BOV not venting completely?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey all.

Little info on my current setup:

Running Alberts billet wheel turbo setup (58 trim i believe?)

I have the Driftmotion intercooler kit, all is well, no leaks etc etc.

I have myself a TiAL bov. It has the 11psi spring in it.

Now here's the problem: When I am normal driving everything is fine. When I do about 50%-65% throttle (figure about 5-6psi) all is still good, bov vents just like it should. Here is where it gets weird and i'm worried I may be hurting the turbo.

When I go full throttle, hitting around 8-9 psi (Have AEM turboost installed for accurate reading) it seems as if something gets back pressured if you will.
The bov when working properly makes a nice pshh sound when it vents. But when I go full throttle, please excuse the lack of a better word but it describes the sound pefectly, it makes a pretty loud 'queef' noise. (If you literally say the word queef somewhat loud and high pitched, that's what the turbo sounds like)

So cliff notes, normal driving, part throttle lower boost is fine. Full thorttle, makes noise and seems as if it's not venting all of it.

The setup i have for the bov is this. Caped off nipple by throttle body on ic pipe. Capped off intake nipple. So basically the two ports where the stock bpv connects to are capped off, obviously.

Now I don't know if location is an issue or not? But it seems like it wouldn't be considering the bov works regular driving, part throttle etc.
But I have the TiAL bov located behind where the passenger side foglight is.
So yes, the vacuum line is quite long i suppose (from bov to nipple that travels to in. mani.)

So ladies and gents, any ideas?

Thank you as always!

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I couldn't tell you to be honest.

The only thing I know is that it was in a little 'performance vacuum line kit' made for bov's or what not, got it at local 'performance shop'

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Same exact situation for me :( I ordered a 7 psi. Should be here soon. But like OP said it releases faster with lower pressure. Mines behind driver side foglight

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I would replace the vacuum line first to rule it out. Just bring it to a auto parts store the will match up the correct size, you can get around a 1/4" fuel line that is much better quality than a regular vacuum hose

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I'm having the same issue right now as well:( had hks on my twins that worked perfect for over a year, then I went single and figured I would get a better bov. So I got a synapse and it will not work at full boost either, so I put on the hks and I'm having the same problem. Hurting the turbo is not ok with me, I've been working on this for a few days now:(
There's no vac or boost leaks,
I have tried the bov on 15psi -21psi with no change.
What else can we check that would effect the bov to not work properly at full boost?

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Open it up, check the diaphragm for rips. Could also contact the bov company to see what they suggest

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
My boost gauge says 18 ish in hg but I put a gauge on the vac hose where the bov is and read 15 so i'm putting a 7 psi spring in when it comes, I'll update if that helps with his dilemma.

Just a question, when you guys first put the tial on did it blow off the first time? Mine didn't vent for at least a day, like the diaphragm had to break in.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hmm interesting. I guess i will get a new vac. line first and see if that does anything.

It is a brand new bov also, ordered it sealed and new from titan motorsports.

Say the vac. line isn't the cause, and i'm fairly certain there is a good chance the diaphram isn't ripped considering it's brand new ( doesn't mean impossible though)

What do you then think it can be?

Also I will be emailing Tial about it

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I have all silicone from DM, is that stuff cheap too?
The bad thing is my bov work on another at now, and my hks worked with the twins:/ I think it's something with vac not pulling enough ( pinched lines) or something

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
See the weird thing to me is that, it's not even high boost...I mean I'm peaking at 9psi at the most. I know these TiAL bov's are great quality and can handle way more than 9psi lol.

still awaiting a response from them

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Would just like to add:
I popped the hood and squeezed the vac line and well.. It was pretty easily squeezable.

I'm gonna go to the auto parts store later today after work and replace it with a harder hose

Someone said fuel line hose? Any other types of hose I should look at??

I'm hoping this is the problem and an easy fix

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Supra_dan;1890571 said:
See the weird thing to me is that, it's not even high boost...I mean I'm peaking at 9psi at the most. I know these TiAL bov's are great quality and can handle way more than 9psi lol.

still awaiting a response from them

That's the weird thing, your having the problem at 9 psi and 20 psi for me. I wanna see if I have it at 9.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I went set the MBC to its lowest setting, WG spring is 12psi, and the bov is working:) huh, to much at hi boost....? This is ass backward:/

Ps... I need to be at 18psi to even wake this turbo up.....

Has the op tried upping his boost to see if it would open up the bov?? Might work...

Last edited: