Can Supras Turn?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
shaeff said:
hey tim, i was keeping you in mind, actually. i read through quite a few of your posts here on SM, and i'm impressed to say the least. your bro's car sounds like quite the project! if i remember correctly, you're not too far from me, and when i get to that point, i could bring the car to you, if that would make things easier. ;)

Awesome, Shaeff, good to hear. I'm not too far, I'm a little north of Philly. But either way, we could definitely put something awesome together.

Tim

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
staticpat said:
Wow I didn't expect the "needs windshield replaced" to be that bad. Does anyone make Lexan replacements? Though an NA engine would only be $600, that shell may be too much work.

I need to work a budget for my next car, and see what I can afford. A 1jz swap would be fun, but I'd rather spend my $$ on suspension and safety. Though I could learn to handle the NA first and go 1JZ down the road.

I've got my eye on a race prepped turbo rx-7. If that doesn't work I'll probably opt for a supra.

meh who needs a windshield :D are they required for rally?

I've gotten enough money outta the car that i can let it go cheap. If someone doesnt get it by christmas, it's prolly getting scrapped

Ok, back to topic: If you want your supra to handle, step one is replace those blown struts. Before you look at any of the rest of this shit like swaybars and alignment adjustments, fix the broken shit. If you go putting aftermarket suspension shit on your car with blown struts, take care to race at the autox and not on backroads. people bash these cars for handling like tanks, but thats because they'll drop 5 grand into the motor and try to make their shit handle on blown struts, well no-fucking-wonder your car plows into corners.
Don't even have to get coilovers or performance struts; just get a decent set of shocks and go for a drive.
No, your car will not handle like it's on rails, but it will be a LOT better, not to mention safer. People wonder why their supra understeers so much, until that day when they find themselves going backwards around a turn wondering why it oversteered and there's this little imp on their shoulder whispering "hey, didn't you ever wonder why the car felt like you were riding on waves when u went over little dips in the road?"

I almost died cuz i decided that the blown shocks weren't that big a deal since i had other suspension shit. 1080 degrees and a ditch later, i decided its time for shocks

Last edited by a moderator:

carfreak987

Oct 25, 2010
Indiana
darkspeed;803451 said:
eliminate some of that weight in the front by weight reduction or relocation (hatch mount the battery, etc).

who needs A/C? that's a good 40 lbs of dead weight.

I guess you only need A/C if you have a date afterward :) I agree that reducing the front weight is the way to go. I would have never imagined the difference that this can make, but it really does. Good luck on the mods.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Isn't this the third or fourth thread you've dug up from beyond the GRAVE Carl? :p

Back on topic though, give my car a good set of brakes and some better cooling, and I'm pretty sure I'd be somewhat competitive on a road course once I got used to the track. :)

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
Not to revive this jurassic aged thread, but i was super surprised at how well the mk3 handles after i added Eibach springs, KYB GR2 struts, and egay strutbraces.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
87mk111;1633435 said:
Not to revive this jurassic aged thread, but i was super surprised at how well the mk3 handles after i added Eibach springs, KYB GR2 struts, and egay strutbraces.

You have to take into account that it has a very sophisticated suspension layout, this was the primary reason I bought one way back!

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
87mk111;1633688 said:
Oh, definately, I barely have any body roll anymore.

If I stopped eating all this pizza and beer I'd barely have any body roll, too!

To share a bit of MkIV turning news with my MkIII brothers, take note of the recent win by Curtis aka MyKarIsVicious in the Super Street Castrol Syntec Top Car challenge

p1633799_1.jpg

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
87mk111;1633435 said:

Take into consideration that the difference you feel is from the Eibachs and new struts ONLY. Those strut braces do absolutely nothing on these cars. I believe it was IJ. that aptly named them Placebo Bars.

87mk111

Metal Head
Sep 29, 2009
akron/canton, ohio
shaeff;1633950 said:
Take into consideration that the difference you feel is from the Eibachs and new struts ONLY. Those strut braces do absolutely nothing on these cars. I believe it was IJ. that aptly named them Placebo Bars.

Lol I know what u mean. I'll probabbly take the front off, it just gets in the way. But all my Honda budioes think it's Jay Dee Emm tight yo.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Supras CAN handle and there are several of us on here who have done it. Coilovers and big brakes are on the top of the list to begin with if you want it to actually be competitive handling-wise with more modern vehicles.

The spring and shock combo is fine for some weekend fun, but competitively will get you no where

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
staticpat;803534 said:
How light can you get one of these?

Keep in mind I will be rallycrossing, so my competition won't be miatas. It will be mostly 80s RWD cars. Though if I spend some time on supracharged.com, a 4wd conversion could be in my future. Wishful thinking :D.

Toyota managed to get the weight down to 1340kg (2954lbs), for the Group A Supra. http://www.turbosupras.com/pages/pages/specifications/MA70GA/ma70ga-chassis.htm
http://www.turbosupras.com/images/Group A/Group A Interior 7.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Grimsta;1639294 said:
Supras CAN handle and there are several of us on here who have done it. Coilovers and big brakes are on the top of the list to begin with if you want it to actually be competitive handling-wise with more modern vehicles.

The spring and shock combo is fine for some weekend fun, but competitively will get you no where

Good sway bars should be #1 on the list for anyone trying to make an A70 chassis turn.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
IJ.;1639576 said:
Good sway bars should be #1 on the list for anyone trying to make an A70 chassis turn.

Agreed - #1 needed upgrade for these suspensions. The MKIII is a very heavy car. Remember that this car was designed as a personal sport/luxury vehicle to showcase Toyota's technology, not as a pure sports car.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
When I first got mine I did ALL the standard stuff i.e: Wheels/tires/shocks/springs/alignment.....

TERRIFIED me to drive it hard on high speed bends it had so much roll...

It wasn't until I contacted Whiteline and sent them some stock Bars to use as patterns that it became the awesome .95G sustained handling Monster it was :D

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
IJ.;1639586 said:
When I first got mine I did ALL the standard stuff i.e: Wheels/tires/shocks/springs/alignment.....

TERRIFIED me to drive it hard on high speed bends it had so much roll...

It wasn't until I contacted Whiteline and sent them some stock Bars to use as patterns that it became the awesome .95G sustained handling Monster it was :D

you crazy phuck. hahaha :D