Bolt-on Boss bb turbo vs GT35R?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I agree, it would be interesting to see. I do enjoy testing the limits of the stock parts, however for his race car it seems like an absolute waste. He'd spool that turbo faster with a tubular manifold, and every second counts in a race car.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
Nick M;1205986 said:
I think that is a good topic. Thanks for bringing it up. I will probably do the BOSS, not for the sleeper effect, but to maintain the vehicle as stock and stock appearing as possible. But that is just me.

Looking forward to good discussion.

i dont think its humanly possible to make tekdeus's car look sleeper..just my thought:biglaugh:

Justin727

T-virus infected
shaeff;1213961 said:
I agree, it would be interesting to see. I do enjoy testing the limits of the stock parts, however for his race car it seems like an absolute waste. He'd spool that turbo faster with a tubular manifold, and every second counts in a race car.

very much so! If it comes down to it i'm sure he could custom build one untilizing the CT flange. Heck you would think so if he's layin down the cash to get over 800

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
umm... these BOSS turbo's now have my attention!! I like the fact of not having to buy a manifold and making a downpipe. Umm...... But I also still like the GT35R.

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Well it looks like your here in MN. Take a drive over and Greg can show you all the bits and pieces of the BOSS series...as long as it stops snowing for a little bit.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
shaeff;1213953 said:
Not exactly sure why you'd want to push 850hp using a stock exhaust manifold... If you're spending that kind of money (supporting mods), just get a tubular manifold...
I do believe that 850 on the stock is over the limit of stock manifold, But he is willing to try, and I am willing to help.
I would say that between 600 and 650 is going to be about the most the stock will flow. But on the other hand, I do make a T4 turbo with an AR of .81. I make it with a 3" or 3 1/2" v band on the exhaust side, now this one will make more power than the stock set up.

DSC03166.JPG

DSC03169.JPG

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Justin727;1214038 said:
would ya be able to swap out the hot side housing on the Boss to a T4 foot print if ya wanted more power out of it in the future? Of course that gets rid of the internal wg....

The Boss Housing for the stock manifold is interchangeable with the Boss T4 housing, so yes you can go from one to the other

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Hold on wait let me get this straight. Theres now a boss t-4 housing, so whenever im ready i could ditch my stock mani and go tubular and keep the same turbo by switching to a boss t-4 housing.

I guess i need to start shopping for an external wastegate and tubular mani :)

Also will the lipp elbow also fit the t-4 boss housing?

Justin727

T-virus infected
no because the T4 housing appears to use a Vband in the picture unless they have made a T4 footprint housing with the ct rear exhaust flanging.

But yes you can swap out the CT housing for the T4 housing which is good stuff so when you're ready you already got 80% of what ya need!

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Fuzz420;1214097 said:
Hold on wait let me get this straight. Theres now a boss t-4 housing, so whenever im ready i could ditch my stock mani and go tubular and keep the same turbo by switching to a boss t-4 housing.

I guess i need to start shopping for an external wastegate and tubular mani :)

Also will the lipp elbow also fit the t-4 boss housing?

NO it will not! The T4 uses a v-band flange and the Lipp Elbow is made to bolt direct to the back of a CT-26 bolt pattern.

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
Justin727;1214107 said:
no because the T4 housing appears to use a Vband in the picture unless they have made a T4 footprint housing with the ct rear exhaust flanging.

But yes you can swap out the CT housing for the T4 housing which is good stuff so when you're ready you already got 80% of what ya need!

Justin, what do you mean by saying the "CT Housing"?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
That stainless hot side divided T4 .81 AR housing is very nice indeed.

I have a coated MP housing, but it's not divided, and depending on how this SP diverter valve setup works, I might swap that out one of these days. (That would improve spool up quite a bit, and at .81, it's slightly larger than the .63 that the MasterPower came with.)

A few hundred RPM sooner tourqe and power figures don't sound like much, on the street, it's everything you want in a responsive motor. (Especially if no loss of top end flow/power is included.)

Most divided housings I've found have larger than .81.

While in theory, running a 1.00 housing would be a .50AR when the valve is closed, the spool up would be best with a .405 sized volute. (And let's face it, it is around town, just off boost when the power is nice to have for those who are running turbo's larger than a 60-1 for example.)

Also the stainless can be cast thinner, so it's lighter, and it handles heat better.. (Even more so when it's coated.. LOL)

How much for the .81 divided T4 with a 3" Vband outlet? (I'm lazy.. Or I suppose I could just go look for the price.)

Years ago, I had one of the older versions, with the Turbonetics sourced, and modified waste gate bolt on T4's from ITS and Suprasport. It was a 60-1 P trim with the DBB water cooled CHRA.
Easy 420hp at 18psi on the stock engine with 550's and a Lexus AFM. I also had a Greddy Eman Blue and Profec boost controller.
The turbo on the stock engine would allow it to pull to redline. It also was a beast at 21psi or more. (Max I ever pushed was 28 on good fuel, but one day, on what I thought was good fuel, and that pressure, it melted down a ring land, and ended that day poorly...

Just a note. When I got the turbo from ITS, I took the CHRA and housings apart to coat them. (Ended up just leaving the CHRA and rotating assy alone.. But I also ported the living crap out of the hot side. Took off quite a bit of material to smooth it and enlarge the waste gate hole etc. I think it flowed better as a result, but I have no proof, since at the same time, a guy name Brett was getting about the same numbers from a stock 7MGTE at the same boost, on the same turbo.)

With the stroker motor's extra displacement, this housing started to act like a CT26, with power falling off on top. The new setup is just barely running now, and I've only boosted to 11psi. (Wastegate spring.) It works great, has tire shredding power at this level, so I'm happy so far, but as I tune this engine, I'll always want to modify something to improve repsonse or power...