Bolt-on Boss bb turbo vs GT35R?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Toy-Rific;1335704 said:
Here is my 2 cents: We have run both of your two selections above. If you want a turbo to come on strong and make you hold on to the wheel than the 67 trim in either the stage 5 or P trim is the way to go. To help with lag you should go with the ball bearing set up.
In place of the 61, I would go with the GT61 and this is the one we are sticking with on our shop cars. A very good all around easy to drive turbo. Not quite as much power as the 67 trim but will break your tires loose in 3rd or 4th gear on the hi-way. It is a better choice of the two for street driving.
Either one is more HP than you asked for and will put down a good 550hp to the ground. I would tell you not to use an AFM on almost any turbo that is 500hp or more.

Thank you kindly for the response. For this next round, and perhaps longer term... I am leaning toward the GT61 or similar. I do not believe my application warrants nor desires more performance than 3rd~4th tire-squealing affords!:naughty:

I continue to research and listen closely to all the great input from in here and through outside correspondence alike.;)

-crisp

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Toy-Rific;1335704 said:
Here is my 2 cents: We have run both of your two selections above. If you want a turbo to come on strong and make you hold on to the wheel than the 67 trim in either the stage 5 or P trim is the way to go. To help with lag you should go with the ball bearing set up.
In place of the 61, I would go with the GT61 and this is the one we are sticking with on our shop cars. A very good all around easy to drive turbo. Not quite as much power as the 67 trim but will break your tires loose in 3rd or 4th gear on the hi-way. It is a better choice of the two for street driving.
Either one is more HP than you asked for and will put down a good 550hp to the ground. I would tell you not to use an AFM on almost any turbo that is 500hp or more.

Hmmm... just to confirm, is the GT61 using the GT35R ("R") ball bearing cartridge then? (or just journal...?)

Thank you,

-crisp

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
The way I understand it is yes, it is the Garrett GT35 wheel but Compturbo is using there Triple Ceramic Ball Bearing set up with it. I will call Compturbo and make sure I have the correct info.
Greg Clark

Toy-Rific

Jun 8, 2005
Minnesota
OK so I am wrong! I will have Jack add this new listing to to web. There is a differance and if I list it as a TO4E-361, which will have a 3" inlet with a 2" outlet or list it as a GTS-461, which will have a 4" inlet and a 21/2" outlet than this is the same wheel as the GT35R.