California Emissoins Help!

Dragonlilly;1023900 said:
I'm currently still in North Carolina. I plan on moving to CA at the end of June. So I'm taking myself, jtamulis (Jeff's screen name on SM, he is my housemate and one of the go-to guys for turbos), and my cats in my Supra the 2500 mile drive out to Cali. jtamulis will help me with my stuff and I'm flying him back home to NC. As for visiting your shop, I'm moving to the Glendale area so that will be a 5 hour drive for me. Eesh. If it means you can help get my car passed, it'll be worth it. My car just got the swap and I haven't even driven it yet. And it's my first Supra! I would sink into the pit of despair if I can't get it passed!:cry: Since my husband has a year contract in the job he just got in Cali, if my car won't pass, could I just leave it in NC tags and just say that I'm in Cali on contract? I can technically keep my residence in NC.

Keep the car registered in NC, just don't get pulled over lol. If you try to register it here and it fails your registration will be held and you will have to put the 7m back in if you want to ever register it again so to save money and alot of time keep it registered in NC and drive it here but be cautious and don't get pulled over or they'll cite you and you'll be given a time frame as to how long the car can be driven in CA until it needs to be registered here.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
MA71_Static;1023956 said:
JZ = NO PASS, does not matter if it USDM or not, it was never offered in the car so its not legal. It might as well be an LS1 or a 13b, I'm not gathering my information from a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a Ref, I am the Ref and I'm telling you its not legal. I don't want to get into a huge arguement or discussion on this subject but if youre dead set on trying to pass with that engine then go ahead, it might pass the emissions part but it will fail the visual.

Im Chris Brown

May 2, 2008
Palm Springs, CA
mmm.

well. i've got a friend thats got a skyline thats registered in california...of course, he went through a buddy.
but i dont think i want to deal with that. looks like 7m-gte swap!

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
So you're saying even tho I put in a 1994 Supra 2JZ-GE (non turbo) engine, USDM motor
with ALL the newer (factory) emission equipment of the 1994 motor, California will not allow
a cleaner, newer, less emission-producing motor in an older car?!

Shit. Okay, now what, throw a 7M-GTE back in? Fuck that.

Jeff
jtamulis@hotmail.com

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
Apparently. I have less than two months so no way can I get good running 7M GTE swapped out in time AND be able to afford it. :runaway:Shit Indeed.

Well thanks MA71_Static for your help. I probably have saved a lot of heartache if I had just driven 2500 miles and finding out I need to either swap the engine or sell the car. If I had known months ago I was moving to CA I would have never put a 2jz in the car. I'd probably have a 7mGTE with a BHG. in it.:biglaugh:
For now I have a Lexus GS 300 I can take with me there. I can have jtamulis bring me my Supra once I have it swapped back out. This sucks.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
You are still wrong. You can swap a 2JZ-GE into a car and have it CARB legal, as long as all emission equipment is still intact.

Ive seen it done, multiple times. You get a Carb plate and everything. Shit, a guy I know in P town just swapped an LS1 from a 2000 Corvette into his 1993 RX7 and it is CARB legal. Has a nice big plate stating inspection was passed and all is well.

There is a guy in Stockton with a MK2 with a full 7M-GTE swap that is Carb Certified too.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I am so glad that the "carb guy" was flat-ass wrong. According to the head of the
California State Certified Referee station, if we can prove that the engine is in fact a newer
engine, AND that the newer engine has all of the legal emissions equipment intact, then it
gets a BAR Label, and then is tested as the "newer" car. I.E. It will now be tested as if it
was a 1994 Toyota Supra. I spent 3 hours on the phone talking with the State reps, and
kept going up the chain until I got all the info, on who to contact, where, names and
numbers for the L.A. Area DragonLilly is going to.

After going to the referee station, and getting a new BAR label, the car then can be
smogged at any smog station in Cali. The ONLY issue we _might_ have is if the orginal
engine was a 49 state engine. If that is the case, then we have to get a 1994 Califonia
Emissions legal ECU. That's it, apparently the EGR and Cat and rest of the stuff is the
same from the 50 state car to the Cali car. I'm sure if that's the case we can find a 50
state legal ECU on ebay or something.

