BHG or Thermo?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
ok heres what happened. last night i went out to leave my friends house and the car warmed up. when i started going down the road my temp started going up. so i pulled over thinking it was my thermostat sticking. there was some steam coming out of the overflow bottle. i hit the thermo housing a few times with a rachet trying to break it lose just in case it was stuck. so my temp went back down and i went on down the road. not too long after it went up again. i pulled into a gas station and it was blowing pretty good steam outa the overflow. i let it cool down some and added about a liter of water. i got it back to my place and shut it down. it was like 3 AM so i went to bed.

today i added some coolant b/c it was a lil low again from it blowing out steam the night before. i start up my car and as it starts warming up there is a constant stream of water coming out the overflow tank tube. i shut it down and the radiator is low again. this makes no sense? could it be a BHG that is just pressurising my radiator and forcing it out my overflow? this kinda pisses me off. it couldnt wait another couple weeks for me to swap my new engine in. oh well. what yall think? thanks- Brian

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Sucks man - Just as a band aid I would make sure that your head bolts have a prevailing torque. Ive seen a few 7ms that have no torque at all on a few of the head bolts. Wouldnt take long to pop off the cam covers.

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
It sounds like a bhg. Mine started the same way. There are some otheir things you could try though. You could try a new radiator cap, thermastat, burping your cooling systom, and to do a coolant pressure test to llok for leaks. I made mine last about an extra month! Lol

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
I have a similar problem but my car doesnt overheat. I am finishing up my car and I dont drive it much so I didnt notice till this thanksgiving when I drove it.
Other things I noticed was the upper radiator hose colapsed. I checked my thermostat its practically new, changed my radiator cap, burped my collant system, checked the return canister and hose, checked my headstuds and they were torqued fine. I cant figure it out, sorry to thread jack.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Frank Rizzo said:
Block test.

Im coming off a full rebuild. The block was tested and inspected when I had it machined. They checked the wall thickness before boring they also checked for cracks. I trust my machinist. I dont know what happened, the car was running really well and I didnt boost it much nothing over 10psi since it is a full build and no high rpms either. Anything else it could be, I have a Titan<cometic> mhg ?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
FYI the temp gauge won't read crap if there isn't any coolant left for it to read. Sounds like classic BHG. Might just have some loose head bolts; a retorque could get ya a few more weeks...

ethan12510

Sep 14, 2007
Queensbury
mk3713 said:
Im coming off a full rebuild. The block was tested and inspected when I had it machined. They checked the wall thickness before boring they also checked for cracks. I trust my machinist. I dont know what happened, the car was running really well and I didnt boost it much nothing over 10psi since it is a full build and no high rpms either. Anything else it could be, I have a Titan<cometic> mhg ?

The block tester will check from exhaust gases in your antifreeze.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
started it up last night and couldnt get it to do anything guys. took it for a drive and still nothing, everything was normal. i am gonna check the head bolts. seems like the only times i have prob is when i dont let it fully warm up before driving. seems to me like a leaking HG but if i let the head and block warm up evenly it wont do it. i am bout to go in town to get an inspection done so i can transfer my title out of state. wish me luck. i'll let yall know what happens when i get back.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
SOB! its official, if the HG wasnt bad before it is now. i limped it back home today. i was at a light and the white smoke started flowin out back. i got to a parking lot and let it cool down. i started it back up and the smoke quit but i limped it back home. so much for getting my inspection done. think a retorque might fix it for a couple weeks? this is the last thing i needed lol.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
well this sucks, looks like i got a HG job ahead of me this weekend! shouldnt go too bad though. might as well put a Cometic while i am doing it. what ya guys think. 1.3mm or 2.0mm thick?

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Is there oil/water froth on the bottom side of the oil fill cap? If so, check the weather forcast for the next warm weekend or just park it until spring.
I HATE doing headgaskets when my fingers are numb from being cold.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
SMP142 said:
well this sucks, looks like i got a HG job ahead of me this weekend! shouldnt go too bad though. might as well put a Cometic while i am doing it. what ya guys think. 1.3mm or 2.0mm thick?
Aren't you dropping another motor in it soon? It would seem wastefull to put that much work into it if your just gunna swap it out in a few months. MHG thickness is determined by the amount of head material removed; the more removed the thicker the gasket needs to be.