Car starting issue

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
Hello everyone. I've been racking my brain for a while now. Car has been running fine until one day it just won't start. I have found a work around but the shop that inspect my car told me to fix the issue because the car is starting without pushing in the clutch. I have spent countless hours doing research and tried different thing before posting this question. I currently removed the starter relay and jumped the terminal. (Please see pic below) That's the only way it would start.
What I've done:
1. Replaced starter relay.
2. Replaced clutch switch.
3. Did a starter relay mod. (Not sure if that helped)
4. Battery on tender so it's fully charged.
5. Reset factory alarm following instructions from one of the thread on this forum.
6. Disconnected the fuse for aftermarket alarm.

I bought this car in 2002 and it came with an aftermarket alarm. Factory alarm also functioning because it went off on me several times when I disarmed the after market alarm system. Never had any problem until now. Right now I'm trying to disconnect the factory alarm. I have follow TSRM diagram for location of the factory unit. I found cruise control computer, cruise control main relay but I don't see the factory alarm computer. Is the factory alarm not located beside the cruise control unit? By the way, I place my finger on the starter relay while turning the key and pressing in the clutch, the relay does not click at all. I pulled the starter relay out and applied voltage to test and both of the relays, new and old unit, click when I applied 12V to two terminals.

Any one with similar issue or any idea of what is wrong, please chime in. I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Starter relay jumped. The car starts fine with these connections but it won't pass Virginia state inspection.
Starter relay.jpg

Under dash beside Cruise control. Don't see factory alarm.
Under Dash.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's up and to the right in the last pic. Next to the heater box. It's a black box that says theft deterrent on it. Unplug it and ground the Orange with blue strip wire. Or blue with orange. One or the other.

Also you could check to make sure your getting the 12v signal at the starter relay from the ign switch. And also check to make sure the relay is getting a good ground.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
Thank you hvyman. Fount it. It's above the steering column. Had to tilt my head the right way. Don't I feel dumb. Will try grounding it tomorrow and update the result.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
3p141592654;2050285 said:
Time to do a voltage drop test. Be sure to check the voltage drop across the ignition switch. Also, check the starter motor copper contacts.

Thank you. Was looking at TSRM for ignition switch. Going to test that today also.

nhum

Consequence
Aug 25, 2005
VA
I would like to thank everyone who read this thread and provided me with a guideline. The problem is solved after factory alarm was disconnected and blue/orange wire was grounded.