CALLING ALL Auto's w/ Aftermarket Exhaust

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
I have a problem with one hell of a loud exhaust. I don't care if your NA or Turbo, how loud is your exhaust. I have an auto MK3 with a 2.5" exhaust, no cat, N1 muffler, and one resinator. Do all of you with auto's have as loud of an aftermarket exhaust as me. If quiet, which exhaust? If loud, which exhaust?

Could it be the way the engine is runniing. I can easily smell exhaust/gas fumes while it warms up. The exhaust is a loud, long, drooning noise. Kinda irritating. I want to know what I should replace it with, no I call for your experiences and help.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Supra Sound

Supra Newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Stafford VA
I have a 90 turbo auto with full 3" from the turbo back, no cats, and a gt muffler and mine is quiet at idle but can get kinda loud around 2-3k under load.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Sounds like you have a leak somwhere in the exahust pipes. If not, buy a bigger silencer or add a resonator to it. That should help quite it down a lot.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
Supra Sound said:
I have a 90 turbo auto with full 3" from the turbo back, no cats, and a gt muffler and mine is quiet at idle but can get kinda loud around 2-3k under load.

Does it sound like I stays at one loud annoying tone until your trans shifts. Mine sounds very hesitant and doesn't sound like it increases in tone as the RPMs go up. Same tone through out, and very loud from 2000rpms and up.

Is it just me or all autos.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
tubbie said:
Sounds like you have a leak somwhere in the exahust pipes. If not, buy a bigger silencer or add a resonator to it. That should help quite it down a lot.

I don't have a silencer (they look ghey) and I have a resinator. I thought it might me an exhaust leak, but I checked for that, and found nothing. At idle it has a nice sound like a gurggle or rumble sound of a hemi with headers. If you stand behind it, you can feel the exhaust pulse causing that sound at idle. Too much, or not enough back pressure?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Suprastic said:
Does it sound like I stays at one loud annoying tone until your trans shifts. Mine sounds very hesitant and doesn't sound like it increases in tone as the RPMs go up. Same tone through out, and very loud from 2000rpms and up.

Is it just me or all autos.

It's the nature of autos. Get a resonator, mine did the dame & a resonator helps some.

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
GotToyota? said:
Are you N/A or turbo? N/A's tend to be louder than turbos.

NA until next winter when the final step of my project is complete. I want to know how I can quiet it down. Maybe there is an exhaust for a turbo that will sound good on my NA until I go GTE

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Suprastic said:
NA until .....E

That's the issue........ NAs are much louder than turbos. Turbos have the turbo to muffle the sound, so it's not as loud.

Live with it until your turbo... :bigthumb:

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Here's what I'd recommend. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopdisplaycategories.asp?zone=main&id=303

The #13216 (14") or equivalent style offered by your local 'independant' muffler shop. Like 'V-Force'.

The 3 chambers will bring down the sound without hurting performance.

Leave the center resonator, or you'll wish you had.

N1's suck !! They only make Honda owners THINK they have power !!:evil2:

I've added posts to several threads here on this subject for n/a cars, but check this out too.
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/showthread.php?t=957:biglaugh:

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
To answer/comment to your original question, I have the HKS Super Dragger cat-back and it is QUIET. DP, test pipe, and HKS. It parks near my work entrance (still on idle...turbo timer on) and most of my co-workers hadn't noticed that it's still on as they walk by (this was before I did the Lexus AFM/550'c). It gives a deep, low rumble at low speeds and does not attract ANY attention at all. Was with a group of cars on the Intersate and one of the drivers asked how come he doesn't hear anything when the tip is almost 4" inches!!

So ya, I don't know about other mufflers/exhaust systems...but this one is definitely more quiet than my last no-name, cheap azz muffler!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
^^^^^^
Amen to the super dragger brother!
I had one on my 92 turbo auto, and I had a friend drive the car away from me and I couldn't even tell it was running. VERY quiet at low RPM's. I loved it. When you punch it you hear it oo, and it's not horrible, it's VERY nice, the way the engine wants to sound. I reccomend it if you can afford. Besides, the piping was large aswell, and the canister glistened in the sun like an apollo capsule on re-entry.
eric

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
Well said!!
The only thing it needs is an extra flange (to the test pipe/hi-flow cat) because it is a bit short. Besides that, it's great!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
You know, I can't say I had that problem with mine. i had the stokc dp, but highflow cat and then the dragger and it seemed to bolt up fine. maybe my cat was slightly longer or somethin.
eric

w8me1st

boost addict
Apr 5, 2005
Last Exit Before Hell, Arizona
i have the hks super dragger (80mm catback w/ 110mm muffler), no cats w/ test pipe and everybody loves how quite my car is. one thing i noticed the most is i used to be able to hear my car idle (for warm up) from in the house, now i hear it start but cant hear it idle anymore. i have remote start on my alarm which is how i notice the quite idle. and when i get on it it never drowns out my radio. i am very happy with its quiet but great performance.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
I got a trust (jasma approved) muffler on mine.custom dump from turbo,hollowed cat to trust muffler. all 3inch.When i was auto it was quiet.manual is still quiet.no droning.just a nice deep note.at idle you cant hear it (just the injectors ticking).When you stomp on it you hear more of the engine reving than the exh note.There is a big 5 1/2inch tip on it with a rolled end.Got pulled over by police and asked to rev the engine (cause they thought big muffler big noise) and this was at 3am in a residential area.Boy did they get a suprise.All they heard was my engine reving,air getting sucked in my airfilter and bov fluttering slightly.There was a review in Zoom magazine here in oz and the trust muffler flowed the same as a straight through pipe and was the quietest one out the lot.