BHG or Thermo?

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Fuzz420 said:
nope a retorque will only make it worse, just park it so you dont trash the bottom end. Whats ironic is i was going to post ealier that my did the same thing acted normal and then went bad again but you've already figured that out, good luck to you

Uhm I disagree. Just make sure all of your bolts are tight. Some of them very well could have backed off and not have any prevailing torque at all.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
well i will check out the torque this weekend unless its real cold. the only reason i am gonna need to get it fixed is b/c i live on base. i cant do a motor swap here or anything. i am looking for a storage unit to do it in. so in order for me to get it there it will have to be drivable. plus i cant really sell a motor with a BHG anyways....

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
ok i just got done doing a retorque to 58 ft lbs. there were 4 bolts that i got a lil bit on. maybe like an 8th of a turn. i dunno if that is enough to worry about. is it going to hurt if i torque them down more? like maybe to 65?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
so it will be safe to go through and hit everything to 65, then back through to 70? i am just trying to use this step as a band aid to get me a couple weeks. hopefully!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
SMP142 said:
so it will be safe to go through and hit everything to 65, then back through to 70? i am just trying to use this step as a band aid to get me a couple weeks. hopefully!
Yea stock torque spec is not enough anyway. Do it the way JDub specified. Were any of the bolts loose?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
yeah there were about 4 bolts that were loose. i broke torque on all them. hit everything to 58. then 65 then 70. i got it all done last night and started it up. it did sound like it was running better. well i didnt leave it run long, idiot me had the alternator off earlier. well when i put it back on in the dark i forgot to hook the hot wire back up and it grazed the intake and blew a fuse. i was soo fed up with it i called it a night. i know i blew the 100a alternator fuse. i jumpered that up real quick but i am still not getting any power to anything. i was gonna mess with it today but its pissin rain and dark now. i will prob wait till its nice out before i mess with it anymore. but hopefully i can have good news from the re-torque.

BTW- the valve cover gaskets are really pissin me off. changed them twice and last night i had a huge amount of oil in the galley again. i cant wait to go 2j :)

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
SMP142 said:
BTW- the valve cover gaskets are really pissin me off. changed them twice and last night i had a huge amount of oil in the galley again. i cant wait to go 2j :)
Oil in the gally FTL :3d_frown:

Buddafucco

Beef Supreme
Mar 3, 2007
Tampa Bay
I put a t61 on my stock head gasket and coolant started coming out of the overflow. I have arp head bolts. I took it apart & retorqued them to 80 and have been beating on the car for 3 weeks now & the coolant in the bottle hasn't budged an inch since. I know I didn't fix it but it sure as hell helped alot.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
Frank Rizzo said:
Oil in the plug gally is not coming from your valve cover gaskets.

It's coming from your no.3 cylinder head cover bolts. Those four, 14mm allen head bolts between the valve covers.

no those are all tight, its just the crappy machine screws that hold the valve covers on. oh well though. not putting any more money in it than i have to.