brakes or rotors?

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
so i hear a squeal when i hit my brakes, sounds like its coming from the front left. ok. new pads right? only problem is i replaced them less than 10k ago. hmm. now i am hearing the sound not only when braking, but also when i am just driving now, it hits a certain part on the rim, like it goes SQUEAL. as i accelerate.......SQUEAL...SQUEAL..SQUEAL,SQUEAL, SQUEAL! like as i go faster it speeds up.... now i know i didnt hit a curb or anything recently that could have bent my rim.. kinda stumped by this... hope its not my rotor =//

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
You may have bent the dust shield behind the rotor and now it is rubbing. Check for that first and look at the rotor and feal it (not when hot lol)for distortion or grooves like a record. If it has minor groves it may just need to be cut, but if it is bad or distorted you need to replace it and the other side as well. Never just do one side of anything.:naughty:

suprasnd

Jul 14, 2007
Flinton, PA
You could have possibly hit the brake warning noise makers. They are pieces of metal that alert you to the fact that your brake lining is wearing thin and you need to replace pads. Some companies use them and some don't.

Keith

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Could also have a stuck caliper on that side. If so, it'll eat the pad pretty quick, and overheat the rotors, causing them to warp.

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
cuel said:
Could also have a stuck caliper on that side. If so, it'll eat the pad pretty quick, and overheat the rotors, causing them to warp.
I had that problem with mine. After a drive, go to that side/wheel of the car. if it smells like brakes, you've got a stuck caliper.

they sell lube kits for it that may work, if not, can always rebuild it

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
Yes, I've heard that break dust build up will do it as well. If it is a caliper, then just rebuild it. I mean, I rebuilt all 4 of my calipers for about $25 and only about 2hrs. If you need a writeup on it just say so.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I have had several stuck calipers over the years. Honestly, it is more cost-effective to get a rebuilt caliper set then to rebuild it yourself. The cost difference is negligible.

Stay away from "lifetime warranty" brake shoes. They have a lifetime warranty because they are really hard. The shoes SHOULD wear out. Ill bet the same company that makes those "lifetime" shoes doesnt make "lifetime" rotors.

When you put on new calipers be sure to use high-temp synthetic BRAKE CALIPER GREASE. Do NOT use anti-sieze, axle grease, wd-40 etc.

I think you have a stuck caliper or a bent heat shield. You can tell if your rotor is bent if you feel vibration when you use the brakes.

Also, perfectly working brakes can squeal. The squeal is caused by vibration of the plate behind the pad or the pad vibrating against the caliper and rotor. You can put "brake quiet" on the back of the pads to absorb the vibration caused when you brake. Just take out the pads, clean them off, and spray a few good coats on there. "Brake quiet" is like rubber in a can.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
james_9876 said:
Yes, I've heard that break dust build up will do it as well. If it is a caliper, then just rebuild it. I mean, I rebuilt all 4 of my calipers for about $25 and only about 2hrs. If you need a writeup on it just say so.

lol ill def need a writeup on that one.. and i highly doubt itl take me 3 hours haha

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
update: idk if this helps but i notice it makes the sound when i turn the wheel as well.. hopefully moreso promoting a bent heatshield as i take it this is simple to fix... bending it back..

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
a rebuild doesn't rebuild the slides, which is the part that wears out and seizes causing issues on our brakes...

rebuilt caliper assemblies (not JUST the caliper, it comes with the bracket with the slides on it) is the only way to really get them back to 100%...

you can fix them good enough to where they work fine (like I did with removing and polishing the slides, ect), and then save for a BBK like I am...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
This doesn't sound like it could be the problem, but did you resurface/replace the rotor when you put new pads in 10k ago?

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
p5150 said:
Stay away from "lifetime warranty" brake shoes. They have a lifetime warranty because they are really hard. The shoes SHOULD wear out. Ill bet the same company that makes those "lifetime" shoes doesn't make "lifetime" rotors.
Actually, a lot of the companies that make the brake pads don't offer the lifetime, its the stores that do that. I work at O'Reilly's and we sell Wagner brake parts which are lifetime parts, including rotors, but Wagner does not honor any such warranty, we do.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Poodles said:
a rebuild doesn't rebuild the slides, which is the part that wears out and seizes causing issues on our brakes...

It does if you do it right. Get a Toyota overhaul kit, it will come with all the rubber boots (including the slider boots). Most of the time when they seize up it is because the rubber boot has broken and the lubrication inside is all gunked up.

Remove old slider pins, clean, check for wear, clean, relubricate, replace all seals. Good to go. :)

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Check that your anti-rattle springs are all in place...and put brake quiet on the backs of the pads...should be fine. Or you could have gone through you pads already...but that seems unlikely.

You really just need to take the caliper off and inspect everything.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
took the tire off and looked.. trying to spin the wheel required a lotttt of force.. i think the caliper is stuck but i could be wrong..

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
aidanair said:
took the tire off and looked.. trying to spin the wheel required a lotttt of force.. i think the caliper is stuck but i could be wrong..
Rebuild or replace the caliper and check the rotor.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Could also be a collapsed brake line. Open the banjo bolt on the caliper, and see if the caliper loosens up. If not, the caliper is sticking. If it does loosen up, try replacing the rubber line from the metal tubing to the caliper first.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I had one sticking once and it felt like the wheel was loose without pressure on the brake pedal, it had warped the rotor before I was able to fix it.