Car is Cranking but won't run

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
Ok so after i put on the alternator, I push started my car down to the shop and dropped it off for what i thought was a bad starter but after 2 days of waiting i went down to the shop to pick up the car and they told me that the starter was fine it was the starter relay that was fried and they bypassed the factory starter relay with a aftermarket starter relay. I started it up it was slow crank on start up, it started 2 times later in the day then it stopped all it does it just crank but no turn over i called the shop and told them what happened and they said getting car off the ramps the car's engine flooded they told me they pressed the gas petal down all the way and the car started but black smoke came out.....

Thanks for your help.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
After writing a suggestion, I read your past threads. Perhaps you should finish your other threads. It seems you have other issues with your car as well and are running on a really tight budget. You lost me after the alternator replacement thread.. that you never finished... seems you thought the starter was dead AFTER replacing the alternator. Should have continued in that thread...

or... failing that... perhaps you should have stayed in the "7MGTE With a list of problems :( " thread..

The Supra gods in this forum can help you far far better if they understand the car as much as possible.

(and as a suggestion... read your posts before hitting the Submit button to see if it makes sense to you)

... it took me 25 minutes to write this post in a manner that I hope doesnt make me sound like a dick...

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
Ok, I see what your talking about Grandavi, i did look at my whole post and didnt realize that this could of gone in 7mgte with a list of problems thread. @Jetlock sorry about the misuse of that word.. Thanks on both for pointing that out to me. Also yes i'm on a tight budget saved all i can, hoping i can get these problems fixed before i get the tax return and use it to get the engine worked on to get it too 450hp.

So far no codes its clean, Took off the battery last night and put it back on after 20 mins still nothing. I'm going out to the car with some spare spark plugs, plugging them in and see if they get spark, then take off the fuel line and see if the fuel pump is sending any fuel.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What I meant is that it could be a whole raft of things so is difficult to diagnose online. I am by far no expert and I know what it feels like to be hit with Supra gremlins. Most of my advice comes from personal experience. I would guess if the vehicle flooded.. Your fuel pump is okay. Black smoke when running is from too much fuel (normally) and expected after a flooded engine.

These cars are difficult in a tight budget if you are not very good mechanically skill wise. Hopefully someone chimes in, but it helps to know the car history up to the point of failure.

First step is definitely diagnosis (codes, spark, fuel).
I wouldn't worry about power until you have a stable car. You sound like you want basic performance upgrades, but that isn't something you need if it doesn't start.

Because you had problems from day one, I would ask if anyone knows of a good shop in your area that is very familiar with your car, or ideally if someone on the forums lives near you and wouldn't mind coming to see you car and see what they think.

Good luck, just don't get too impatient with the car.

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
*Update* Went to the engine bay and started to remove the spark plugs out from the valley and the very 1st one i pull out to look at was fouled badly so went ahead and removed #2 and #3 and they were the same but when i got to #4 i couldn't get it out left or right it will loosen up just a little but get tight again.. right now i stopped on removing the #4 spark plug.

*Update got the #4 plug out and it was covered in gas and oil, but no metal shavings now to see if the car will have spark.

Last edited:

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
The car started, then i went to a mechanic shop to see what problem is and next thing you know it didn't start, check the spark (No spark) but we are getting fuel (crap load) the owner of the shop couldn't figure it out and left for the day.

So i end up getting help and pushed the car half way home and then put it in gear and it started right up and i drove it home but when i got up a hill into my drive way it stalled and now the engine light wont come on but the car will try to start.

Going to check the CPS on the car.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You shouldn't drive the car until its diagnosed correctly and I don't think you want to use that mechanic unless he's free.
You could end up in an accident if the car fails at a bad time.

I'm not the best at diagnosing this kind of issue so I will now out in the hopes that someone else assists.
You know you have fuel, but are you throwing any codes?

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
There are no codes as of right now but, before the battery was unplugged i had 12(RPM Signal CPS or CPS circuit) and 51(Switch Condition signal All AC but TPS Circuit or TPS).

Got up and went to the car turned the key to see if the CEL will come on, which it did and popped the hood to wiggle the cps wires and no fire still. I have to go in a little while but i'll come back to check it out some more.

Last edited:

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
Thats the thing it runs like a new car 1.2k idle and lower, until the engine gets warm but its light misfires.

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
xCxHxRxIxSx;1907300 said:
Here's a link for troubleshooting the ignition system: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&P=3

Link for tps troubleshooting: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Just follow the instructions and test all of the components.

Since code 12 also includes the starter circuit and you have had start up issues, I would inspect the starting system too. Look for bad connections corroded wires etc.
\
The mechanic put in a aftermarket starter relay, What i'm looking at then is TPS or the CPS i would think but if not then i'll follow the TSRM

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Valve covers and cylinder head cover number 3 leaking oil into the chamber and the pickup isn't giving you a good signal. I wonder what you need to do to fix it....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nick M;1907310 said:
Valve covers and cylinder head cover number 3 leaking oil into the chamber and the pickup isn't giving you a good signal. I wonder what you need to do to fix it....

I know I know I know...

DRAIN ALL OF THE OIL FROM THE ENGINE so it doesn't get wet!!! :runaway: <sarc>

Mk3Shogun

Feb 8, 2012
Tx
And see this is why this i love this forum, knowing when i pushed the car it does have a spark when it started up and i could drove it home. Going to check the MAF plug/wires

Nick might of hit it on the head when he said that the valve covers and cylinder head cover were leaking, when i picked it up from the last owner he did say the valve cover were (Leaking) but at that time it was starting no problem but i did see a can of PB blaster used to help start engines... well looks like i'm going to spending my saved money to mod to fix lol worth having a car i can drive to work then a sitting one.

.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwWddTEn7OY&feature=youtu.be I tapped the MAF Seeing if it will stall it did not but i will check the wires.

*Update* Looking at the wire he hooked up to bypass the factory starter relay and i found this wire[1].jpg, today just keeps on getting better and bettercut_wire[1].jpgwikre_2[1].jpg

Last edited: