Battery in Trunk - How have you?

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I have the battery now in the boot / trunk and i am wondering how its been mounted by people that have done it - found a few good threads but the pictures are no longer showing up.

I have a Exide Orbital and there are two holes in the centre for mounting.

I have thought about having 2 threaded rods coming up through the floor of the boot / trunk and bolting from the top and bottom.

Soooooo how have others done the mounting side of things?

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
Here is my Set Up

I buy a Kit in Summit Racing

p1191752_1.jpg

I wire positive wire with a electrical flex hose, front the battery to the engine.

For negative wire I connect the 3fit wire in the backside, and buy anther black wire to install from the battery to the engine bay

p1191752_2.jpg

For the negative, I buy a ground kit

p1191752_3.jpg

.com/albums/a7/CarlosPtr210/Picture008.jpg[/IMG]

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
CarlosPTR210;1191752 said:
[thumb]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/CarlosPtr210/Augost2806016.jpg[/thumb]

Is it just me, or is that exhaust cutout pointing right at your battery cables?

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
shaeff;1191795 said:
Is it just me, or is that exhaust cutout pointing right at your battery cables?

That is an old picture, when the installation was finish, I install a metal Shield plate to avoid the hot exhaust gas damage all the hose or wiring.

let me see if I have other picture with the metal shield install it.

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
Like the old setup carlos.
Heres mine w/ killswitch:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Still need to figure out how to cover the terminals on the switch though...

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
By track legal I mean drag racing and such. I occassionally like to drag race my Supra at PIR and I have to conform to NHRA safety rules. So my setup requires a metal box and a kill switch (still need to run a cable to the alternator).

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I like the sound of dropping the tank only slightly to mount the threaded rod.

I will get on to that as soon as i have some spare time. Looks like i will mount it to the rear-left corner with enough space to get to the bulbs.

Whats with the bottles in the trunks also?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i liked the mounting of it in the spare tire well. that was REALLY clean.

im going to see where i can cut into and have a box semi-drop down so i can have it flush in the trunk so you dont even see it.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
honestabe;1192226 said:
You mean the drivers side or the passenger side? Because the passenger side has a nice large shelf to mount on. It also helps with the balance of the car.

Oopps.

Yeah the right rear. and is the drivers side (ex japan car ) :D

Captain

Sep 30, 2008
NM
^^^ I will have to try that, Thanks.

Honestabe: I didnt think it had to be metal to be legal. The one I bought was NHRA legal if mounted behind the firewall in passenger area.

Rennat: Thanks. I was trying to make it flush with, or just under the wooden cover in the back but i used a decent sized battery and box. It might be possible to do with out cutting any sheet metal with the right battery and box.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
how is everyone's targa fitment? I've been meaning to do this, but I'm afraid of how well the targa will fit

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Captain, the battery box according to the NHRA can only be Steel or Aluminum. If you want I can grab the rule book and quote it for you. BTW, I have one of those plastic battery boxes but had to buy a netal box to be track legal.