Jeff

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
Hooray! This is some good information to know and have on this site just in case other people have the same issue I did. More and more people are interested in doing a J2Z swap in their MK III's so its nice to know for the Cali people. Here's hoping my car passes! Jeff is coming with me so if there are any issues he can fix them quickly. It's nice to have the guy who built my car to be accompanying me on my trip. :):biggrinbo

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
yeah, you just can't swap an OLDER motor in, i.e. mkIV w/ a 7m. The referee inspections can be a MAJOR hassle, just depends on who you get and if you did your part correctly. Best of luck to ya

Big Wang Bandit;1024304 said:
See, Sometimes I'm right.

Not all my posts are pointless shits :p

Glad you guys are giving it a green flag.

BTS MA71static, CARB guy my ass.

Uhh come to my shop then and see me for yourself, 420 whitney place in fremont CA off the Warm Springs exit on hwy 680. Anyone can come by, and I'm not a CARB guy, I'm a Smog Test Only guy lol. One head guy who writes the smog laws here in CA works at the station his name is Joe Castlary and I asked and he said no it wouldn't pass. Pm me and I will gladly give you his number and you can talk to him yourself. Or even call my shop and you can talk to a real Ref. Go ahead call me out on this cause I'm not some internet BSer tryin to rain on your dreams, I'm just offering my advice to help a a forum member to not waste more time and money but I just get flammed for it. I've seen this many times with the SR20 guys and they always failed unless the car was a J-Spec and fitted with the EGR, EVAP, and Cats BY AN AUTHORIZED COMPANY not in a backyard. Anyway good luck with your car

jtamulis;1024297 said:
I am so glad that the "carb guy" was flat-ass wrong. According to the head of the
California State Certified Referee station, if we can prove that the engine is in fact a newer
engine, AND that the newer engine has all of the legal emissions equipment intact, then it
gets a BAR Label, and then is tested as the "newer" car. I.E. It will now be tested as if it
was a 1994 Toyota Supra. I spent 3 hours on the phone talking with the State reps, and
kept going up the chain until I got all the info, on who to contact, where, names and
numbers for the L.A. Area DragonLilly is going to.

After going to the referee station, and getting a new BAR label, the car then can be
smogged at any smog station in Cali. The ONLY issue we _might_ have is if the orginal
engine was a 49 state engine. If that is the case, then we have to get a 1994 Califonia
Emissions legal ECU. That's it, apparently the EGR and Cat and rest of the stuff is the
same from the 50 state car to the Cali car. I'm sure if that's the case we can find a 50
state legal ECU on ebay or something.

Jeff

You didn't talk to anybody cause if you did the tech wouldn't call anything a 49 state engine cause there isn't such a thing. Its not the engine that makes it legal its the equipment. So to correct you and you should edit your post so you sound right and I look dumb and I don't know what I'm talking about, 49 state cars are known as Federal Cars. CAR not engine, then there are CA CARS that have an emission program and sometimes computer. LA knows nothing about smog so Dragonlily you want to know anything call the smog head office in Sacremento CA. There is a toll free 1800 number that will answer all of your questions

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
MA71_Static;1023717 said:
Thats because ford most likely offered a 4.0 in that car in, that is ok. But the JZ wasn't offered in an MKIII in the US. But yes all emission equipment mustbe there and the engine must be of the same year or newer. Theres a large book we have that lists all acceptable engines for every car 75 and newer. If it's not on the list the car doesn't get the BAR label.

o ok got cha makes sense, but is there any way the smog ref would get lazy and just give you the bar label?

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
I Talked with a few different people an my way to talking to the "referee" One guy
mentioned the Federal car (49 state) or California emission'd car. He wasn't the actual
referee, just someone on the way to the ref who thought he knew the laws. I talked with
prolly 15-20 people until I got in touch with an actual referee at the place where you get
the BAR label for the out-of-state-to-california emissions center, whatever it was called.
Everyone said that it would be just fine. If not, I have a long list of numbers to call and
people to get in trouble to get it passed. If it doesn't pass, well, She's only going there
for a year long contract, We'll find someone to pass it, or bring the car back to NC where
it does pass.

Jeff

EDIT: I'm tired, so this post might not have made much sense. I do appreciate your insight
and your not trying to be a jerk about it.