Cant think of anything clever....so its my 89 Supra build.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Aaaaaaand every great ending has a beginning. Mine? Well. Ive wanted one of these cars for a LONG time. 15 years easy. So after various events, various previous project cars......I got one.

And its ugly.....to be honest this whole thing is a little daunting, but the Eclipse GST I had before this had this same neglected look.

The car is a 89 Supra Turbo 5 speed. Car was originally ice blue pearl? Then painted blue and then....black? Front end has something going on.....core support is tweaked....bumper held on by a zip tie and hope.

Interior is well...26 years old and brittle.

Car came from a guy on here....Kevin (shout out!) who was SO kind enough to deliver it to me for the asking price, a little extra, Dying Light on Xbox One and a gallon of sweet tea from MCD's.....awesome guy :p

Plans........gut all of the interior. Salvage what I can. Reuse what I need. Interior will be gutted....two seats and IDK about the dash..its cracked and I dont mind running without one if I can figure out how to mount all I need....or come across a good deal on one.

Body will be last. I will strip as much of the paint off as I can and repaint OEM color. Safelite can put a windshield in for cheap.....need some moldings. Thats last.

Mods? Has a custom exhaust, no cat. Maybe a downpipe? Intake, CX racing (I think) FMIC, SAFC, Timer, and a Lex AFM.......

Motor runs fine. I have to redo some wiring as I cant stand butt connectors, I need to get some hosing for the PCV and ISC. Remove the P/S, A/C (none of which works). Go from there. Plans will evolve as the car does. So heres some to begin with pics. Hate on :)

DSC01000_zpsksnddzhy.jpg

DSC01003_zpsp9cw4iye.jpg

DSC01001_zpscmcfwgkt.jpg

DSC01002_zps3hjf1sit.jpg

DSC01004_zpscxemzcvp.jpg

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
suprahero;2037974 said:
Needs more blue and less black.

Agreed. I don't like the paint scheme at ALL. I rather like the OEM color. Unfortunately paint will probably be last. I will update my progress a little more hopefully today or tomorrow.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
bonylad;2037921 said:

Hell no! When he drove up with that monstrosity I would have poured the sweet tea out onto the yard right in front of him!!
Jokes aside you have your work cut out for you. Any pics of the GST before and after you graced it with your expertise?

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Suprapowaz!(2);2038008 said:
Hell no! When he drove up with that monstrosity I would have poured the sweet tea out onto the yard right in front of him!!
Jokes aside you have your work cut out for you. Any pics of the GST before and after you graced it with your expertise?

Umm I can dig up some. Yeah for the price though :)

Car has plenty of good parts though. 7MGTE that runs (needs starter), R154 trans, and 8" 3.73 LSD diff. :)

Here's the for sale ad for the GST

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse-gst-runs-sell-asap.489397/#post-153495409

and a before pic.....which I don't have many of.........thankfully

0625142016.jpg

How it looked before it was sold.

0117151725.jpg

Last edited:

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Look I know its not everyones cup of tea.....but I like it...and it will GET BETTER.

I started today on a little mini project. Pulled the tails and center panel. Stripped paint, cleaned....etc. Will apply trim paint to it, which is pretty thick stuff and works great.

Meh....little start.

DSC01009_zpsq2ifdvf2.jpg

DSC01010_zpsfzrrhyet.jpg

DSC01012_zpsygln0xxa.jpg

Ready for paint.......almost. Still need to get some goo gone for the trim.

DSC01014_zpscexnvuml.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm sure with a little time, love and elbow grease, it will turn out great. Good luck.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Thank you, its slow going for sure. Weather has been horrible and between work and getting home with no light.......its hard. Currently working on the interior. Will try to post up more updates.

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Nobody cares, but anyhow.

I never planned to actually remove the sound deadener, but turns out the MC had leaked and caused some corrosion and it permeated the sound deadener on the floorboard. So out came the tools.

Look how much fun I am having......

0315151433_zps0yunud4k.jpg

Enlisted my four year old BIG MAN!

0315151403_zpse95g23mt.jpg

As I said....never planned on it, so no special tools....dry ice or anything. Still comes out pretty easy.

0316151236_zpsrasw84dy.jpg

More updates to come............

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Most of the deadener is out. Sorting the harness out. What I will and wont keep. I will post up some pics of where I am currently :)

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
akito;2043133 said:
You need a new dash!

Not gonna run a dash. Dash support bar, mounts for srs and pcm and cluster. Inside will be painted or lined, harness wrapped and tucked. IDC about noise....harshness or vibrations from the delrin motor mounts. Weekend toy.

:)

bonylad

....beavis
Jun 1, 2014
Newport, NC
Some pics.

Well this is a pic of the passenger side firewall with all the stuff pulled out.
I dont intend to run HVAC, or anything. The dash support bar will be pulled out
and painted and reinstalled with the harness mounted and wrapped up. Bare
minimum. The interior was trash anyhow and I want to have fun with this car, not
worry about how much somebody is gonna gouge me for a trim panel I scratched and
of course luck would have it....its rare. So forget that. IF the interior was
nice I woulda kept it.

0321151540_zpswine91xe.jpg

Pic of the little container I use to fill up with the parts and pieces....bottom
was filled with sound deadener.....very heavy.

0321151350_zpsdfsipuqo.jpg

Took apart the cluster, cleaned it up. Removed the clock and vents.

0321151134_zpssdczqb8l.jpg

Started to pull the front end down to see what I could figure out.
Drivers side front frame rail is bend towards the passenger side.

0325151735_zpsssjoarug.jpg

Upper core support is getting replaced, scored one off here from a nice guy.

0325151736_zpsjqkblppu.jpg

Bottom is a little tweaked, but Im not gonna replace that....at lease I hadnt
planned on it.

Me and my boy pulled the rest of the front off. Stopped for a thumbs up.

0325151805_zpso9cc6jfy.jpg

Started to pull some things off the motor. No P/S or A/C so off it comes. In this
pic I pulled the A/C comp and lines and tensioner. No condenser.......toss it!

My son has this fake smile.....IDK why but he looks like hes straining lol.

0325151754_zpsqowfki82.jpg

Motor shots.......

0325151805a_zpsybs7huex.jpg

0325151928_zpsgklmbg38.jpg

It runs, needs a starter which I picked up, disassembled...cleaned and bench tested. Also need lines for the ISC and PCV. Motor is a afterthought at this point. IC piping needs redoing.

Just an update :) Hate on!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Not gonna run hvac?...

It's really nice to defog the windshield in a jam...

In my 240 I deleted a/c by gutting that section and sealing the extra holes... rainy track days were always my favorite