Can Supras Turn?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The reason I brought all this up is because I just got my 2nd gen rx-7 a few months ago and I started auto-xing it. That really opens your eyes to how fat the supra is.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, the MKIII will push, but I tend to hit the brakes in the corner to transfer weight.. once the ass went out it would hook violently throwing the car the other way...

Swaybars where the single best upgrade I've done to the manners of the car. I haven't even gone after bushings or a good set of coilovers yet and it's already fun to chuck around a corner...

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
At my local Auto-X last year, this one Miata with stock engine but full-on suspension and soft-compound tires killed every single other car in the field by about 2 seconds, including a couple of high-HP Mk4's, etc. He took me for a ride in it. Yeah, it didn't accelerate fast, but once he hit a good speed, he could turn so hard without braking, it was insane. I was genuinely afraid as we approached the first corner, I though we would surely spin out or flip over. It's quite the go-kart!

Still, the mk3 is a unique gutsy car, and I will still race mine to the best of it's ability. :)

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
staticpat said:
I was waiting for you to chime in, I was really looking forward to seeing you run this season. Wanna swap cars?

As for the celica all-trac: If I could sell the supra for what its worth I could easily buy a car built for rally. I'd really like to run an rx-7 though personally. My quandry is that selling the supra is difficult, and I already have a lot into it already.
sure, i'll swap.....mine needs a new headgasket btw :)

staticpat said:
The reason I brought all this up is because I just got my 2nd gen rx-7 a few months ago and I started auto-xing it. That really opens your eyes to how fat the supra is.
Wanna buy my first gen rx-7?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
As far as lateral acceleration goes, it's all based on the tires. And also the numbers quoted, at least the higher ones might be instantaneous acceleration rather than the numbers that most people are familiar with as average around a skidpad. So a car that has been quoted to be able to pull 0.9g's could see much higher accelerations for split seconds when racing. Take a look at acceleration data from a data acquisition system sometime and you will see how all over the place it is.

For that Miata, how does he plan on generating enough heat to keep 275's happy? Sometimes too big of a tire will hurt performance rather than help it. What I mean is if he can't keep the 275's at the temp they like, but could keep a 245 at the proper temp, the 245 might be able to produce more grip than the 275 on that car. But if he can keep them hot and happy, then that should be pretty awesome.

And supras can turn and they do it very well if they're properly setup. Meaning good springs, good dampers, good sway bars (sometimes) and a good wheel and tire setup. Weight reduction doesn't hurt. But they are heavy cars, so they do need a lot of spring to keep everything happy. So a car with just some random progressive lowering springs is going to handle much differently than something with a good spring/damper setup.

Tim

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i love this thread:

i'm in the process of looking into coilovers, completely undecided on what to get at this point-

i've got NYLON bushings front and rear, solid subframe spacers in the rear, 275/40 and 255/40 falken azenis rt-615's on mkiv rims, and currently looking into sways also. (i HATE my progressively wound eibachs, but love my koni yellows) i've also got a JIC lower arm bar, hatch bar, and i'm getting an xbrace for the hatch, too.

looking to make this thing handle like it's on a rail, and i don't care about comfort. it's not my daily driver, and hopefully will be competative in autox, drag racing, road racing, etc... (pretty much any mess i can get myself into)

and at 3000-3100lbs with me in it. ;)

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Shaeff, I think there's a guy on here who can build dampers to match the car and he's also the SME for suspension. Just in case you need another option.

As for weight, cutting more weight is the goal for my brother's car. It will be getting a cage soon and I want to use the thinner material so I need the car to be under 3000lbs in race trim. So that's the goal, I would like to get it down even more than that, but it's going to start getting expensive to cut more weight. I need to have the car high 2800 in order to stay under 3000 with the cage. So it's going to be fun cutting out everything that isn't needed and replacing what I can with lighter parts.

Tim

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well if I sell the supra, it may be worth getting a beat NA, and throwing all my money into the suspension. I had given up on the idea with my current car because the boost kicks on way too quick and powerful, I'd lose too much traction in turns.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Wiisass said:
Shaeff, I think there's a guy on here who can build dampers to match the car and he's also the SME for suspension. Just in case you need another option.

As for weight, cutting more weight is the goal for my brother's car. It will be getting a cage soon and I want to use the thinner material so I need the car to be under 3000lbs in race trim. So that's the goal, I would like to get it down even more than that, but it's going to start getting expensive to cut more weight. I need to have the car high 2800 in order to stay under 3000 with the cage. So it's going to be fun cutting out everything that isn't needed and replacing what I can with lighter parts.

Tim

hey tim, i was keeping you in mind, actually. i read through quite a few of your posts here on SM, and i'm impressed to say the least. your bro's car sounds like quite the project! if i remember correctly, you're not too far from me, and when i get to that point, i could bring the car to you, if that would make things easier. ;)

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
flight doc89 said:
CT26 is your friend :). Have you ever run your supra at the autox? you need to (or you need to let me run it :) )

Nah, I've only run the rx7. A ball bearing stock trim ct-26 would be worthwhile. But Chris's FD doesn't even get into the boost in the auto-x. It really doesn't seem worth it.

I will see if I still have the supra at the end of the week. If I still have it, then it will become a racecar and no longer be for sale. Its looking like its gone though.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well a turbo supra is out for rally. NASA adjusted displacement puts it over the legal limit for even the highest class. 3L * 1.2 (4 valves) * 1.7 (supercharged) = 6.12L. The legal maximum is 5100cm^3.

Too bad.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
staticpat said:
Well a turbo supra is out for rally. NASA adjusted displacement puts it over the legal limit for even the highest class. 3L * 1.2 (4 valves) * 1.7 (supercharged) = 6.12L. The legal maximum is 5100cm^3.

Too bad.
yeah but 2.5L*1.2*1.7 equals exactly 5.1L. You need to build a 1J for rally :) Imagine the spool with like a GT25 :evil:

EDIT: you wanna rally my roller? kewlness. my brother is supposed to be emailing me pics of it tonight, i'll post them on ARS

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
WTF how did I miss that. Guess I could run NA and go 1JZ when I throw a rod.

Get me some pics of your parts car, I'll trade you a composite headgasket for it.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Wow I didn't expect the "needs windshield replaced" to be that bad. Does anyone make Lexan replacements? Though an NA engine would only be $600, that shell may be too much work.

I need to work a budget for my next car, and see what I can afford. A 1jz swap would be fun, but I'd rather spend my $$ on suspension and safety. Though I could learn to handle the NA first and go 1JZ down the road.

I've got my eye on a race prepped turbo rx-7. If that doesn't work I'll probably opt for a supra.