Career thread!

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
well im trying to figure out what to do with my life before i go back up north to the middle of nowhere to do a job i hate for hardly any money, so i decided id ask what my fellow supra nuts careers are.

so list off what you do for a living, what education you have, and what you do at work.

any advice is welcome to! :icon_bigg

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
-Flight Systems Engineer for Ground Data Systems at JPL/NASA
-HIDPLANET LLC Owner and Operator
-Partner in a Software Corporation
-Starting a possible import/export corp

Education - BA in Electronics Engineering & Robotics

I cant tell you what I do at work

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Technical Representative for a chemical company with a B.S. and M.S. in what is basically applied chemistry. I work with my customers to find out what their needs are, develop products to fit those needs, work with our plants for scale up/production and QC, provide on-site support for all of the products they buy from us, and provide any additional technical support they might need.

...in a nutshell. ;)

Needless to say there's lots of travel, which was a much better thing before wife/kids...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm a construction worker. I do remodeling and vinyl siding.
I have a degree in Drafting, but can't sit at a desk.
That is all..............good luck.

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
I drives dUmp truck

p473441_1.jpg

I has a hi shewl edumacation

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Software Quality Assurance manager. Basically I run the department that is responsible for testing all the development projects at a large multimedia firm.

I don't exactly have much in the way of formal education. Note that if I did, I would have been in this position probably 10 years earlier in my life. I've graduated high school, and taken several seminars since, 3-5 day things on project management, quality assurance, team building, user interface design, etc.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
I work in a semiconductor fab (we make microchips for other companies). I work in a failure analysis lab running a scanning electron microscope looking at microchips at up to 150k magnification. Oh yeah and high school educated like kwnate!

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Nate: how do you like driving truck? i only have mah hye skewl too and wouldnt mind driving a truck or heavy equipment to make some more money compared to the stupid crappy ultrasound job i have now.

Grim: you should hire me. :) i think im too dumb / uneducated to be anything else but a janitor for your company though... :biglaugh:

Murd: how did you land that job?

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
kwnate said:
No I fail, you happy Richard Marx?

Stanza, I run heavy dirt equipment too, I like that more then the truck driving. I hate sitting in traffic...

yea traffic sucks. i think heavy equipment operating would be kinda fun for a few days, pushin dirt around and all.

Sportriderseattle

Nov 5, 2006
Seattle, WA
www.cardomain.com
I'm currently in transition after a lay off. My past jobs in decending order from current backwards are:
1. Liability claims investigator
2. State Trooper
3. Coast Guard search & rescue smallboat crewman

Education: Associates of Arts & Science, psychology criminal justice.

Advise: have to considered taking a Myers Brigg Personality test? You can free online then it will give you results in four letters and from there you can do a search to see what personality types like yourself have enjoyed their job.

FYI, I'm thinking of becoming a photojournalist / photographer...I know exactly what you mean by not liking the desk jobs! Good luck in your search!!!!!!

mattgo

Oct 15, 2006
Anacortes, WA
I might go crabbing up in Alaska at the Bering Sea, a lot of my cousins are doing it and they make good paychecks. Might be a good job for you, lot of activity involved. If you ever watch the "Worlds Deadliest Cath" that's pretty much what they do except in dragger ships.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Sportrider: pretty interesting resume!

Mg89: i think id like crab fishing and id certainly like the money, but im not a big ocean person. i love fishing but being in the middle of nowhere on a crab boat would make me uneasy.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Selling oranges is great I'm sure, but have you ever thought about getting a sqeegy and a water bottle too. You'd make a killing. If they didn't want oranges, you could clean their windshield. Maybe have some roses for sale also. You'd have your own little WalMart at the freeway exit................chaching

Excavators do it in the dirt...................:naughty:

kevinbonds

Dec 25, 2006
Florida
I run a factory that manufactures mirrors for hotels, and home builders. Great job, lotsa responsibility, Great pay/ Degree in Manufacturing From Ohio State.