Bolt-on Boss bb turbo vs GT35R?

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
So JT what would be the main difference between the Boss and your JT61GT. Is it just the compressor wheel? Price?

Any difference in lag or power output?

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Both the BOSS and the JT Series are nearly the same. Both basicly the best $$ can buy in the form of a bolt on turbo. Same exhaust housing, same wategate/lines, etc. The difference is Suprasport uses a Comp-turbo (formally ITS turbos) and I used comp turbos and some Masterpower. I can sell the SupraSport Version of the BOSS turbo slightly cheaper than retail from SupraSport but same turbo. Or a masterpower front end, and oil only cooled, not water and oil in a masterpower front end. That's even less $$, but masterpowers have proven themselves VERY reliable (and hassle free for me because I haven't have to deal with one ever going bad!). All of my JT Series that used Masterpower turbos, I've yet to ever have one come back for warranty, ever. I have had to repair a few ITS Turbos in the past, and it was a pain, The guys at Comp turbo used to be ITS, and left, or changed their name, or something. And there new stuff seems to be pretty good, time will tell.

Generally I provide close to the exact same turbo as SupraSport, just slightly cheaper as I tend to buy it wholesale, and split the difference with the end user. OR I make my version which is a Masterpower turbo, also slightly cheaper than the BOSS all trimmed out. Either way, The BOSS housing'd turbos, either in JT Series, or BOSS Series are some of the nicest turbo kits money can buy. Its simple, it's easy, it works, it looks good, and the quality is high. And bolts on like stock.

I also do take older SupraSport turbos, and I can have them rebuilt/refurbished and sell them slightly cheaper still. SupraSport wants to sell new turbos, and that's cool. I'm willing to have turbos rebuilt to better than new standard and sell them too. If you ever want a turbo email me, or PM me, and we'll set something up. I'll sometimes be able to get better deals I can't advertise, etc.

Jeff

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
A little off on the info...
Difference between the two, The Boss series from SupraSport are oil and water cooled, uses aluminum center cartridges. Joe and Justiin the owners of Comp Turbo quit ITS and started their own company ie Comp Turbo. Issues that ITS had stayed with ITS.
I don't know anything about Master components so I cannot comment on them. We have sold hundreds of true Boss Series Sr and Jr turbo's trouble free over the last 5 years.
I don't think the Master turbo's have the Triple Ceramic ball bearing option, they are still using the old dual ball bearing setup

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
I have a Boss Stage 4 TO4E 57 turbo. making around... 380hp/390tq @ 14psi... having waste gate problems so we can't do 18psi... i love it

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
If these bolt-on turbos have a bigger turbine housing and wheel, then they should have the added benefit of holding power (not fading) further up the RPM band. My 57-trim CT26 pulled really hard up to 5400 but power faded after that. I just finished a quick road tune with my new GT35r setup and it pulls hard all the way to 6200rpm. It makes more much more area under the power curve, and feels so much faster. I think it will make a huge difference when I am revving high through the 1/4 mile traps in 4th gear.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
tekdeus;1314775 said:
If these bolt-on turbos have a bigger turbine housing and wheel, then they should have the added benefit of holding power (not fading) further up the RPM band. My 57-trim CT26 pulled really hard up to 5400 but power faded after that. I just finished a quick road tune with my new GT35r setup and it pulls hard all the way to 6200rpm. It makes more much more area under the power curve, and feels so much faster. I think it will make a huge difference when I am revving high through the 1/4 mile traps in 4th gear.

Even the old HKS sport turbo with the smaller exhaust pulled much harder to redline than a CT26. You can see the dyno sheets here and there around the web.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I have a JT 58 turbo and it is great! I get full spool 20psi by 4000rpms and 10psi by 3300rpms. The turbo hits like a hammer and just keeps pulling. My goal with it is to run 25psi and some race gas and run it at the track and see how low in the 11's I can go.

I had a ct26 60-1 upgraded turbo and this turbo spools almost as fast and has alot more power with a broader power band.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
VERY late? to the party, guys... (sorry) but I may make it all worth while on this topic, time will tell.

I've been "consternating" on the Turbo route to go "next" for my long-term-phased crisproject keeper car. I'm on my 2nd TEC H3 (T04b-type?) CT hybrid that is over a decade old and runs great! It will do 18psi (haven't taken it above that) and is currently able to HOLD that level in taller gears up to near redline with none/minimal fall-off... but I am ready for more.

I HAVE a full tubular EX/DDP setup that I've not yet used, and plan to stick with a "bolt-on" for one more round. The BOSS and SP along with DM's CT57's were in contention, but I'm really liking the BOSS, since a GT35R was one of the OTHER considerations if I went to the T4 setup straight away. My bottom end is stock, but head fully built with 280's for lumps.:biglaugh:

I'll be reviewing the BOSS setups much closer for a complete bolt-on package w/plumbing for air & lines so I can make it a nice weekend swap-n-tune!;)

...if I go that route...

My primary question is: I'm leaning toward the 61 over the 67 for reliabilities sake, any thoughts on that from those who have experience with either or both from BOSS?

Thank you,

-crisp

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
^^^ PS: My goals are around 450~500MAX for a daily streetable setup. I'm running 550's and ALL the HKS goodies, and I hate to give my alphabet up just yet, and feel this might be at the limit of what my piggyback stuff can handle.

All thoughts welcome!;)

-crisp

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
crisp;1334902 said:
VERY late? to the party, guys... (sorry) but I may make it all worth while on this topic, time will tell.

I've been "consternating" on the Turbo route to go "next" for my long-term-phased crisproject keeper car. I'm on my 2nd TEC H3 (T04b-type?) CT hybrid that is over a decade old and runs great! It will do 18psi (haven't taken it above that) and is currently able to HOLD that level in taller gears up to near redline with none/minimal fall-off... but I am ready for more.

I HAVE a full tubular EX/DDP setup that I've not yet used, and plan to stick with a "bolt-on" for one more round. The BOSS and SP along with DM's CT57's were in contention, but I'm really liking the BOSS, since a GT35R was one of the OTHER considerations if I went to the T4 setup straight away. My bottom end is stock, but head fully built with 280's for lumps.:biglaugh:

I'll be reviewing the BOSS setups much closer for a complete bolt-on package w/plumbing for air & lines so I can make it a nice weekend swap-n-tune!;)

...if I go that route...

My primary question is: I'm leaning toward the 61 over the 67 for reliabilities sake, any thoughts on that from those who have experience with either or both from BOSS?

Thank you,

-crisp

Here is my 2 cents: We have run both of your two selections above. If you want a turbo to come on strong and make you hold on to the wheel than the 67 trim in either the stage 5 or P trim is the way to go. To help with lag you should go with the ball bearing set up.
In place of the 61, I would go with the GT61 and this is the one we are sticking with on our shop cars. A very good all around easy to drive turbo. Not quite as much power as the 67 trim but will break your tires loose in 3rd or 4th gear on the hi-way. It is a better choice of the two for street driving.
Either one is more HP than you asked for and will put down a good 550hp to the ground. I would tell you not to use an AFM on almost any turbo that is 500hp or more.