvine spectrum =O? I live by there! I wanna see ur car LOL. was going to go yesterday, but had sum stuff to do...................when are you going again?

I go to Cars and Coffee Irvine once in a while. I drove the Supra there yesterday, but didn't park it in the show lot. I might go this coming Saturday, but I doubt I'll drive the Supra.

I won't be driving the Supra to Toyotafest for a while. My car is going under construction in preparation for the May 14 Toyotafest. You could see my car there, along with many other Supras!

http://www.toyotaclub.org/Toyotafest/toyotafest.htm

Back on topic: Here's another project car that I'd like: 65 Daytona replica
http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0903kc_superformance_1965_shelby_daytona_cobra/index.html
p1664745_1.jpg

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rodel;1664745 said:
I go to Cars and Coffee Irvine once in a while. I drove the Supra there yesterday, but didn't park it in the show lot. I might go this coming Saturday, but I doubt I'll drive the Supra.

I won't be driving the Supra to Toyotafest for a while. My car is going under construction in preparation for the May 14 Toyotafest. You could see my car there, along with many other Supras!

http://www.toyotaclub.org/Toyotafest/toyotafest.htm

I always think your car looks like pure sex from what I've seen of it man. Be interesting to see what you are further doing.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
[/COLOR]
Flateric;1664747 said:
I always think your car looks like pure sex from what I've seen of it man. Be interesting to see what you are further doing.
Thanks, man! I'm taking a huge risk for the next modification and very nervous about it. Stay tuned!

Flateric;1664742 said:
What are you kidding me man? Or did someone let my little project slip to ya, LOL. I got a 74 with next to nothing on the OD, no motor and plans to drop my old built 7m into it. Love this particular nissan. TBH the only Nissan I really like the shape of....alot.

Good taste though man.

I regret to say, but I think the 240z is sexier than the MKIII. It looks timeless. Definitely a classic car.

p1664753_1.jpg

p1664753_2.jpg

p1664753_3.jpg

p1664753_4.jpg

p1664753_5.jpg

p1664753_6.jpg

p1664753_7.jpg

p1664753_8.jpg

p1664753_9.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Different era and none of those are stock :p

They do have their issues though, but they are probably the only affordable car with the classic car shape (jaguar, vette, 2000GT, etc)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
God, those 240's are all absolutely gorgeous. I'd LOVE to build one some day. I'd say they are even prettier than the mk3 for sure. And I have an unhealthy obsession with how good a mk3 can look...