California Emissoins Help!

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here is from California and how I might be able to get my car to pass emissions. I have a '89 Mk III with a 2jz GE swap. It is currently running on 7M electronics. I am leaving the normal emission stuff on there but does anybody have an exact idea of what I may need to do to get it to pass emissions in CA? I can't stand the thought of not having my baby with me! :)

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I recently spoke with an owner of a smog shop and he told me the best way to get your car legal is make sure all the smog equipment is on there and go see a referee and get a certificate.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
supraman7mgte;957043 said:
Im no pro,but would possibly be the prob be with the 2j running on 7m electronics?

umm yes!

Three things are really needed

Fuel air and the motor.

The sensors. If you use 7m sensors on a v8. It will work.

DragonLilly

make sure to use 93 as the model year of the supra. 84 is when they went to OBDII and you will fail if they plug in.

edit: 94 not 84!!

Last edited:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I think Fig and Supraman are right I seem to rememebr the smog guy saying you need the electronics from the newer engine. He also said he has passed many with engine swaps like that that were certified by a referee and done right.

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
Ok thanks everyone! I just realized I do have the 2J electronics not the 7M electronics. I wasn't paying attention properly I guess::dunce::

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
The only other problem I'm running into now is that I believe I need the stock 2jz-GE cat. However, I have found out the hard way it doesn't fit in so well into the Mk III with out hammering it into a more flattened shape so It'll fit. This sounds a little redneck but as far as I can tell, most people do not keep the stock exhaust when doing the swap and it is usually a NA-T swap. I am staying NA for now until I can scrape up enough money for a turbo set up. If I can get away with a non stock cat that will fit better that would be fantastic. I just don't know how strict Smog is about that and if they are going to say something about the somewhat squished cat I currently have. It still has most of it's shape and you can't tell unless you look really close.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I believe, if your car has over 80,000 miles, you don't need the OEM Cat. I don't think a lot of places look for that anyway, as long as you have a cat and you pass the sniffer...but then again, the last time I smogged a vehicle in California was when I bought my truck...bone-stock....LOL! I'm pretty sure that 80k mile thing is a federal regulation though.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
p986486_1.gif

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
KicknAsphlt;986481 said:
I believe, if your car has over 80,000 miles, you don't need the OEM Cat. I don't think a lot of places look for that anyway, as long as you have a cat and you pass the sniffer...but then again, the last time I smogged a vehicle in California was when I bought my truck...bone-stock....LOL! I'm pretty sure that 80k mile thing is a federal regulation though.

I think I should be fine. If it doesn't pass I'll find someone who will make it pass and it'll stay in North Carolina tags until then. The fun part is when I decide to turbo my car how well that'll go! :biglaugh: Thanks a whole bunch!

Finally a thread I can help with lol, no you cannot legally in CA. Yes it is an inline 6 but the JZ family was not offered in the A70 chassis in CA, other states are more lienient when it comes to swaps. If your in the bay area you can come by my shop and I'll help out however I can but for the most part A JZ can't be put into an MKIII Legally. I'm at the Smog Ref station off of Warm Springs in Fremont during the week bofore 5pm, you'll be needing to come by and get that BAR label lol.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
dont squish the cat dude! the cat is a honeycomb shape on the inside and if squished youll crush it, making your chances even worse of passing the sniffer, this is what you should do, get an aftermarket cat that fits, make sure all smog equitment is on and probably done, no short cuts, then find a layed back smog center, and have them run the car the way it is, who knows the smog guy might not notice its a 2j, just a shot, if you get smog refireed make sure everything and I mean everything is perfect and have it boe stock, you can take it or leave it, thats what Id try to do.

Supra-K

Sep 13, 2007
Victorville CA
MA71_Static;1023688 said:
Finally a thread I can help with lol, no you cannot legally in CA. Yes it is an inline 6 but the JZ family was not offered in the A70 chassis in CA, other states are more lienient when it comes to swaps. If your in the bay area you can come by my shop and I'll help out however I can but for the most part A JZ can't be put into an MKIII Legally. I'm at the Smog Ref station off of Warm Springs in Fremont during the week bofore 5pm, you'll be needing to come by and get that BAR label lol.

what? dude people swap motors in their cars all the time in california, its just has to be a us version, all smog equitment must be entact and operating correctly, and it must be a newer motor not older than the orginal one, then a smog ref will sign you off if everything is done right, I helped my friend with his ford ranger, we swaped a 4.0 into it and smog ref cleared it so.......:confused:

Supra-K;1023704 said:
what? dude people swap motors in their cars all the time in california, its just has to be a us version, all smog equitment must be entact and operating correctly, and it must be a newer motor not older than the orginal one, then a smog ref will sign you off if everything is done right, I helped my friend with his ford ranger, we swaped a 4.0 into it and smog ref cleared it so.......:confused:

Thats because ford most likely offered a 4.0 in that car in, that is ok. But the JZ wasn't offered in an MKIII in the US. But yes all emission equipment mustbe there and the engine must be of the same year or newer. Theres a large book we have that lists all acceptable engines for every car 75 and newer. If it's not on the list the car doesn't get the BAR label.

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
Big Wang Bandit;1023731 said:
You can swap a 2JZ-GE into a MK3. You can swap a 2JZ-GTE from any US bound supra into a MK3.

They are all completely legal as long as nothing is tampered with.

This still leaves the problem of my cat. The original simply does not fit into the engine bay with out squishing it a bit. Are there any after market cats that will pass that can clear the cross member of the bay?

Dragonlilly

Scarletgypsy
Jan 24, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
MA71_Static;1023688 said:

I'm currently still in North Carolina. I plan on moving to CA at the end of June. So I'm taking myself, jtamulis (Jeff's screen name on SM, he is my housemate and one of the go-to guys for turbos), and my cats in my Supra the 2500 mile drive out to Cali. jtamulis will help me with my stuff and I'm flying him back home to NC. As for visiting your shop, I'm moving to the Glendale area so that will be a 5 hour drive for me. Eesh. If it means you can help get my car passed, it'll be worth it. My car just got the swap and I haven't even driven it yet. And it's my first Supra! I would sink into the pit of despair if I can't get it passed!:cry: Since my husband has a year contract in the job he just got in Cali, if my car won't pass, could I just leave it in NC tags and just say that I'm in Cali on contract? I can technically keep my residence in NC.

sluggo42

Aug 9, 2007
Socal
I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night, AND, I live in California. I have discussed a swap with a large number of people, and NO, it won't pass a proper smog inspection, it isn't an engine the car came with, or I would have bought that 2jz car in Houston that Dude just put in, and then was getting shipped out of the country.
However, I have heard some cars mysteriously passing with a swap, if you know what I mean, I guess you need to know somebody, unfortunately, I don't know anybody...

JZ = NO PASS, does not matter if it USDM or not, it was never offered in the car so its not legal. It might as well be an LS1 or a 13b, I'm not gathering my information from a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a Ref, I am the Ref and I'm telling you its not legal. I don't want to get into a huge arguement or discussion on this subject but if youre dead set on trying to pass with that engine then go ahead, it might pass the emissions part but it will fail the visual.