Bring back the Kaminari 3 piece spoiler???

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
rodel;2074476 said:
There is still a chance for this project. There is only one company I am willing to work with to have the wing remanufactured and that company is very busy at this time.

I came to SM to check on precisely this. The longer I keep my mk3 the more I restore and the more I think I'm likely to keep the thing forever. This wing is at the top of my body tasks.

Good quality floor mats would be good, too. ;)

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
For floor mats just buy them from Weathertech. Not the prettiest, but will certainly last longer than OEM, plus easy to clean.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
lithium14;2074511 said:
For floor mats just buy them from Weathertech. Not the prettiest, but will certainly last longer than OEM, plus easy to clean.

While I love the weathertechs from a rugged function perspective (I've got the digital fit liners on order for my Land Cruiser) I don't think that would be at home in a sports car. I want something luxurious/sporty!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
lithium14;2074511 said:

That has no place in a Supra. Much like a 2.0 or a 2.5 engine.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
Has anybody been keeping up with the Facebook post and Kaminari themselves making them again. Chris Larsen and I have been in Contact with the owner and they do have one spare original spoiler left and are going to make a new mold and some slight adjustments to the spoiler (slightly more aggressive angle and possibly the side tips being adjusted to flow into the body better).
From my understanding they will be ball park price of $400+ shipping and will include the 3rd brakelight (no connector). Feel free to PM me with any questions/concerns and I'll try to respond best i can.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
SeeUSmile;2083126 said:
ohhh any updates lately bluebullet89?

Hey All, Got to Reno couple hours ago. Running into the shop at 8am to meet with Pete. We are gonna discuss 4 changes/updates.

1. Slightly more aggressive angle (not too crazy. we want to keep it resembling the factory 3-piece)
2. Tips flow into the side panels (better transition looking more like the OEM factory 3-piece tips)
3. Factory Antenna hole (Old one did not have antenna)
4. Possible Option of Carbon Fiber

For any quick input contact me through Facebook (Doug Clemens)

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
UPDATE:

So the spoiler is under alteration. The antenna hole will be shaved as 3/4 of everyone have their removed and it will be a lot easier to make a hole for the antenna than to fill the hole with FiberGlass or possible Carbon Fiber.

Hello Kaminari

It's HAPPENING

Got mine removed next to the Kaminari Main Wing (The V2.0 will have a 1/4 inch addition to the height of the rear portion with a smooth transition into the spoiler giving it a slightly more aggresive look)

Passenger Side (Antenna Hole will be removed as most have requested/removed their factory antenna)

Side Wing Tips (You can see the Kaminari is currently taller and more pointed end) They will be rounding and tip and taking it down slightly to make a better transition into the body.

The Under side current does not have any mounting points. They are making adjustments so that the factory hardware can be used. THE ONLY MOUNTING DIFFERENCE WILL BE. They cannot reproduce the snap in pin on the Lower edge of the side pieces that go up the body. They will be making a female mounting point where we can run a bolt/nut through the original OEM holes and secure the spoiler that way.

Pete, the owner and Master of Kaminari helping fit the spoiler.

Center Mounting point is as if it was cut off. Pete is casting my OEM spoiler center mount to add that to the Kaminari center so that the factory mount holes for wires and bolts can be used.

Getting Masked off for the casting to be done.

Starting the Alteration to the Kaminari Wing

Sorry for the overload of pics.

I left the shop at this point to spend the rest of the day with the wife and kiddos. Went and saw the National Automobile Museum here in Reno. It was pretty awesome. Headed back to the shop tomorrow to pick up the supra.

I also wanted to save this till the end but......
CARBON FIBER WILL BE AN OPTION :)

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
So awesome that this is happening and even better to get some pics of the process. The changes are exactly what I would have requested. Nice work

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
UPDATE #2

So, the next morning went back to pick up the supra and see what they had done to the spoiler at that point and a good amount was completed. They masked up the body of the car and made a cast on the bottom part of the spoiler so trimming and adjustments for fitment to the body could be made. (This was their catelog spoiler so it didnt sit perfect)

Dont mind my daughter walking into the picture

spoiler sits on its own and forms great to the body

You can see the fiberglass base laid out for the spoiler. They cast my spoiler middle mount to make the addition to this piece.
THE SIDE SPOILER TIP PIECES WILL REMAIN ORIGINAL KAMINARI. No alteration to the front side tips will be made.

Rear Shot. (you can see some filler build up that i have a closer pic of)

The Antenna hole WILL BE SHAVED AND REMOVED ON ALL SPOILERS as it would be harder to fiberglass fill the hole for the majority of people that dont have the antenna anyway. Also if anyone wants to buy a Carbon spoiler without the antenna hole they would just have to use a plug. So to help compensate for those that want to use factory antenna. There will be the hole location cast/marked on the bottom side of the spoiler for easy drilling of the factory located hole.

The rear bolt on OEM mounts was RIGHT ON the edge of the kaminari so they will slightly be building it out a little wider so the bolts can be put to OEM location.

This was it for our Reno trip. Measurements and all the other info needed to get the spoiler going was noted. We headed back to Utah the following day and stopped at the Bonneville Salt Flats for a few pics. The raceway was flooded so sadly no PR for top speed :(

The wait will be approximately 4 weeks from now until they are up for sale.

Carbon spoilers will be APPROX an additional $200 from the Fiberglass and might be a little further out. They need to first make a test spoiler in CF to see how much they will need.

PLEASE EVERYONE THANK TELEFENDER71 (Chris Larson) as he was the one to truely get the ball rolling on bringing this spoiler back.

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nice work peeps. Glad someone did something for the MKIII community instead of just talking about doing something for the MKIII community.