Car Wont Start

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
Well, it sounds fuel related.

My problem ended up being the ABS fuse not being plugged in all the way. I plugged it in and reset the ECU. I'm not pulling any codes but it won't start because my car is now out of gas, not that it had much to begin with. :D

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
jdub;992165 said:
Are your ECU grounds secured to the intake manifold?
Could be that, I noticed it on another thread that the OP had conected the grounds that were supposed to go to the intake manifold, connected to the starter. It wouldn't be the first time:)

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
The two seperate ground wires, thin gauge that go to the intake are on it, but I'll check to make sure they are making good contact.

Large gauge black wire driect from the battery negative/ground is what I have going to the starter.

I also added two new grounds heavy gauge wire on either side of the block to chasis.

Thanks

Digilog

Mar 3, 2008
Calgary
Ok well we are really sure its fuel now.

We took off the intake and poured in some gas while I tried to start and it ran for a few seconds.

When we short pins Fp and +B we can hear the fuel pump, but the fuel pump relay makes a buzzing noise, we popped the the cover and the relay is not closing.

So what would keep the relay from closing and/or injectors from firing?

Oh we did a comp test and got 180psi.

Thanks

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
you would think the relay is bad, I've never heard one buzz like that, but I opened the relay and manually closed the connection but still nothing.

Perhaps there is a way to jump the connection? I heard the fuel pump come on, I'm not sure the function of that relay exactly with the resistor next to it.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You actually opened the relay just to complete the circuit? Lmao.

Ponder this: If the fuel pump runs when jumped to B+ might that mean the relay problem is unrelated to why the engine won't start?

As for relay buzzing here's a hint: Instead of using B+ try jumping FP to battery positive. Should be the same thing right? Try it with and without the key on....

Kingsoup

Apr 8, 2005
Calgary
Its a strange thing with that relay, when we start it clicks just once and then goes open! I opened the relay because we had bad relays on my Mitsu and couldn't tell until opening them up.

I'll try jumping it manually to battery positive, I can hear the pump whirring although I suppose that doesn't prove it has fuel pressure.

Its so confusing, I just can't tell if the injectors are pulsing or not, but the plugs get wet even with the cold start unplugged, that that means the injectors are firing right?

Damn this car, never had this much problem with a N/A motor.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
AJ'S 88NA;995485 said:
If the plugs are wet then you are getting fuel I would say.

Which means he is getting the IGF signal also. Unless he has really bad wires and plugs, or the firing order is wrong, he has already been told what is wrong.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
I hit the key on my newly installed JDM 7M for the first time tonite. It would also turn over but not start. It would every once in awhile fire up for a second then die. I know I have my cam and cranks right. My fuel pump is working. There was on plug I could not find a home for in the glove box. I have the ECU plugged in then there is a smaller plug that connects to a line coming from the top of the dash. Anyone remember where this one goes? I swear I could not see a spot for it.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
AW11inVa;996514 said:
I hit the key on my newly installed JDM 7M for the first time tonite. It would also turn over but not start. It would every once in awhile fire up for a second then die. I know I have my cam and cranks right. My fuel pump is working. There was on plug I could not find a home for in the glove box. I have the ECU plugged in then there is a smaller plug that connects to a line coming from the top of the dash. Anyone remember where this one goes? I swear I could not see a spot for it.

ABS perhaps?

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
So last night I checked my timing and everything appears to be lined up properly. My fuel pump is working. I am not getting any codes. I am going cross eyed trying to read the factory manual LOL. I think it is real close to starting. It will turn over and sometimes run for a second then die. hmmmmmmm what could it be!?

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
AW11inVa;998471 said:
So last night I checked my timing and everything appears to be lined up properly. My fuel pump is working. I am not getting any codes. I am going cross eyed trying to read the factory manual LOL. I think it is real close to starting. It will turn over and sometimes run for a second then die. hmmmmmmm what could it be!?

If that's the case, check you oil pressure gauge, where it plugs into the harness. Make sure it's hooked up. The same thing that would cause this is a pressure bleed on the air intake, so make sure everything is nice and tight. Lastly, check to make sure you didn't possibly get a coolant line and a fuel line mixed up. (I've seen it happen)