California Emissoins Help!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
This should be the end of this discussion.

Attached is the California SMOG training manual for replacement engines. It is a complete section of a SMOG approved training manual for replacement engines. It is entitled... Appendix C of the state manual, recommended for use with every SMOG inspection.

Read it, take it for what it is, and remember cars every day slip through the cracks of a state inspection.

P.S. I d o not claim to be an expert in California state inspections but I do have this information, “in writing” (straight from the California training manual), to show the actual written law for engine replacement.

p1024719_1.jpg
p1024719_2.jpg

Attachments

• smog 1.jpg
    smog 1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 5
  • smog 2.jpg
    smog 2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Yup that is 100% correct. You can go to the BAR REF Station and GET a BAR label showing
that your car has a newer engine, and all the emissions equipment are there AND functioning
properly. A 1989 Jag can have a 1994 LT-1 Chevy V8, LEGALLY, and passed the Smog Ref
station, LEGALLY and now has an "engine swap" BAR Label. Go to JagsthatRun.com and
they have BAR Labels listed and pictures of cars that have completed BAR and how to do it.

Ultimitly, it's up to the BAR Ref to decide if your car has all the emissions "stuff" in place and
they are the final word on if you car should pass. Each of the tech refs I talked to said that
it should be ok.

Take that for what it's worth.

Jeff

BlazIn TurbO

Sep 5, 2008
la
sorry to bring up a old thread, but did you get the car passed? im guessing so. but if it would work for a stock ge with all emissions equipment it should also work with the 2jzgte with all emissions equipment on also correct?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Older car with newer usdm engine which meets smog requirements for newer engine=pass.

I don't know where people get all the funky information that gets passed around. It's especially unsettling when "smog tech's" don't even know. Yikes.

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Yes, the exact quote from the BAR tech.

"Why on earth would we NOT allow a newer, cleaner emissions motor in an older car."

If you have a newer engine, and you stick it in an older car it WILL pass BAR tech, and then
get a SMOG BAR label, and is tested and treated as if it was the newer car.

Jeff

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As someone who knows about this stuff I'm glad I stayed out of this thread back when it was first posted. Way too much BS. That one guy is about as clueless as basic emission techs come.

Btw as some of you may already know a visible smoke inspection recently became a mandatory part of the Cali emissions tests for all vehicles. It requires inspection of both the tailpipe and PCV system. It followed the low pressure evap test. If you think that's bad wait until January 2009 when the new rules about replacement catalysts becomes law. I can already hear the bitching...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
good to hear its legal but that sux there just making it harder for smog. do you guys know when we are smog excempt or if we will be?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Interesting JJ. For a moment I thought they were actually going to inject smoke into those systems and check for leaks. The actual test doesn't seem to be too bad.

9. What is the technician supposed to do?
The test requires the technician to look for visible smoke coming from the tailpipe after the end of the tailpipe emissions test. The technician will do this with the engine idling and look for at least 10 seconds. The technician will also look for visible smoke coming from the crankcase (PCV System) for 10 seconds during the liquid leak test while the engine is at idle.

But what is the liquid leak test?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Never mind! I see it is part of the new evap test where they look for fuel leaks. I don't recall the tech looking too hard when he did mine last year, probably just uses his nose.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
lol you guys are all interesting.

hook everything up.

take it to a smog shop to get a pretest done. i have a good feeling the smog dude won't know the difference between a 7M and 2JZ. ;)

Assuming the Diagnostic mode is the same on the 2JZ-GE.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hvyman;1133380 said:
would the 2jzgte run cleaner emissions than the 7mgte? i would think it would

yes.

Every year brings in new emission tightening laws. That like saying does an IS300 from 2004 have better emmisions than a 1998 supra ;) The answer is of course.